A Heads Up for My Australian Friends - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-30-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
A Heads Up for My Australian Friends

Today I was at Fast Eddies, a car fabricator in Orange, California. There was a 58 Corvette in very bad shape.He told me he was in the process of making it a right-hand drive car.I asked him why.He told me it was going to Australia. The car was being totally remade with a very nice V-8 engine and a manual transmission. It will be green in color. The car should be shipped by next April.

I just thought you might want to be aware of this.

12 cylinders or walk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-30-2015, 09:41 PM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Today I was at Fast Eddies, a car fabricator in Orange, California. There was a 58 Corvette in very bad shape.He told me he was in the process of making it a right-hand drive car.I asked him why.He told me it was going to Australia. The car was being totally remade with a very nice V-8 engine and a manual transmission. It will be green in color. The car should be shipped by next April.

I just thought you might want to be aware of this.

Thanks for passing that on I will keep an eye out you may find it has already been bought.
I am surprised the Aussie dollar has dropped significantly against the US so its surprising any one is importing cars.

Age doesn't matter unless you are a cheese
post #3 of 8 Old 01-30-2015, 11:45 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
Thanks Bart,

US muscle cars are big business here. Usually they are imported here, converted to RHD and then sold for a tidy profit. For example, there is a 2006 Ford GT here for $599,000. The 2014 Shelby GT500s around $180,000, 2013 super snakes $290,000. Add another $20,000 or so for on road costs. I don't know how these prices relate to yours but I would anticipate there is a healthy premium built in.

The good news for us is that factory Mustangs are definitaley coming here and it was announced a fortnight ago that so are the corvettes. This is because our locally made fords and gmhs are stopping production. When these cars arrive these rhd conversion businesses will be toast - well at least for new cars.

David.

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali

post #4 of 8 Old 01-31-2015, 10:49 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
David- Are new car prices expected to rise once Australia loses its indigenous manufacturing capability and all cars are imported?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-31-2015, 11:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Seems like Australia is one tough cookie when it comes to such rules and regulations.

I have virtually zero knowledge, but my sole experience was when I purchased my Abarth, which I imported from Australia. The Abarth being a left hand drive car that got imported into Australia prior must have been a nightmare for the previous owner to deal with the red tape bs. The records seem to prove that. Somehow, he got the government to approve his import.

Compared to Australia, Japan do not seem to care RHD or LHD or middle ? Knowing how this country can be a nightmare, I have no answer to that.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #6 of 8 Old 01-31-2015, 01:33 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Jimmy- The UK is the same way, but they are kind of forced to it because the Continent is so close and there is even a chunnel.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-31-2015, 01:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
David- Are new car prices expected to rise once Australia loses its indigenous manufacturing capability and all cars are imported?
If anything prices should go south. Imported cars are subject to a high tariff. The rationale for this was that this made our expensive locally made Aussie cars competitively priced for us. Now that there will be no Aussie car industry to support, the tariffs should be removed. Somehow I can't see this government windfall stopping.

David.

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali
post #8 of 8 Old 02-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16M Down Under View Post
If anything prices should go south. Imported cars are subject to a high tariff. The rationale for this was that this made our expensive locally made Aussie cars competitively priced for us. Now that there will be no Aussie car industry to support, the tariffs should be removed. Somehow I can't see this government windfall stopping.

David.
David I agree, there has been a reduction of some of the 4 wheeled white goods due to the free trade with China but the above LCT threshold its taxes as usual.

Graeme

Age doesn't matter unless you are a cheese

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode