Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   2+2: 365, 400, 412, Mondial (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/2-2-365-400/)
-   -   Mondial T Rear Window Motor Removal (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/2-2-365-400/9472-mondial-t-rear-window.html)

Elaine 03-16-2009 11:02 AM

Mondial T Rear Window Motor Removal

Hi

My left hand rear window motor appears to have packed up. There is no response when operating the window switch. Have checked fuses and swapped switches around (other side works ok). I thought I would take the motor out and take a look but access is very difficult and also have no idea where to start. Can anyone offer any advice? Many Thanks. Elaine (Ireland).

Granucci 03-16-2009 01:58 PM

is this a coup or cabriolet and year please

rik

PS: Welcome

Gcalo 03-16-2009 04:33 PM

Considering when you are from I think I'd wait until after tomorrow to start that project!!!

D.Mauro 03-16-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elaine (Post 90020)
Hi

My left hand rear window motor appears to have packed up. There is no response when operating the window switch. Have checked fuses and swapped switches around (other side works ok). I thought I would take the motor out and take a look but access is very difficult and also have no idea where to start. Can anyone offer any advice? Many Thanks. Elaine (Ireland).

Before you take it out try and slide a flat rod down to the motor, and tap the rod with a hammer, while someone esle is pressing the window switch. They bind a lot and sometimes it works. They need to be exercise weekly to keep them working. You will need to take the motor and regulator out together as they are one part. it is a fiat part by the way.

Gcalo 03-16-2009 07:46 PM

Ok now tell her how to get it out!

That was her original question.

But wait until after tomorrow because she may be drinking too much green beer tomorrow!!!

D.Mauro 03-16-2009 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gcalo (Post 90057)
Ok now tell her how to get it out!

That was her original question.

But wait until after tomorrow because she may be drinking too much green beer tomorrow!!!

Carefully!!

Gcalo 03-16-2009 08:31 PM

You are a big help!!!

D.Mauro 03-16-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gcalo (Post 90063)
You are a big help!!!

I did it afew years ago, car is not here. Top needs to be down, for it be alitte easier, first remove the trim around the window,one bolt that holds the top arms. two bolts you will see them and one or two bolt on the bottom requires removal of the rear tire and rear innerwell, to get access. It is a pita. It is just solong ago and my car is not here to look at it.

Elaine 03-17-2009 12:44 AM

Thanks guys. By the way, yes it is a cabriolet (in answer to the first question) and it is 1990. And yes, we are heading to the St.Patrick's Day parade in Limerick City today....we are heading up the parade in one of my other cars....a 1970 MGB Roadster....so not too much booze (not until later anyway). We are transporting the Heineken Cup (big gold trophy) and a local rugby star in the car.

Down to business though, problem is the window glass is up. I cannot therefore lower the roof as the window needs to be down. Is there a way to lower the glass manually? To be honest, it doesn't look like removal of the rear tyre will give me access but I'll take another look. We did get the side grill off and there is a small 5" x 3" access panel which just fits a small hand and allows very limited access to bolts etc. I will try a gentle tap though before getting too stuck in. That seems to work on old starter motors so might work here.

If I could get the motor out we have a little man that can repair / recondition it (and much cheaper than a new one!). Also, did notice FIAT written on the mechanism as you say so a part number should allow me to get a FIAT one (probably also at much less cost). When the clutch slave cylinder went we noticed that was made in England....is any of this car truly Ferrari??!! Appreciate the help.

D.Mauro 03-17-2009 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elaine (Post 90075)
Thanks guys. By the way, yes it is a cabriolet (in answer to the first question) and it is 1990. And yes, we are heading to the St.Patrick's Day parade in Limerick City today....we are heading up the parade in one of my other cars....a 1970 MGB Roadster....so not too much booze (not until later anyway). We are transporting the Heineken Cup (big gold trophy) and a local rugby star in the car.

Down to business though, problem is the window glass is up. I cannot therefore lower the roof as the window needs to be down. Is there a way to lower the glass manually? To be honest, it doesn't look like removal of the rear tyre will give me access but I'll take another look. We did get the side grill off and there is a small 5" x 3" access panel which just fits a small hand and allows very limited access to bolts etc. I will try a gentle tap though before getting too stuck in. That seems to work on old starter motors so might work here.

If I could get the motor out we have a little man that can repair / recondition it (and much cheaper than a new one!). Also, did notice FIAT written on the mechanism as you say so a part number should allow me to get a FIAT one (probably also at much less cost). When the clutch slave cylinder went we noticed that was made in England....is any of this car truly Ferrari??!! Appreciate the help.

There is bolt connecting the arms to the rest of the frame remove that and you should be able to lower the,might take some different positions. That motor might not beable to be repaired, because of the way it is built. Over the years we have not beable to find any one to rebuild these motors. They 6-800.00 each. good luck

Granucci 03-17-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elaine (Post 90075)
Is there a way to lower the glass manually?.

No. Tapping the motor might help. Also try looking for the relays and swap some of those about.

Does the switch engage the motor at all? Try sending it UP instead of down.

correct in that you cannot lower roof with window up.

Rear tire should not make a diff, Try this site, I am NOT finding unfortunately the rear window assembly http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTabl...&A=2&B=21163&S=

the closest I came is this for a cabriolet, but doesn't look correct: http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTabl...&A=2&B=21176&S=

only the fronts, but it does show the panels to remove.

Quote:

all last are true..it is a simple motor.

Little man, this close to St Pat's day=lepricon :D

Gcalo 03-17-2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granucci (Post 90094)
---tapping---Little man, this close to St Pat's day=lepricon :D

This is getting scary!

Not on St Paddy's Day, please!!!

He'll be green with envy!!!

Granucci 03-17-2009 10:18 AM

Just remembered something: I was taking off my side strakes last week, and there is an access panel that gets you to the inner wiring of that area....which might translate to the motors etc.

The rear window wiring is accessed thought the "cheese graters " on the outside, the fronts the inside door skin. It is possible to fish the new wires through the existing flex door-conduit. Use heavy gauge stranded wire for current and flexibility, some of that fancy speaker wire works well.

The strakes/graters come off fairly easily, and since yours is a '90 you'll have to be VERY VERY careful, in those are plastic and tend to break the tines over time. Two screws in the intake hole area, push gently the rear strakes towards the front of car, being careful to have someone guide the tines out of their slots. They usually come out very easy.

rik

Gcalo 03-17-2009 10:43 AM

This window issue is becoming an real pane!

D.Mauro 03-17-2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granucci (Post 90097)
Just remembered something: I was taking off my side strakes last week, and there is an access panel that gets you to the inner wiring of that area....which might translate to the motors etc.

The rear window wiring is accessed thought the "cheese graters " on the outside, the fronts the inside door skin. It is possible to fish the new wires through the existing flex door-conduit. Use heavy gauge stranded wire for current and flexibility, some of that fancy speaker wire works well.

The strakes/graters come off fairly easily, and since yours is a '90 you'll have to be VERY VERY careful, in those are plastic and tend to break the tines over time. Two screws in the intake hole area, push gently the rear strakes towards the front of car, being careful to have someone guide the tines out of their slots. They usually come out very easy.

rik

One thing to add on the strakes is clean out all the wax in each strake with toothpicks it will free them up. Also go on www.ricambia.com for a blow up of the rear window.

D.Mauro 03-17-2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granucci (Post 90094)
No. Tapping the motor might help. Also try looking for the relays and swap some of those about.

Does the switch engage the motor at all? Try sending it UP instead of down.

correct in that you cannot lower roof with window up.

Rear tire should not make a diff, Try this site, I am NOT finding unfortunately the rear window assembly http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTabl...&A=2&B=21163&S=

the closest I came is this for a cabriolet, but doesn't look correct: http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTabl...&A=2&B=21176&S=

only the fronts, but it does show the panels to remove.

all last are true..it is a simple motor.

Little man, this close to St Pat's day=lepricon :D

Is she talking about Greg?

Granucci 03-17-2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.Mauro (Post 90100)
One thing to add on the strakes is clean out all the wax in each strake with toothpicks it will free them up. Also go on www.ricambia.com for a blow up of the rear window.

Linkie-no-workie -- try this one http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_...E&V=model&I=13

Greg is bigger than any munchkin.....afterall, he can reach the gas pedals and, that's a sure test....jury out on being a leperchaun

or green

or irish.....

or any of those with a yarmulke

Gcalo 03-17-2009 01:14 PM

yarmukle.

You are getting very warm now!

You are using your head.

Say doesn't this thread add a new meaning to the term,"can you give me a lift"?

Granucci 03-17-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gcalo (Post 90106)
yarmukle.

You are getting very warm now!

You are using your head.

Say doesn't this thread add a new meaning to the term,"can you give me a lift"?

I see right thru your meaning and raise you a clear view to a better answer...she sounds in a real bind....without that top down, no award....the bling will go to an MG :yikes:

albeit, dad had an awsome '53er in Hawaii

Gcalo 03-17-2009 03:07 PM

You have made the window issue quite clear.

What's with the dirty Mondial?