Mondial T : Steering, Whine / sound - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 12-08-2008, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Mondial T : Steering, Whine / sound

Mondial T : Steering, Whine / sound - help
I've tried the searches, but to no avail.

I have a '90, Mondial T cabriolet. This comes with power assisted steering.

I have this whine sound from what sounds like the front, steering unit. When we stop the car, take off the front, steering cover under the front lid off, there is NO sound really from that area. We then, when we put our heads under the wheel stem, front seat area, hear the whine like strain from what appears to be the column area. There appears to be no servo unit, but that's the sound it is giving. Left, right slight turn of the wheel and that sound whines. Sounds loud in the cabin, but outside hardly noticable.

Anyone have some insight. We at first thought the steering unit was failing...then, the fluid would be low which it is not. However, right away it is 'bubbly' warm even on a cold day...not sure what that is. Books show little....

Looking for a pinched line or filter [?] blockage, but no avail...can't even locate a filter from book diagrams.

Any danger??? worried on the steering.
Any possible insight would be appreciated.

rik

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-08-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Mine does it too...

A response from another T owner:
however, I know the fluid is good per mech that performed it < 1 year ago
---------------------
It is the PAS. First of all, if the PAS fails, there is a graceful degradation in support (eg. no power steering boost), but everything else will work, so no danger.

You can check one thing... On the sides of your intake manifolds, towards the front of the car there are two small electro switches. They are literally bolted between the vacuum nipples and the throttle body. They have a vacuum line attached to them that connects to a vacuum line at the front of the manifold and two wires. These are the two switches that allow additional air into the manifold when the engine is idling and the powe steering is under pressure (eg. turning the wheel when you are at idle) so to prevent a stall. Mine make a tiny whine when they activate.

Secondly, if you follow the hydraulic line down from the reservoir there is a pressure switch, make sure this is also working properly. If it activates when it shouldn't it will activate the aforementioned electro switches.

Thirdly, make sure you have the proper type of PAS fluid. Look in your manual for the detail... It also needs to be changed fairly regularly (once a year) and does run warm - since it is hygroscopic and there is a vent at the top of the reservoir, it does saturate with water so it should be changed regularly. Make sure the vent stopper is there and not merely a hole to the atmospehere.

A whine can be further created if the actual PAS compressor is on a marginal wear of the seals, bearing or belt. If you need to change it, it is easy to remove from under the car or a bit harder to remove from the wheel well. But take it off, and bring the compressor to a standard auto shop to match it to an OEM one. Do not buy a Ferrari one as it will be a standard one in a yellow box and you will pay 5-7X the price of the PAS unit for the box.

As I said, mine has had a slight whine for over a year - no probs though.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Last edited by Granucci; 12-08-2008 at 01:05 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-22-2009, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Resolution: There is an assist steering motor/unit that I replaced and all was fine, IN THIS Case.
not always the issue, but that simple.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode