400i at The Ferrari Centre - anyone know of this car? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-15-2009, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 77
400i at The Ferrari Centre - anyone know of this car?

Hi All

Was looking at www.theferraricentre.com , and they have a 1984 400I for sale for only £5995.

Now i know not the most popular, and not going to gain themoney of a 412I, but does seem particularly cheap even given market conditions.

Am tempted by on of these to use as a London runabout (550 doesn't stay in London!) for a few years till it crumbles, and was wondering if anyone had loked at it or knew of its history/ any problems?

Regards

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-15-2009, 03:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
Got ta say that car looks very nice. Great interea that looks very plush, the leather looks clean and fresh to
I was looking to buy one two years ago for my trip across Europe with my children to
Maranello.
Then i was going to sell it again on my return, but as it happened my mate and i swapped cars for the week and i ended up using a 456
I have never had a problem with the 400i and i think they still have a distinctive road presence. And the V12 is a Ferrari one
Let us know how you get along.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-15-2009, 04:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 332
I don't know which car it is to look it up without a chassis number or registration. It looks in great condition from the pictures. You can pick them up very cheaply simply because not enough people appreciate them. They aren't cheap to run either, of course.

Jonathan

post #4 of 7 Old 01-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
There's an old guy in Michigan trying to sell a "440i" and a Mondial from an ad in AutoWeek..

I asked for a web site and he said he didn't have one but that he was a car dealer. He stated that his provider was out of the country and shut down the servers before he left for Europe.

I asked for digital pictures and he said he would send Polaroids! That was 2 weeks ago!

How about that "440i"?

Maybe he will make you a deal?
post #5 of 7 Old 01-23-2009, 01:06 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
It is a big very thirsty V12. As a London run-about (given traffic more of a very slow crawl) it is goign to be very expensive to run. Not sure how the clutches are on these but if anything like a late 70's 512 BB, you will end up with a huge left thigh piloting it through stop and go traffic.

"Dem" has spoken highly of the Ferrari Centre. YOu might PM him to see if he knows the car.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-23-2009, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 77
Well I had the opposite experience there when i was buying a 550. I was looking at a black car they had, wouldn't haggle on price at all even though car had been in showrrom for ages, they seemed a little snooty. But most of all car weas originally Grigio Titanio and they did not even bother mentioning it.

I found out from other sources (think here) and only then did they decide to mention it.

But £6k is £6k, so it wouldn't stop me going back.

Would mainly be trips from West London to Ascot, so motorways and A roads, but not worried by clutch, I do too many lunges/ squats to keep fit as it is to keep my 550 clutch seeming light as a feather!

How long does the clutches last on the 512? Are they fairly hard wearing?

My biggest worry would be parking it outside, from what I have heard (opinions welcome) it would crumble fairly quickly.

Alex
post #7 of 7 Old 01-23-2009, 04:05 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
Well I had the opposite experience there when i was buying a 550. I was looking at a black car they had, wouldn't haggle on price at all even though car had been in showrrom for ages, they seemed a little snooty. But most of all car weas originally Grigio Titanio and they did not even bother mentioning it.

I found out from other sources (think here) and only then did they decide to mention it.

But £6k is £6k, so it wouldn't stop me going back.

Would mainly be trips from West London to Ascot, so motorways and A roads, but not worried by clutch, I do too many lunges/ squats to keep fit as it is to keep my 550 clutch seeming light as a feather!

How long does the clutches last on the 512? Are they fairly hard wearing?

My biggest worry would be parking it outside, from what I have heard (opinions welcome) it would crumble fairly quickly.

Alex
To clarify, Dem has spoken positively about the Ferrari Centre. My personal experience is much closer to yours.

Never had an issue with a clutch on the Boxer. Very long and hard wearing.....if you drive it properly.

Rust is a major issue on both the 365 GT4 and 400. Take a long hard look at both the body and exhaust. A replacement exhaust system could run you 50% of the asking price of the car.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode