Mondial QV Wont Start - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-21-2007, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
Mondial QV Wont Start

Hi Folks,
A few weeks ago, I jumped into my 1983 Mondial QV, put the key in and turned it to start, but nothing. All I could hear was the fuel pump running.
In the end we gave it a push start and after that it was OK, it would start every time, until today. While out shopping today it did the same again, but after several goes on the key, it fired. After I got the car home, that was it, completely dead, just the fuel pump running.
My only thought is a bad connection on the starter motor, but I cant find the motor yet to check it.
Anyone had a similar problem, or any ideas.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 366
I'm going to assume that the engine in a QV is pretty similar to the one in my 328. If not, I apologize. So here goes.

The starter is located below cylinder #5 on the side of the block. It is difficult to get at with the front header in place.

First, make sure all the fuses are good, and held tightly in place (they are still the old style ceramic exposed fuses, right?).

Then, the engine wiring harness plugs in on the frame near the top of the oil cooler. There are two quick disconnects - one of mine was very loose when I got the car.

Also, the main battery connection to the starter has a quick disconnect just like the the negative cable by the spare tire. This one is located about a foot from the starter, tied into a bolt-in channel, under the car. The plastic on mine had disintegrated, and fell into 50 pieces when I removed the engine. Maybe that's where the bad connection is.

I will be glad to stand corrected if anyone with a QV has some better ideas. -Steve
post #3 of 17 Old 04-22-2007, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Steve, I'll be under the car later, when it stops raining (good old Britain) and I'll let you know how I get on.
Andrew

post #4 of 17 Old 04-22-2007, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Well I've been under and all the connections seem OK. I was getting power too the motor, so I'm assuming it must be brush trouble. I gave it a few smacks with my hammer, but with no luck, so it was back to to the push start (and it's no light weight) and it's now starting off the key again !!!! . I suppose it could be a dead spot on the com.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 366
I hate intermittant problems ! You may have to catch it in the act with a voltmeter hooked up to the starter, which is easier said than done. It could easily be a starter solenoid, too, which I believe is available separately (through a Bosch place, not through Ferrari). And how about the small push-on connector on the solenoid? Good tight fit? You have my condolences on this one. -Steve
post #6 of 17 Old 04-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 13
My '86 3.2 Mondial has had a similar problem. For me, it always goes back to the fuse box. The starter circuit is pretty fragile. Check your connectors at the fuse panel, you will probably find that they need a good cleaning with some contact cleaner. It works for me every time.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 271
Fusebox is always the first place I started.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-24-2007, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Hi Guy's,
I know I'm a bit thick, but which fuse is it. I've had a fiddle in the fuse box and I cant find a fuse connected with starting circuit, only the fuel injection.
I think you guy's could be correct about the fuses, because when the starter does kick in, it sounds very healthy.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-28-2007, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Still struggling

I'm still struggling with my intermittent starting problem. I've checked and cleaned all the fuses and in the process found some very suspicious looking wiring and melted sockets. Has anyone out there got a wiring diagram they could e-mail me, so I can try and identify the wires connected with the starter circuit.
Thanks,
Andrew
post #10 of 17 Old 05-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Hi Guy's,
I know I'm a bit thick, but which fuse is it. I've had a fiddle in the fuse box and I cant find a fuse connected with starting circuit, only the fuel injection.
I think you guy's could be correct about the fuses, because when the starter does kick in, it sounds very healthy.
There is a relay for the ignition switch. I think the problem is probably a bad earth somewhere. Do you still have the isolator switch located near the battery? Mine has played up once where I could not get it to switch on. I still have it but never touch it now.

I am thinking earth connector from body to engine. Do not know for sure where it is though. I never had problems getting the car to turn over, it would not fire as the fuel pump was not running due to duff fuse holder.

Several years ago I had problems like this with an Opel Manta auto, so pushing it was never an option. In the end I replaced the starter motor twice (one recon, one new) before I fixed it.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-03-2007, 02:14 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
reference mondial qv wont start

hi, reference the mondial qv not starting , my car had the same problem and it turned out that the starter solenoid switching load is run straight through the ignition switch. The answer is to add a 30 amp load solenoid on the bulkhead near to the starter and have the ignition wiring just switch this relay and the relay then takes a fused supply from the battery connection terminal on the starter and via the relay switching contacts feeds that power to the solenoid operating connector (the terminal that used to connect to the ignition switch wiring. Just make sure that the wiring is neat, safe, well insulated and fused.
malc
post #12 of 17 Old 05-06-2007, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Malc, I think you are right, that will be my next line of attack. My attention has been moved somewhere else now. I jumped in the Mondi, put my foot on the clutch and guess what, it went straight down to the floor, slave cylinder seal blown Tried to remove it, got the rusty split pin out of the retaining pin, only the find the retaining pin well and truly corroded in and can't shift it any how. Oh dear what have I bought!!!!!
post #13 of 17 Old 05-09-2007, 12:11 AM
Owner

Damn, gets you down a bit. A guy on CS has had a batch of seals made for the slave cylinder of which I purchased one as a spare. Only any use if the the slave cylinder is not totally shot.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-19-2014, 12:01 AM
Den

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Ferrari QV 1986

Hi folks,
I have a Mondial 1986 QV. There is no power going to my spark plugs, therefore the motor turns over but doesnt start. Never had this problem before , anyone got any ideas on this one. Thanks
post #15 of 17 Old 09-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Hi folks,
I have a Mondial 1986 QV. There is no power going to my spark plugs, therefore the motor turns over but doesnt start. Never had this problem before , anyone got any ideas on this one. Thanks
Might want to start a new thread. Maybe titled "86 Mondial QV no spark." or something similar

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #16 of 17 Old 09-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Den

thanks for that Kevin, I have been trying to figure it out, Cant find link for new thread
post #17 of 17 Old 09-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Den

found it

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode