1985 Mondial With Turbo Worth Considering? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-23-2008, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
1985 Mondial With Turbo Worth Considering?

Hello:

A little over a year ago I agreed to buy my wife a larger house in exchange for "permission" to purchase a "fun" car. I have always wanted a Ferrari 348, and began the search.

To hold me over until I found a suitable 348, I purchased a BMW M Roadster. The M Roadster was going to be my learning platform -- I wanted to get my driving skills up to the level that I wanted before I purchased the Ferrari. I don't know if my skills have improved, but I have learned one thing from the BMW: I really want four seats. (I have two small children, and it is a real bummer that my wife and I and our kids can't all jump in the fun car for those Norman Rockwall Sunday drives.)

Exit 348, enter Mondial.

To make a long story short (too late), I've been searching for about 6 months for a Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet -- preferably in black. Maintenance records are a must. Recent service is desired. You know, the normal stuff.

Recently a 1985 Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet became available in Dallas (where I live). The car is black, has 66k miles (with last major performed at 60k), has maintenance records, is in good condition, etc. (The relatively high miles don't really bother me, as long as the car has been maintained well.) The asking price for the car is $28k. (Perhaps a little high for the mileage...) The seller has agreed to a PPI, and has given me the name of the shop that performs maintenance on the vehicle.

Here's the "problem" -- the car has a "Turbonetics turbocharger and Norwood fuel MAP." I've researched Bob Norwood, his history with turbocharging Ferraris, but there is little to go on. I have no idea about the maintainability of the system. I am also not a big believer in "enhancing" an engine that was designed for normal aspiration -- especially a high-revving, high-temperature engine from a Ferrari. My gut is telling me to walk away, but before I do, I wanted to see what others thought.

Would you consider purchasing a Ferrari 3.2 with a turbocharger?

Thanks.

--Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-24-2008, 02:27 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Don't walk away, run.

Norwood has a very good reputation but personally I would not touch any turbo converted Mondial.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-24-2008, 07:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 366
Mondial

I agree with Boxer. And when it doesn't run right, or, heaven forbid, breaks, whom will you take it to, and how much will it cost to fix? -Steve

post #4 of 7 Old 01-25-2008, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Thanks for the advise. I've decided to pass on the car. (Oh, and it's a 308 Mondial, not a 328 -- I knew that, but was thinking that what I really want is a 328 Mondial, and my fingers did the rest...)

It turns out that the car has some other issues associated with the turbo. First, there is no intercooler installed. Therefore, in order to keep the engine cool, the computer was programmed to run a very rich fuel mixture. If an intercooler was added, the car would have to be retuned to fix the fuel mixture issue. Second, because of the lack of intercooler, the current owner stated that the car is only good for about 10 minutes of "spirited" driving before it must be allowed to cool down. (This bothers me at several levels...)

On the plus side, the car appears to be in great condition, has all records, and is well known on another Ferrari Chat Forum (and is spoken of nicely).

Thanks again.

--Jeremy
post #5 of 7 Old 12-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Bump

actually have a very good Ferrarista, Scott now in LA that designed a unit, as other items and his would be good to go for any length of time. But as others state, the various engineers out there would make one pause: Better just get a 348 / T model an be done with it, 300 HP is enough and fun, ask me how I know.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #6 of 7 Old 12-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Sage decision. Maybe, you are not still in the twilight realm but could you consider the older, V12 2+2 models ? w/ smiles Jimmy
post #7 of 7 Old 12-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Sage decision. Maybe, you are not still in the twilight realm but could you consider the older, V12 2+2 models ? w/ smiles Jimmy
Much truth in that.

The 456, is a very nice alternative to the Mondial and not much difference in upkeep and maintenance. BUT a whole lot more in performance in terms of torque and power.

The Mondial is very fun when bouncing about town or more on the open roads. And VERY fun with right setup [tires, brakes, suspension adj etc.] for country/mountain roads.

Shoot, at these V12/456 prices, they are almost a steal...but make sure to always, regardless get a good PPI from a rep. mech.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode