enjoyable Mondial - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-16-2008, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
enjoyable Mondial

Dear all,

I have just driven a very reasonable Mondial QV home and would like to express how satisfied I am with the design, engine and overall quality.

The cream leather interior and the huge areas of glass ensure a very good overview, much better than my beloved (and faster btw) 924 GT.

The engine sound I probably do not have to describe here...the basic fun is vroom, clack-clack, vroom, clack-clack and so on.

The fuel consumption is quite competitive, I would say around 11-13l/100km.

I will now start with replacing plugs (upgrading to Bosch Iridium), Kjet injector nozzles, exchange fluids and do some detailing.

Two issues that move my heart at the moment:
I always wanted this color combo and a spider, never found it during the last two years. Probably it wasn't produced like that anyway. Anyone ever investigatet how it could be converted to a spider? After all you have a steel tube frame and while the interior in a spider is a bit smaller in width, I could image the spare parts for the convertible top plus some reinforcment of the tubing almost does the job.

Second; I am very happy with LPG conversion on my '66 Mercedes Coupe. Although it is not a real issue while owning these cars, it is unparalled fun to refuel for about 40 Euro nowadays. Anyone with experience LPGing their Ferrari? For the Mercedes I was forced to do that by means of a Venturi (much like a carburetor) due to registration as an antique car therefore using old age technology. The Ferrari is registered and penalized as a normal car, therefore the road should be open to a controlled loop or even liquid injection LPG setup.

Looking forward to hear from you,

Braq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-20-2008, 02:07 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Per your points:

- converting a Mondial QV coupe to a spider properly will cost more than your QV is currently worth. The resulting car will be worth less than either an original Coupe or Spiders.

- rumors have it that one Ferrari owner in the Netherlands did an LPG conversion. In theory it should be possible. Again it will put a big dent in the value of your car and will likely effect performance (not to mention the comments that Ferrari Classiche might have).
post #3 of 4 Old 06-20-2008, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
considerations

Dear Boxer,

thanks for your input, in a way that is true for almost any car.
However taken that I really want that kind of combination, what other way is there? Instead buy a red/tan and repaint it?

The LPGing actually can be deinstalled rather easily as well, the typical loss in output is about 10%...not to dramatic. Since the tank, mixer etc. can be transferred there is actually quite a market for used equipment as well.

Who could I turn to get information about the pricing for the actual convertible top mechanics ( I do have quotes for the canvas already), go by the parts list and ask at the Ferrari dealer or are there special shops I could turn to? (I am new to the Ferrari World, but with older mercedes there is actually a whole world of its own with reproduction parts, salvaged parts and cross referenced parts as well),

kind Regards,

Braq

post #4 of 4 Old 06-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by braq View Post
Dear Boxer,

thanks for your input, in a way that is true for almost any car.
However taken that I really want that kind of combination, what other way is there? Instead buy a red/tan and repaint it?

Who could I turn to get information about the pricing for the actual convertible top mechanics ( I do have quotes for the canvas already), go by the parts list and ask at the Ferrari dealer or are there special shops I could turn to? (I am new to the Ferrari World, but with older mercedes there is actually a whole world of its own with reproduction parts, salvaged parts and cross referenced parts as well),

kind Regards,

Braq
You will be much better off buying a Mondial Convertible and repainting it, than trying to cut a coupe.

I do not believe a Ferrari dealer will help at all.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode