Hints on how to improve the running of your Mondial - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-01-2008, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 298
Hints on how to improve the running of your Mondial

Any suggestions on how to improve the running of your Mondial?

Resources: Parts List | Buyer's Guides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-01-2008, 05:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtaylor View Post
Any suggestions on how to improve the running of your Mondial?

Get an Electromotive ignition system fitted (from Nick's Forza). Well worth the money, and transformed my Mondial 8.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 29
one dream? get a biturbo like 208 !!

J

post #4 of 14 Old 12-01-2008, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymauro View Post
It is possible to do a Turbo conversion on a Mondial.

post #5 of 14 Old 12-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Drive it hard and drive it often
post #6 of 14 Old 12-01-2008, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymauro View Post
Here is a tread which includes a project on a Testarossa turbo conversion:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/sh...0837#post80837

post #7 of 14 Old 12-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Some GOOD General tips

This actually applies to all Ferraris or higher performance cars:

1. CHANGE THE FLUIDS Every year. ALL of them. Don't care about the cost or should it be good for one/two more years. It is the least expensive, and best thing you can do. I change the Oil, Bake, Coolant [yep], and all the rest.

2. Run your A/C at least once a month: Keeps the seals lubricated. Do this even in the Winter. Do it for at least 5-8 min. OR until it blows cold. I stick with the stock material. I, at one time, swapped out to a less expensive item, but it Sucked big time. Back to stock and it's cold.

3. WARM UP your vehicle properly, then run it, then cool it. then put it away properly: Think [live] Horse here. No foolin'.
--A. Let it warm up before you take it over 3k RPMs. That means the Oil and Water AND Oil Press. are a notch above min...well, at least in my book.
--B. Run it like a beast if desired after that, it can take it. The 348 is a sturdy, dependable engine.
--C. Make sure you give it a good run: 20 Min. Minimum. These cars need to have all its joints working as a team. It's like a living animal. You can't just start it up and think all the 'stuff' is normalized.
Don't be stupid crazy [ ] Have fun, but remember there are others on the road and it's not a race track. But IF you can find a nice safe spot, well, I'd expect, er, a gallop, to be in order... not a trot. [Er, I have RADARs in all my vehicles...help me remember to slow down ]
--D. Cool it down after the run. That means 25-30 max for about 10 Min. Time to take it around the town, and slow cruise.
--E. Optional: Check the oil. I do it by after a good warmup like above, while the engine is running, to 1. clean the stick, put back in, clean again, put in and check the running level. 2. Shut off the engine and check the oil on stick right away. These are dry sumps and you cannot check them cold or before they have been brought to temp.

4. Check the air in your tires. I have those ebay, but nice ones, tire valve cap covers. Trouble is kids kept taking them so I sprang for the locking type: BIG PLUS.

5. Don't mess with the suspension setting too much: BUT DO when you are in a lot of tight, mountain-like, corners etc. BIG plus as the suspensino tightens up. I never use the soft setting as I let the auto make those adjustments, BUT, IF my back, well, is a bit having trouble, might on the long, highway, roads: Back Dr's. are not cheap.

6. I open my trunk after a long run, parked at home in the garage: The Trunk is HOT, man, will melt chocolate when driving a lot.

7. IF I leave parked for over 5-7 days, I engage the battery charger: Have had mine go dead sometimes.

8. IF you have true, window, speed issues, call Ricambi and get the window accelerators.

9. CAREFUL ON THE TOP> the latches break easy. Can give likes to better replacemet items, but just be careful. Loosen up the leavers a bit, and that will go a long way.

10. CLEAN the leather after about every five or so rides at most. IF you drive in the sun more or dust gets there OR you sweat a lot, that is the killer. UV rays = killers. Salt from body = double killer. ALSO, do not use the seat bolster to get in/out. I use the windshield top to hep myself pivot or the door sill. Saves on the leather.

11. Shift smoothly, skipping 2nd gear when cold: Just skip it, don't even bother. When cold it's like jamming a square peg into a round hole. [GC, watch it]. These transmissions are very forgiving. You'ld be surprised that you can drive about town in 1/2 gear or 3rd. Shift always, IMO, above 2.5-3k RPM. NEVER Below 2.5. Your better torque is usually north of 3k.

12. Check you fuse box, if you haven't done so, for delamination or heat build up issues: 348's too. The connectors where the wires come in can get very hot, as the back plates. You might want to just remove the entire box and check for heat damage or delamination, which is a known issue.

13. The motors on the suspension are easily replaced, but there is a guy, I believe on ebay, who makes better than new, replacement metal cogs which is usually the only true issue with a faulty suspenson motor. Else, Ricambi or someone similar.

14. The switches for the dash are standard BOSCH, and you can get at any VW, Porsche store for $$ less than those with a Ferrari sticker.

15. Side strakes for air and oil are fragile IF you have the plastic ones. I am replacing mine with an older Metal set from the 1989 model. The plastic gets stretched over time and the tips begin to break..blah, replacements are available, but plastic again, unlesss.........you are lucky.

16. Disconnect the stupid seat mice/runners on models 90+ [1989 didn't have them. Different front and rear seats too]. OR just don't use them. They will drive you crazy making you think they are busted, and when not, that they are back to normal. FORGET them. The seat belt light 'might' stay on if not using the mice, BUT I found a way to keep them off. Buckle the lap belt first; start car; CLOSE DOORS [both of you if passenger there] THEN buckle in the chest belt after door closes: No lights.

17. Invest in a car cover or tonneau top: Keeps the dust and UV out.

18. IF you hear wheel noises, or steering nises, CHECK is out. Might be a bearing in wheel = DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!, or in steering a bad unit, or simply a need for new fluid...always a mystery to me.

19. Invest if GREAT tires. This will save your @ss. AND this car can take turns, like a lizard. You'll love this car all the more.

20. Drive it, then drive it, then drive it all the time, for awhile, and get to know it. The ABS is something you should try on an open road. The cornering is something you NEED to know, the throttle is something you need to know AND the lack of power or getting to know your power curve is something YOU NEED TO KNOW: Think stupid passing etc....

Kiss your pony, dream of feeding it, taking it to the Dr's, taking pics with it, and letting it run as it was intended.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #8 of 14 Old 12-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtaylor View Post
It is possible to do a Turbo conversion on a Mondial.
Yes. I have seen several examples from one, especially well designed one here in Sacramento, that is good.

BUT, only for the 3.0/3.2 models. NOT the T. Although, he wanted to use me as a g-pig: NOT, I'm keeping mine stock.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #9 of 14 Old 12-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
GRANUCCI: Thank You for taking the time to write up ALL of that advice.....and very good advice it is. I'm glad that there are knowledgeable enthusiasts out there who willingly share their wisdom regarding these Italian cars.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Owner

Any time: Hope it add to the general knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
GRANUCCI: Thank You for taking the time to write up ALL of that advice.....and very good advice it is. I'm glad that there are knowledgeable enthusiasts out there who willingly share their wisdom regarding these Italian cars.
BTW: Some VERY good writeups in Bachelor's buyer's guides, albeit, only a two pager. ALSO, FLife has buyer's guides for the 348/Mondials that is very worth their $5 [or whatever they sell for now].

OH, MAN. just saw your TR. WOW. VERY nice and unusual color combo.... gotta love those 12 cylinders.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #11 of 14 Old 12-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
I've been blessed with owning 2 Testarossas so far in my life. It has been a 6 year love affair. Sadly due to economic circumstances....I had to sell the grigio TR. But I still have many fond memories of rewiring my first TR, along with gas tank repairs, engine out services, brake jobs, leather dash repairs, etc. I've gained quite a lot of knowledge regarding TRs...and I've enjoyed every minute of it! Wouldn't trade it for the world. Now I just gotta figure out how what my next Italian exotic machine is going to be...and how to get one!
post #12 of 14 Old 12-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
I've been blessed with owning 2 Testarossas so far in my life. It has been a 6 year love affair. Sadly due to economic circumstances....I had to sell the grigio TR. But I still have many fond memories of rewiring my first TR, along with gas tank repairs, engine out services, brake jobs, leather dash repairs, etc. I've gained quite a lot of knowledge regarding TRs...and I've enjoyed every minute of it! Wouldn't trade it for the world. Now I just gotta figure out how what my next Italian exotic machine is going to be...and how to get one!
Yep. Know a couple people with TR's including my Ferrari Mech. [Brian C].

Believe the prices on these will either be steady or increase as the 512 series. Seems the 355's are dropping like flies.

als, now that I think of it, the 400's are looking like an interesting adventure....but those engine costs, whew.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #13 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Owner

Link to 348 [ = Mondial T] similar items: http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/ne...uote=1&p=80718

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #14 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 28
Mondial daily use upgrades

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone is contemplating doing anything to their Mondial, here is a list of subtle things that make it much friendlier and reliable. They do not substansially alter the appearance, and I would recommend especially the top few to any Mondial owner from someone who has had one for 12 years.

1. Upgraded fusebox. If you have an original fusebox with an original circuit card, it will fail or is currently failing. A newer technology circuitboard is available from GT Autoparts in Arizona for ~$750 exchange. This is the single best thing you can do for your car, and I should know.

2. Newer technology tires. Both the original metric Michelin TRX and 16" Goodyear Gatorback are total crap and in the case of the TRX, very expensive. These tires were chosen by the factory not because they were the best suited, but because of politics. Althogh there are metric Avons available, usually folks go to a 16" or 17" wheel to replace the 390mm rim. There are three popular "conventional wisdom" choices: The 16" original style wheel available fairly inexpensively from Superformance.co.uk or Trutlands, the 16" Mondial 3.2 or t wheel, or the 17" 348 wheel with appropriate fitting bolts from Hill engineering. There are aftermarket wheels available. The best are made by the original equipment supplier Speedline who had access to the original engineering data, who with this factory data recommended 17 x 7.5, 17 x 8.5; note not very different from the original factory widths. Speedline also had these wheels sold through the European Ferrari dealers (where I first saw mine). They are the most proper and period correct aftermarket wheel.
The most common error I feel with Mondial tires is the temptation of too much tire. With modern technology, the improvement with the stock or near stock sizes is huge.While everyone should tailor their tires to their driving, my recommendation is for Pilot PS2 in a stagger of 205 or 215 section front and a MAXIMUM of 245 section rear. If you have an M8 or QV using the same size Superformance at all 4 corners I would say a 225 section will match your power and weight well.

3. Air Conditioning. The Mondial actually has a decent air conditioner and great defroster, but is often let down by leaky or non-helpful vent design. What many Mondial owners learn late is that there are actually manually controlled (!) footwell vents. If you want a/c, be sure these are closed. The secret is to get as much cold air out of the useful vents (center and sides), by repairing aging and deteriorating foam connections and plugging off useless venting that act as sinks. The foam between the the plenum and the center vent deteriorates rapidly, but is easily removed and replaced with new foam or ducting tape to prevent leaking of cool air behind the dash. I also have found capping off the vent hose to the rear seat vents at the heater box makes a big difference amd using a stopper to plug off the side mirror vents increases the pressure and flow out the front vents. If you can find an original STCorsa billet aluminum high flow front vent replacement, this also is a huge improvement over the cheap plastic vent for flow and looks. I understand that someone (Ricambi?) may remanufacture these.

4. Exhaust. Much has been written on this, so I'll just say pick one where you like the sound.
there are many good well built aftermarket exhausts; I prefer custom made systems as you can make them match the sound you want (for me= quieter and still high flow).

5.Center switch panel. These cincy plastic pieces delaminate and look like crap after a while, and replacements can be difficult to find and expensive. I made some very nice billet anodized aluminum panels matching the originals, though lacking the back lighting, and were a very nice and permanent fix. I hate plastic in Ferrari interiors, anyway.

5. Headrest for normal sized/tall people. OK, this is a pet peeve of mine and not so subtle. I'm 6'2" and the Mondial headrest is basically nonfunctional. After removing the original headrests, I had a custom leather seat shop make two new taller and forward tilted headrests taken from the pattern of a Ferrari 246 Dino/ Lancia Beta coupe, but using the same leather, stitching and style (sunken crease) as the original Mondial headrest. It is soooo comfortable and worth the $500 for these when I can lay my head back on them at a decent angle.
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode