Mondial T Rear Window Motor Removal - Page 2 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 44 Old 03-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192

I told the two Brians to not let you, and your fussbudget ways near that car.....they were to toss the lathe in the driveway.....

ya', well, like my post said, brainchild [that be me] decided two weeks ago to diamondsaw some granite for the BBQ....
of course it was raining,
of course I was in the garage,
of course I COULDN'T wait,
of course I DIDN'T EVEN OPEN THE DOOR

of course I have dust everywhere....

what you see is someone with multiple degrees, and the ability to FAIL

sigh,

know what I'll be doing for the next few weekend, but honestly it's been beggin, the garage, for a cleaning...

unlike you and your total remodel....painting the floors too ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
You ahve made the window issue quite clear.

What's with the dirty Mondial?

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 Old 03-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Sounds like you took that job for granite!
post #23 of 44 Old 03-21-2009, 02:45 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
Also, did notice FIAT written on the mechanism as you say so a part number should allow me to get a FIAT one (probably also at much less cost). When the clutch slave cylinder went we noticed that was made in England....is any of this car truly Ferrari??!! Appreciate the help.
If it was a Fiat or original manufacturer number (i.e Bosch), you should be able to order it ex Ferrari and save a quite a bit.

post #24 of 44 Old 03-21-2009, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
Quick update lads. We got the glass out ok (even with roof up). Couple of screws to undo and it was out. Next we tackle the regulator - will keep you updated. Looks like two bolts and that too should lift out. Weather in Ireland unseasonably warm, sunny and dry and nice to get roof down again now that glass is out of the way.
post #25 of 44 Old 03-22-2009, 02:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 123
Quote:
Quick update lads. We got the glass out ok (even with roof up). Couple of screws to undo and it was out. Next we tackle the regulator - will keep you updated. Looks like two bolts and that too should lift out. Weather in Ireland unseasonably warm, sunny and dry and nice to get roof down again now that glass is out of the way.
Elaine, when you get the motor and regulator out before you replace it, try cleaning all the grease out, because the grease,ferrari used turns hard as a rock, ad that sometimes causes the probem.
post #26 of 44 Old 03-22-2009, 02:51 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Well done !
post #27 of 44 Old 03-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Owner

Quote:

Elain, you will probably be the champ on getting to these items so if possible, post some pics or handdrawn diagrams etc.

rik

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #28 of 44 Old 03-28-2009, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Hello everyone. Sorry its been so long replying...but good news. The job is done. It was a dirty one but we got there in the end. We took photos along the way and I will write up a set of instructions and post them soon. The best bit is, after getting it out and after much attention and cleaning, the regulator began working again so total cost of job was zero! Just a bit of hard labour! Very happy now. Thanks for all comments. Promise to write up notes with pics soon.
post #29 of 44 Old 03-28-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner

My Ferrari!
Attached Images

post #30 of 44 Old 03-29-2009, 02:01 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Hello everyone. Sorry its been so long replying...but good news. The job is done. It was a dirty one but we got there in the end. We took photos along the way and I will write up a set of instructions and post them soon. The best bit is, after getting it out and after much attention and cleaning, the regulator began working again so total cost of job was zero! Just a bit of hard labour! Very happy now. Thanks for all comments. Promise to write up notes with pics soon.
Very well done. Congrats.
post #31 of 44 Old 12-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Owner

Bump

Ok, GUESS WHAT...... ok, I'll tell you.

MY rear, passenger window stopped working. BAD thing is in the down position.

I took off the side strake, and the access panel and can see the glass and motor and channel but cannot make it budge.

Tried to reverse the switches on the rear console, and it's not the switch, as the other glass goes up/down just fine when I switched them. BTW, just using a simple flat-head driver pries up the switch fine from the leather..but be gentle.

Took it to Rob's in Petaluma, and asked him for better assistance as it was starting to rain, and I'm down to a single vehicle [don't ask about the 456: It's either a curse or addiction....I'll let you know when I take the dead chicken necklace off as well as dust off the VISA].
nuff

Rob started on the item and [in his gentle manner] shrieked: DUDE, this is a nightmare. IF in the up position, then not much of a problem. IN THE down you have to remove the rear-passenger tire, the pan for oil and .. it goes on. It was due for it's belt change, and I want HILL engr. bearings in there now and [even though I put in a new OEM waterpump, will opt to have this one rebuild with better bearings]. Ok, so engine is coming out...might as well make it a 'bargain' 'while we are in there'......

We both searched many solutions to this problem and some were decent, BUT always with the window up: You'll need much more patience if in down mode. IF it were on Left side/[NA]Driver's side, then the access is much much easier.

<*searching for a toad to lick *> [BTW, again, .... I don't have the room nor the time, otherwise I'd make this a project....]

Will keep you posted. and WITH some pics, Rob said he'll be posting some so I'll link them here for all to see.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #32 of 44 Old 01-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Owner

BUMP-Some updates

Quote:
Hi

My left hand rear window motor appears to have packed up. There is no response when operating the window switch. Have checked fuses and swapped switches around (other side works ok). I thought I would take the motor out and take a look but access is very difficult and also have no idea where to start. Can anyone offer any advice? Many Thanks. Elaine (Ireland).

Elain's solution on the LEFT hand window is relatively EASY. Just wait till Rob and I start our picture posting on he RIGHT HAND SIDE = Engine out!!!

ya'...it's a hoot...while in there we decided to do its required 3 year / 30k mile tune up which, oh boy, resulted in yet another thread on the Fuel Evap. Canister almost [praying] a REBUILD ON THE Engine.

Guys, you'll have to check this thing out. Good Thing I have Rob, and excellent mech. working on the item[s]. He's in Petaluma, CA and if you need work that must be done and others are getting too full--shoot, look up Rob any way, then go to Rob Stewart Engr./Racing.

OK< the particulars.

The RIGHT HAND window is NOT easy.
1. We need to shoot some Ferrari designers
2. The Oil Sump MUST come out to get anywhere into that area= Engine out guys....GOOD luck doing otherwise as
3. This is especially true if the window is in the DOWN position. IF up you might -- doubtful -- have better luck: Appreciate ANYONE that can tell me different. I know the rear seating area is removeable, but that just isn't the issue.
4. The part is really weird. Uses a spring to raise/lower the window track which has a motor about center of the spring. There are some of the smallest bearings that contain themselves about the spring's groove[correct term?] of the compresses spring. I'll attach a better descreption later, but honestly they could have just uses some sort of mech like the antennas and skipped this exercise in design to college pranks.

5. Major problem seems to be: The spring's lubricant, got old, siezed causing the ball bearings NOT to move and frying the motor. Cost of the part > $800 for the entire track and spring and motor unit. Ya' another example of engineering ... why you can't just replace the motor is another reason to get upset.

will be posting pics on this, in a bit.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #33 of 44 Old 03-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 18
these windows are pain in ass if anyone has replaced with manual or plex/pin like a race car pls let me know
post #34 of 44 Old 03-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by twestby View Post
these windows are pain in ass if anyone has replaced with manual or plex/pin like a race car pls let me know

Understand what you are saying and would be good if racing, but on the Mondials, coup or cab I belive that wouldn't look as good.

And you are correct, window [like in my other thread I did on 'fixing' my lock driver door] on any of the four is a PITA.

Thankfully I usually drive it in good weather only...

BTW: Will be replacing the top, window gasket as in the rain and whith weathering the rubber part has become too hard and non-responsive to lubes etc....just replacing it seems the ticket.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #35 of 44 Old 03-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Owner

Context

Thought, just in case the threads since similar and in different spots, will make it easier to keep together---being in the SQL biz, I hate searching: http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/sh...232#post114232

Some good insight and info on window issues. ^

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #36 of 44 Old 03-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
Rear Window Stuck on my '83 Mondial Too!

Before I go to the mechanic, can you please explain the flat rod approach in detail? Where is the flat rod inserted, along side the window?

I cannot lower the window and therefore the top cover will not fasten. This is no fun!

Thanks
post #37 of 44 Old 04-07-2010, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Detailed Instructions on Removing Rear LHS Window Regulator

Hi everyone....Sooooorrrrrrryyyy it's taken sooooooo long to do this. Very naughty leaving it this long but here are my detailed instructions on removing the rear left hand side window glass and regulator from the Mondial with glass stuck in the UP position. These instructions may not apply to glass stuck in the DOWN position but some tips might work. Here we go....

Name:  Step 1.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  Step 2.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  Step 3.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  Step 4.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  41.9 KB

Name:  Step 5.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  32.5 KB

Name:  Step 6.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  Step 7.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  Step 8.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  39.6 KB

Name:  Step 9.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  Step 10.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  44.4 KB

Name:  Step 11.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  34.9 KB

Name:  Step 12.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:  Step 13.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  Step 14.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  74.9 KB
post #38 of 44 Old 04-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Great write up.

Rik will now start taking his car apart just to see the items stamped "FIAT"!!!

Great looking car, Elaine.
post #39 of 44 Old 04-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Owner

Great post

ELAINE: YOU ROCK. That is the kind of post[s] looking for.

And As I've said previously, yes I KNOW it is a FIAT part [unfortunately no real part number?!?! -- would have to search endless FIAT models for a similar < $$ replacement], and have mine out as well.

AND: YES, only in the UP position will this work more easily, and ONLY on the LEFT HAND SIDE. Engine RIGHT side is a b&$ch!!!! Trust me.

AND unlike yours, the motor is toast for me We have tested it after [as mentioned in my other posts] first swapping the control console switches = no diff. and the fuses = not the prob. and tracing the wires = PITA.

left us with getting to the motor and thus my particular problem. [PS: ELAINE: I will followup on the gauge and sender problems later, but hoping either PHILLIPEngr or Dave Helms will chime in soon]

I will post our inscructions solution we found [if only a different solution we can find existed] later.

I will follow your lead in style to keep make the flow easier.

thanks for this posting. I know how fun/not-fun it is to get it going....

----------

POINTS OF CONTEXT: Search for "MONDIAL T" and [in some cases users equal to ] GRANUCCI / ELAINE
http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/sh...hlight=Mondial

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Last edited by Granucci; 04-07-2010 at 09:20 AM.
post #40 of 44 Old 10-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 24
Mondial Rear Window Stuck

Hi, it seems like Elaine had a great write-up on how to remove the rear window assembly on the T, I have an 1988 3.2 but it seems very similar. Both my Rear windows are stuck in the down position but they both worked a month ago just fine. I checked the fuse seems okay, tested the switches in the back by plugging the front door windows to them and they worked just fine. From reading some of the threads, I went through the side vents and top rear window opening. With the limited amount of space to work with, I was able to grab the motor wires with a coat hanger. I connected the motor wires directly to a 12v battery and tried to zap it back into life but to no avail. No movement what so ever. I can't believe both motors could have gone bad at the same time, especially when they were working every time I used them. I'm tempted to unbolt the whole assembly and try to see why the motors weren't working, but was wondering if anyone had alternatives:

1) Recommend a person or company that can rebuild the motor
2) Find a replacement motor/assembly from Fiat
3) Replace the whole thing with a manual hand crank

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode