400 -412 lenses - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-23-2003, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 133
400 -412 lenses

Heres the problem .I have a 400 with faded and cracked lenses on the front. They are 1/2 clear and 1/2 amber. I can no longer get these. However I can get new 412 lenses which come all clear. Any ideals on how/where to maybe get the lenses tinted 1/2 amber?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-23-2003, 08:09 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Re: 400 -412 lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUNO
Heres the problem .I have a 400 with faded and cracked lenses on the front. They are 1/2 clear and 1/2 amber. I can no longer get these. However I can get new 412 lenses which come all clear. Any ideals on how/where to maybe get the lenses tinted 1/2 amber?????
Burno,
Long time no see. Well I'm sorry I can't tell you exactly where to have this done. My first suggestions would be to look in auto stores for the self tint that you can add to windows. I'm not sure but they may have orange in the section too (these days you never know what kids want to do some maybe this is available). I also believe Simon may be of assistance, I know someone on here asked a similar question in the past. Perhaps it was you in another post. Best of luck on solving this.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-23-2003, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Good to hear from u. Yes it was probably me. As me and Magoo? Had a great discussion on it and other 400 issues. I miss him.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-24-2003, 12:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 52
I had the same problem and never did find a suitable answer. Fortunately I was just trying to save money and eventually just bought a new lens from Ferrari UK, who had them at the time. I believe you are correct in saying that they no longer have any but have you checked? Ferrari UK often suddenly find new old stock in their warehouse. I have been tehre and it is a huge aladins cave.

I had bought a white/white lens off of ebay. I then tried to tint it but could not find a way to do it. I tried using some 'yellow' headlight paint - they used to have to use yellow headlights in France and drivers and tourists used to paint their headlight bulbs yellow to get the effect. After France stopped doing this I kept some old paint I had - but when I tried it the effect was too yellow. I then bought some orange see-through paint that is used in decorating ceramics, you can buy it in arts and crafts shops. There are a range of colours and I tried mixing up a colour to match the lens on the opposite side. I was not very successful andd it is really hard to paint on because you can only get to the inside of the lens through the side light bulb apperture using a long paintbrush. I ended up with a very streaky orangish lens - no use at all

I gave up and bought a new one.

Actually the white/white lenses can look good depending on the colour of the car. I would suggest you buy a pair od these and then monitor eBay until the right ones turn up. You can always sell the white/white lenses again.

Simon
1977 400 Auto
1976 365 Boxer
London
post #5 of 5 Old 05-24-2003, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I susect this is what I will do. Wait for the right lenses and use clear ones until then. I just hate paying so much $ for the clear lenses when they are not correct.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode