Mondial t with Valeo Semi-Auto Transmission - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 04-17-2009, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
cgt
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 143
Mondial t with Valeo Semi-Auto Transmission

I know this is a very rare car, but does anyone have any real world experience of running one of these over a period of time. Currently pondering one of these as well as a Maserati 4200 and a Porsche.

Would be nice to have two F cars in the garage but really not sure about the reliability or otherwise of this car.

Also, is the roof on a 1993 Mondial (one of the last) power operated or manual? Does anybody have photos of the mechanism?

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Do you need the rear seats? If not, why not consider a 308 GTS, you can pick up some great bargains at present.

Archie
post #3 of 26 Old 04-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
From what I understand the Valeo was the forerunner of the F1 transmission.

It is supposedly a reliable gearbox but there are so few around it's hard to know for sure.

You may want to take a look at this: http://www.automobilesdeluxe.tv/pran...ari-mondial-t/

As with any Ferrari examining the car will tell you in advance what what you may be confronted.

post #4 of 26 Old 04-17-2009, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
cgt
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Do you need the rear seats? If not, why not consider a 308 GTS, you can pick up some great bargains at present.
Would love to, another friend of mine made exactly the same suggestion, but sadly I am too tall and feet are too big to fit in a 308
post #5 of 26 Old 04-17-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
cgt
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
From what I understand the Valeo was the forerunner of the F1 transmission.

It is supposedly a reliable gearbox but there are so few around it's hard to know for sure.

You may want to take a look at this: http://www.automobilesdeluxe.tv/pran...ari-mondial-t/

As with any Ferrari examining the car will tell you in advance what what you may be confronted.
Many thanks for the link.
post #6 of 26 Old 04-18-2009, 01:03 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
If you want a Ferrari with the Valeo clutch, track down Angelini's old F40.

Seriously, so few were made and it was so long ago, if you have any mechanical problems, not sure you wold be able to find anyone to fix it or the parts.
post #7 of 26 Old 03-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgt View Post
I know this is a very rare car, but does anyone have any real world experience of running one of these over a period of time. Currently pondering one of these as well as a Maserati 4200 and a Porsche.

Would be nice to have two F cars in the garage but really not sure about the reliability or otherwise of this car.

Thanks guys
TOP GEAR's Video Review of the VALEO: http://www.ferrarimondial.net/2009/0...w-on-top-gear/

I have talked with two owners of the Valeo and they swear by it: Rock.

Only probs I've heard were you CAN do more seemless shifts [too easy, less driver involvement], it can do fast, burn out like starts, and if you haven't the correct gear, it'll let you know: especially when you come to a stop and were, say, in > 2nd gear.

It is fairly fast or as fast as needed for the 348/Mondial setup.

there is no clutch ped, just gas and brake. You let up on the gas like you were shifting, and as soon as you touch the standard looking shifter, it disengages the gear/clutch[? not all sure on mechanics here] and you shift and then gas back as you would to meet the selected gear: sylized of course for up vs down shifting.

One owner has a red/tan cabriolet, and the other a coup, whch I thought would be extreemly rare.

They are newer than most T's so, the long term repairs and such are perhaps still a mystery.

I believe they would be a great car for a collector as I believe they not only are very rare, but did, as said, became the forerunner of the first F1 style shifter in a mass produced Ferrari...then again, the Ts had a lot of firsts. They used the same transmission, it's just the engagement of the clutch that was different. I've been also told the Valeos system has a sort of memory on it that can be downloaded but not sure.

When shifting, if you haven't tried them, they are almost similar to the tiptronics in Porsches, but way better than the VW ones: so I've been told.

Also, there is one, exclussive F40 fitted with the Valeo: One of for a very special Ferrari customer.

Only a dealership probably know how to service the item, but the tranny should be the same only the electrical shifting portion is needing replacement and that's sort of a plug and play thing from what I see.

They were about a $10-12k option IIRC and the part for the harness replacement = $2k. I'm sure RICAMBI has more info as they probalby have serviced some for parts but from what I've heard, I'll bet Daniel would special order such a high priced inventory part, and has little call for such.

I have been asking for years of the number produced, and a seperate listing in, say, Cavallino for their price [they list F1 355s apart], but not done because I believe no one truly has researched or knows: They command a premium at any sale....if you find one, test drive it for sure.

Quote:
Also, is the roof on a 1993 Mondial (one of the last) power operated or manual? Does anybody have photos of the mechanism?
MAN you DO want it really easy

it's manual, and my shots of it are blurry. IT can be, um, challenging...just make sure the retracting arms are free, that one tricky cross bar-member is folded back correclty, and it should just slap right down. It's the UP that's a [email protected]
I've done it by my self numerous times, but it can be a workout as it gets REAL tight to try and lock it down. SOME, not I [I'm dumb like that] loosen the VERY WEAK clamps then retighten just before lock down...too much work.

There are aftermarket stronger clamps for the top, made of SS and much better than original clamps which everyone, if they've had the car long enough or play with the top enough, wind up breaking one....not a big deal....

My top is almost always down...Just starting to let it up while driving in the rain, but NOW I need a new A-Pillar, or cowling seal...not too expensive, but mine has gotten a bit compressed and stiffer causing some leakage near the corner front, top.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 03-26-2010 at 03:28 PM.
post #8 of 26 Old 06-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Owner

Bump

I would sure like to get some more direct input from an owner.

I believe this Valeo would be very nice to own.....my hips on the off-set shifting are getting a bit worn unlike the more in-line pedals of the 456.

anyone?

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #9 of 26 Old 08-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Owner

Blue Chiaro/Tan 1993 Mondial T Cabrio Valeo: A Steal

I don't know why, but every time I see a Chiaro/tan combo I go 'MAN!!'

This example is a Valeo system, and has everything going for it to include being in AZ/Dry climate.

At $36,000, honest to Betsy, I only wish I had the extra change at the moment as I feel THIS IS A STEAL.

man. That's about the going price for a well kept earlier T and NO Valeo.
Attached Images

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #10 of 26 Old 08-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #11 of 26 Old 08-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Owner

I just knew it would open up that debate, so here goes:

- Mondial T, cabriolets, expecially late modes in good order at selling $35+-50k. I know those that are not buying them will argue that is nonsense, but the numbers hold

- I would spring for that rather nice combo, but do know it's not everyone's taste.

- it's a Valeo. We can debate that one, but Ferrari's first real production attempt into the almost F1-style intro, is worth some mention. It is a good autoshifter. From all I've spoken who own the car it is that good. Same transmission, must a mechanical shifter that engages for you on the stick touch.

I know the regular 2-seater set will state a 3x8 is perhaps worth that, and we know they hold prices, but 'as those types would say' would would pay good money for a Mondial or any other four-seater

To those I say. There is a Ferrari for everyone and they get what the market handles...of course.

I also know many older Mondials that still [don't get it for me] get near the 30 mark....

The T is a much better example IMO, albeit the extra maintenance costs are high.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #12 of 26 Old 06-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Mondial T Valeo values

I agree the values have probably bottomed and will hold and increase going forward especially considering they only imported about 25 (have read 24-30 from multiple sources). A recent '92 with 33k miles sold for $25k on eBay but needs the 30k engine-out service performed...
post #13 of 26 Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burch1 View Post
I agree the values have probably bottomed and will hold and increase going forward especially considering they only imported about 25 (have read 24-30 from multiple sources). A recent '92 with 33k miles sold for $25k on eBay but needs the 30k engine-out service performed...
I don't know of any 1992 valeo. They were 1993. but 25 k for a valeo is nuts cheap. Actually too low for a late model T.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #14 of 26 Old 06-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
I don't know of any 1992 valeo. They were 1993. but 25 k for a valeo is nuts cheap. Actually too low for a late model T.
What are late Mondial t spiders going for these days?
post #15 of 26 Old 06-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
What are late Mondial t spiders going for these days?
Depending on what source you subscribe, they are seemingly in the [still] touted $30-60k range. The higher marks attributed to low mileage, garage-like queens, with pristine leather and exterior. I would also state, to those that know, the Valeo would be the highest end of that mark, but many Mondial T owners, even, are ignorant of them and [I'm one] steered away from them in the start of my search becuase 'they were not a classic stick': Today, I would have honestly taken the Valeo over the stick, as I get enough manual with other Ferrari vehicles. Experiencing the Valeo for that almost 2+2 style, was a good engineering choice. It will IMO become a much sought after Ferrari vs any other Mondial.

back on price. 'spiders'/Cabriolets, really, hold the higher values, but if I were in a more rainy climate I'd go for the coupe easily. I'm not in that area so the cabs are really great. My top hardly has ever been up more that half a dozen times and mostly becuase the dealer, when servicing wanted lack of dust in the interior and put it up.

The lower prices are the result of persons not springing for the manditor engine out necessary maintenance and pass such along to lower qualified mechanics. Everyone balks at that $5-8K USD price!

Coups, produced were 858 total, of which probably 10% easily have gone from the market.
Cabs, produced were 1,017, commanding about a 5K premium over coups unless the Valeo is in factor where an minimum additional $5k can be tacked on the price.

Actually, the prices seem to still be depreciating just slightly in the low end where five years ago the were about $10k higher than today, but then again you are not getting a great example and we know where that can lead: There are no bargains, you'll put another few K into that low end to make it market correct.

The unfortunate, as the 348/355 case is, about every multiple of '3' years has the owner questioning their involvement. When the major comes about, one does NOT only just change the belts as sometimes only needed, but the full tuneup, probably the water pump, which would be expensive-cheap insurance [oxi here] as well as tensioners bearings again and any other misc part that can be addressed when engine is out. Gas recirc canister for example, rear window dressings etc.

about that multiple time, the owner goes through the calculations. I love the car. I wonder at this continued high engine out expense. Ok, I'm in, pay for it and drive knowing full well that as the clock ticks, they re-address that calculation with a couple other factors thrown in like, "Do I now address those rock chips, and leather pieces, and shock, steering pumps etc. etc." and "OMG the rear windows are not coming up...." 'stuff'.

Not a light car. I would have been many many dollars ahead buying a 430 or even the 360, but here I am. No one said your first loss of virginity would not cost, and my Mondial T was my first Ferrari purchase.

Once again, prices. I would expect to pay about $45k for a cabriolet in decent order. I would seriously NOT accept $55k for mine. I would expect to pay an additional $10k for the Valeo example due to the fact it's the last year of production, and the newest most pristine version with the highest version of technology making it the most 'rare'. One extra star for that.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Last edited by Granucci; 06-08-2012 at 08:12 AM.
post #16 of 26 Old 06-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Great write up and much appreciate all the information.
post #17 of 26 Old 07-08-2012, 02:10 AM
Owner

Driving a Mondial T Valeo

I can tell you that after being a new owner of one after a month now it is a fab system.
The shifting is very fast and smooth with you only using the gas pedal and the shifter. There is no hesitation or miss-shift's.
I wonder why Ferrari did not continue to offer this system on other models as it seems like a great alternative to an automatic or clutch pedal system, especially in stop-n-go traffic.
Still wondering exactly how many were imported into the US....
Cheers,
Greg

post #18 of 26 Old 07-08-2012, 02:19 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burch1 View Post
I can tell you that after being a new owner of one after a month now it is a fab system.
The shifting is very fast and smooth with you only using the gas pedal and the shifter. There is no hesitation or miss-shift's.
I wonder why Ferrari did not continue to offer this system on other models as it seems like a great alternative to an automatic or clutch pedal system, especially in stop-n-go traffic.
Still wondering exactly how many were imported into the US....
Cheers,
Greg

My understanding is that Ferrari had decided to leverage the F1 paddle system that they were already beginning to use in F1 for road cars. Hence development went into that and not the valeo system.
post #19 of 26 Old 07-08-2012, 02:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgt View Post

Thanks guys
As a Ferrari & Maserati man, I'd recommend you to try the Maserati 4200 as by then they were fairly well sorted, their prior 3200 was unreliable, if you can make the jump I'd seriously consider a GranSport, either a standard or LE version, the latter was their run out model pre the GranTurismo, all are great cars to own, their v8 noise is intoxicating, the wraparound cockpit & drivers position are spot on and the handling is well sorted - happy hunting

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider

Last edited by Scottish16M; 07-08-2012 at 02:48 AM.
post #20 of 26 Old 10-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Owner

Mondial T valeo

Hello, Im new at this and so is my 1993 MONDIALT CABRIOLET VALEO Just bought it yesterday, It has 19631 miles and has had all major services performed. the big one 3000 miles ago as per the Ferrari dealer who ran the serial numbers, This is an AWESOME auto and gets better every mile I drive it . It seemed strange at first "shifting without a clutch" but Im already a pro.Its almost as if the car anticipates your next move.Anyway I bought it for Spec and after further research found that there were ONLY (5) FIVE in the whole world made in 1993 and (3) coupes and that a lot RARER then I thought. GO VALEO! Its a beautifull red with a tan gut and black top
and a set of Gorgeous custom Vellano VSH in matching red wheels..Does any one know how many units were produced in 1993.I know 1010 was the total number produced for all years. Does anyone know what this car could be valued at with its new found RARENESS Thanks John

Last edited by agapimenos; 10-27-2012 at 06:13 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode