Mondial T : Toneau Project - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 11-26-2008, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Mondial T : Toneau Project

Over the years I have found I needed a quick, efficient cover that would allow the engine to cool, while keeping the leather away from UV rays, dust/leaves, and persons wanting a quick souvenir. Covers that I use are just not fun.

The top I hope would look good, and resist dampness too. I wanted a top that would allow easy access to relocate the car by driving it a small distance [say a car show or picnic area] without removing the entire top.

Custom was the only way to go. I have purchase another top, but it didn’t provide all I needed. At the last Columbus day event, where a bunch of us displayed some of our Italian goodies, a TR was parked next to me with what looked like brand new leather. When I asked her [ya’ HER] what/how about the leather, I immediately knew I was going to do it: The T was due for some rework as I’m using it every day if not the 456….my jeans are coloring the seats blue if not scraped bare

Anyway. HER gave me the name, address of her leather crafts-person: She does planes, many cars and been in business for over 20 years. When she quoted me the price of front and back seats, with touchups to all rips nicks, and re-dye to some worn areas with guarantees, I was floored: BARGAIN.

I asked her if she would also help me design and make a toneau which we are now starting first: don’t want to do the leather before it can be protected.

I also am doing a couple carry bags [luggage is too big/set/fixed], picnic set, some seatcovers for everyday driving [BUT, the latest brain storm I got was to re-cover some T front seats I picked up, put them it for daily use, then keep the original T seats away for show or <yikes> sale], and a couple cup holders that can be moved from the T to the 456: I had my own design using the seatbelt in passenger seat, but, well too much trouble = sucks.

The top project started Vets day, as I had that day off. She stopped by, and she and her son [old enough now to get into the business…good for her] started the pattern.

There will be several fittings. Several things I wanted were: 1. NO LEATHER, just matching, high-quality, vinyl-like material. She showed me samples and a dead ringer for the leather color and texture!!!! 2. COVER everything. Windshield wipers too. That will deteriorate just as fast in the sun.
3. Bury the front, under the lid against wind. She will be custom creating [she says you’ll be surprised on how good it will be] two screws with snap tops that keeps the front a bit taut. The screws will replace the existing screws already there so I won’t be disrupting anything and can always go back to stock: Plus/mandatory. The T's front lid has a channel that will hold all tight, and close entirely over the front. 4. A means of access from the side to allow me to drive the car: we are doing a zippered side entry, where the driver’s area will be open, to include the windshield area. 5. The sides will be using existing snaps on the top. 6. There will be a small weighted area just behind the rear window, to keep that more down.

There were many ideas kicked around. Like, elastic or more straps, or original snaps but were shot down as elastic deteriorates, snaps were too many and intrusive or would mean I would have to remove the leather cover to use the straps: our solutions will be more simple and functional.

Lastly, the edges will look exactly like the original sewed leather cover.

She wants to put a Cavallino on the center top, but … not sure, very nice….will see.

ANYWAY: The project begins….will be posting updates, and hope to have it done give/take month.

PS: Not to worry on the side shots, fittings will take care of all.
Attached Images

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-26-2008, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Update

She needed to add some sides to get a better idea. My [email protected] cell phone camera is no justice, but she took shots too, which will come later.

We are sticking with the original idea of entirely wrapping the windshield and all leather with 2" overlap. The material is close enough...color not quite there but, close enough when covered. Side by side, well, one can complain, but this is a daily driver and needs quick protection. Tired of the car cover that is heavy and trouble. Looking for her to make a more decent light weight for little money.

Will show more, AND BETTER, next week or so, but with turkey day, I suspect it will be more like two weeks. That cord in pic is for weight and seams. It is like fly fishing line, lead in the center. Sew into the seam and it will add weight to keep sides down.

PS: HER cat are dopplegangers of mine...even squeek the same....good omen.

PPS: I am using the top side snaps, but note that not all Mondial T's have the same situation. Some of the leather tops have snaps either underneath the top or on the outside of the top, but in my case I haven't the snaps on the leather top, so, using them for the Tonneau.
Attached Images

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #3 of 25 Old 11-26-2008, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Side note

Have a dash cover I was lucky to find on Ebay a few years back and it fits perfectly although my shot shows it wrinkled.....whatever. Only thing about it I don't like, is the fuzzy material. Sort of like the fuzzy side of velcro one uses.....well, all back in the day.
Attached Images

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

post #4 of 25 Old 12-23-2008, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Just a quick update. With the holidays and all and NOW the T probably going into the shop for either a steering adjustment/fix on the assist motor or a sensor???? OR L-Fr. wheel bearing.....I haven't had time to give the car over to her for the final fitting, which she is looking fwd to as I.

Hope to give the final updates soon.

rik

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #5 of 25 Old 12-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Very impressive. From the looks of things I'd say you can definitely mend straight, Rik!!!

Very similar to what I had on my MGA's and MGB's.

Great way ti keep the top down and the car clean
post #6 of 25 Old 12-24-2008, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Yup. Remember my dads '53 MG having one too....THAT was a great car. We had it in Hawaii, and never really had the top up...but those afternoon showers..well, ya' know

As a wee one [He also had a Pontiac, convert. too, don't remember the model, but Chief Pontiac on the hood lit up], I was allowed, in the day....mid 50's, to stand up and look over the top.

those were the day....no belts, looking into the wind.....no cops....carefree parents suffering their kids to the elements

like when on the ranch, we'd just hop in the pickup bed and off to town.

sigh......laws, liabilities whatever.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #7 of 25 Old 01-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Just a quick update. With the holidays and all and NOW the T probably going into the shop for either a steering adjustment/fix on the assist motor or a sensor???? OR L-Fr. wheel bearing.....I haven't had time to give the car over to her for the final fitting, which she is looking fwd to as I.

Hope to give the final updates soon.

rik
Rik, any up dates on the top.
post #8 of 25 Old 01-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Owner

Sounds like Rik's not on top of his updates!!!
post #9 of 25 Old 01-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
Sounds like Rik's not on top of his updates!!!
It might be on his bottom of the list just trying to get it to the TOP
post #10 of 25 Old 01-12-2009, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Owner

:rolleyes:

Man, leave out an update and ....when it rains it pours.

OK. The T is having what appears to be a lingering steering assist problem. The fluid in the res. is full, but 'sounds like' the steering isn't getting fluid...grinding etc. THEN to top it off there is now a high pitched sound at high speed, driver's front

Talked to Brian / both of them, and they agree might be a driving issue.

Just talked to da' leather gal min. ago to see what we can do...she just finished an Airplane and now doing a full interior on a '57 Impalla for someone, which she believes will be done by Sunday...then me to make a decision.

GOT the 456 this weekend, sat, on Sacramento from 'little' Brian from Brian Crall's shop. We were at the Ferrari Recyclers drooling over the warehouses: Seems there are,were, three companies there and now, down to Two as this one bought out the Ferrari Salvage people...too many parts to carry, poor inventory on the bought out people and BARGAINS galore
man, there was candy all over the place.

anyway, they heard about her, I just told her, and they want to start using her for interiors too. YEEEAAAHH, keeping her in bus. is a good thing.

OK My project: not ready

all that for that? ya' need to give her the car for 1 full day for finalities...so other than towing it, how do I do that?

will keep posted.
rik

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #11 of 25 Old 05-29-2009, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Owner

BUMP : Update

Ok, paid for the project way back in Nov. '08...Mondi goes in to shop, Dec '08, for an 'item' ... new steering pump assembly....get ready to pick it up....no juice....NEW updated alternator....hard to find BTW..not to mention when box arrived it was missing a 'piece' .... wait, FINALLY...ya' got it back and been driving it for a couple three weeks.
Leather gal had a couple airplanes to redo and now her schedule if FREE. They have a special project, hope to post when they are done, of a full body restoration interior, exterior and new engine for a kid in Iraq, where his mother [he has no clue] paying big bucks to pimp his ride. Gal is donating the interior fully in leather, other locals doing at cost the other stuff.
anyway, took car in this morning and they are working on it to finish for me on pickup this next Monday. Will post pics. Have made a few changes as want side mirrors now fully covered.
Asked him to design a wind screen for between the two seats, low profile with magnets at bottom to hold on middle console. Couple ruck sacks for the rear seats too.
Will update and finish[?] this thread ... FINALLY after what, a 1/2 year wait.

PS: BTW, for those that have the coup/cabriolet T there was a factory item that came with the car that was used only for transportation purposes. It was to protect the top or for longer term storage and that is all. Many dealerships just junked them where the owners never saw them again. Some received them as both a bling to the new owner and release of problem to dispose by the dealer = win win ?

Anyway: That top is NOT a toneau as some may believe. Pictured below are three pics showing its use by a member of another[the other] Ferrari site, without his permission, BUT, it was posted in the 'general' section and open to the entire net, so, I do not feel remorse on this one. BUT for credit to the OP and that site, here is the link too. Everyone happy?

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=228795

We got a good site and know we can handle it...we have better, more concise, well mannered thread with a good reference library.

rik
Attached Images

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Last edited by Granucci; 05-29-2009 at 03:31 PM.
post #12 of 25 Old 08-14-2009, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Finally !!! ????

Well, I've threatened to complete this project, and have been put off by so many things in-between the start and now, that FINALLY, I will produce the current version of the Tonneau top.

Remember that the goal is a quick on/off and easy access, while allowing the engine to breath after a run for cool down. It must be durable in the sun, protect all those 'hot' spots and keep the leaves and dust out of the usual suspects .. so to speak.

No leather shall be harmed in this process

ok, it didn't 'quite' turn out like I thought, but it was a first for both of us, and even though it should/could be honed more....I'm done.

I need this for the Summer, etc. and it will perform for the cost, time, and effort invested.

Stay tuned for the next project, which I'll post under a different thread as a Mondial T wind screen....seems some morning/evenings are too cold and the wifie starts to bundle up, roll up the windows and blast the heater on which STILL doesn't do the trick...actually I've had a problem or two in that category as well. So, a windscreen between the seat opening is all that is needed.

On to the 'final' product.

Before, After.

Note the plastic under the rear-most flap that fit over the retracted top: that isn't necessary as the wind or whatever will not lift that area, but was included for 'dress'.

Plastic is included with cutouts for the rear-most wing tips [lack of a better term], that slide under the leather. Those are good....should lay a bit more flat, but, sun will soften it and probably will take place over time.

BTW: material is like the old Caddy tops....good for external use.
Underside is soft, white felt like material.

I included a zipper for easy access when I need something in there
or
when I need to quickly move the vehicle without removing all the top...whatever, it's there and I have already found it was worth it.

I wanted to enclose all black, top parts and the rubber parts from the sun. Not only for a more dressed look but to protect wipers from the elements: Big plus IMO.

The front doesn't need to be entirely closed, you could just let it rest on top without closure. Depends on trust, needs, and ease. Thus, the 'V' cutout for the latch mechanism. The Mondial T's front boot release works when the key is off via pull cord [duh] or the solenoid switch [why the trunk doesn't is beyond me as that makes more sense than the front, but Italian logic isn't always there to make sense].

The front seam wasn't necessary and if I did it again, I'd NOT have that done.

For your review.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #13 of 25 Old 08-14-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Owner

shots

before, after and some details.
Attached Images

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #14 of 25 Old 08-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Owner

I am very impressed.

I would say you now have that project covered!
post #15 of 25 Old 08-21-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Lah

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #16 of 25 Old 08-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Owner

Did you use any TARP funds on this?
post #17 of 25 Old 02-05-2010, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Don't get me started on tarp politics

Quote:
Did you use any TARP funds on this?
at least keep it automotive....Gregggggggg,
Attached Images

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #18 of 25 Old 02-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Owner

Remember that a tarp is a cover!!!
post #19 of 25 Old 02-05-2010, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Remember that a tarp is a cover!!!
oh, so that's what it takes to get you out of your cave!!!

BTW: Will be at Brian's Tues morning picking up the 456. Can't wait. Tired of the son's loaner '69 Beetle.

Man that bug is scaring me....especially in the rain.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #20 of 25 Old 02-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Owner

I have been under cover.

Just extremely busy with a project soon to be completed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode