Mondial wheels and tires - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-12-2003, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 139
Mondial wheels and tires

:green: Hi,as far as i have read all wheels and tires on Mondials 3.2 and t, 1985 through 1993,with the 1989 being the cross over period where 3.2 and the " t" crossed paths are the same size,,.Am i right ..2nd question how much are new tires and how much to repaint the wheels,thankyou Mick.. please bear in mind in 1988 a.b.s. was standard,, :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-12-2003, 11:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 575
Somewhat. The "8" and the "QV" had the metric-size rims. The "3.2" and the "t" used the convex 328-style rims, although some "3.2"'s still used the metric rims (probably the very first of the "3.2"'s, as some of the "QV"'s stock of parts could've been left over...).

Metric tires can still be found at Tire Rack (I believe, but don't quote me on this) and the 16" tires for sure. Both are reasonably priced.

I painted my wheels with spray-can paint. I did all four for under $50Cdn. The wheels should be bead-blasted before painting. I had that done too for around $50Cdn (for all four). Looks great.

(in the last pic "restwhls.jpg", #2 is the blasted wheel, #3 is one painted with the zinc-chromate primer and the last series of shots are ones with clearcoat and the decals. Zinc-chromate primer is essential for the topcoat adhesion)
Attached Images

post #3 of 16 Old 01-14-2003, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Petes rims

:green: :roll: HI Peter,love them wheels..Here in Florida they want $150 per wheel.fairley good price.But like you i would enjoy doing them myself..With the car in the garage would I take one wheel off at a time,each weekend take it to get the tire removed,than come back and spend the following evenings that week doing one wheel. After the wheel is painted would i go to a special tire place to put back the tire on the rim. One of thoses places that that has fancy wheels,let me know ,thankyou Mick :P

post #4 of 16 Old 01-16-2003, 12:08 AM
Owner

It'll be easier and faster to do all four wheels at one time. If you coordinate the timing between taking the wheels to the bead-blaster, then bringing them home to paint, you can get it done in a few days (leaving plenty of time inbetween coats of primer and paint).

As for tire removal/mounting, I used a local tire shop, nothing special or fancy. They do however sell aftermarket chromed mags, so if they can work with those without damaging them, they can easily do Ferrari wheels. The kid that did mine was very meticulous and delicate, not even a mark on the fresh paint...
post #5 of 16 Old 01-18-2003, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

:green: Thanks for your input Peter,,I agree with you but how do i remove all 4 whyeels at once without a car hoist..Thankyou Mick :P
post #6 of 16 Old 01-19-2003, 08:33 PM
Owner

Jack the car up and place on four jack-stands.

I know it sounds silly and before I had the Ferrari, I only had two stands as that's normally sufficient for an average car. The Ferrari's servicing requires a level car when raised (to completely drain the engine and tranny oil, plus other operations).
post #7 of 16 Old 02-01-2003, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

:P :P Hi guys,as far as I can make out on the ferrari chat forum,the concences is that on mondials the Yokohama Aspec db..Seems theses tyres inproved the steering quit a lot at slow speeds and are quiet.My thoughts were brigstones,,any thoughts ladies and gentelman,,Thankyou.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-01-2003, 06:36 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
I am quite happy with the Firestone Firehawks that are on my car. The ride is ultra smooth and they handle great!

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #9 of 16 Old 02-02-2003, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

:green: Hi Peter,I was talking about Mondials.To improve the slow sreering speeds,Thankyou Mick
post #10 of 16 Old 02-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick dipple
:green: Hi Peter,I was talking about Mondials.To improve the slow sreering speeds,Thankyou Mick
Hi Mick. You did ask for any input and that was what I had. If the Firehawks work well on a 308, I don't see why they wouldn't work well on a Modial. It is basically the same car, I just put it out there for something for you to consider. I haven't had any problems with slow speed handling. They are fairly reasonably priced and I think they offer the same performance as the higher priced tires. Actually, the smooth ride the Firehawks provide would probably be more appreciated in a Mondial than a 308.

Capt. Pete
post #11 of 16 Old 02-02-2003, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

:lol: Hi Peter,thankyou for your reply.I mention this because reading about Mondials in books and magazines they say the Mondial is cumbersome at slow speed..Is it more or less so than the 308 I do not know..I have only drove a few mondials and it did not seem that bad.I take delivery of my 1989 Cabriolet some time in March. AND I AM HAVEING SLEEPLESS NIGHTS THIS EARLEY.....I Cannot wait.. ha: ha:
post #12 of 16 Old 02-03-2003, 04:23 AM
Owner
Elite Member

I bet you can't wait!!!!! I can't wait to see the pictures!!!

I have never driven a Mondial so I can't make a direct comparison.

I guess it depends on what they are calling slow speed handling. Are they talking about general driving around town or stuff like parallel parking? General driving around town I have no problem with the 308. For parking lot manuevers, it is not like a Cadillac where you stick a finger in the steering wheel spokes and give it a spin, you do need to use both hands. And the car should be rolling; it is very difficult to turn the wheel when the car is at a dead stop. The only thing that would cure that would be power steering, not tires. Although a narrower tire would help with parallel parking, it would affect the high speed handling. I do not know if the Mondial has power steering.

Capt. Pete
post #13 of 16 Old 02-04-2003, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

:P :P NO I cannot wait,Im going around the gentlemens home for a spin and maybe take some photos ..My guess would be as yopu said parking lot turns,use both hands..It will not have power steering,that came with the "T" model..I called the guy today and he told me the tyres were at 50%.So I have a while.. :green:
post #14 of 16 Old 04-23-2003, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

2 new rear tires

:P :P Hi guys,Just letting you know I just put Toyo tires on the rear of my car the factory put 225/55 16" ..I put on 245/50 16" my mechanic recomend theses tires,Frank at Eibiel Performance.The tires retail for $169.00 each BUT a freind of mine got them for $119.00 each.. P.S. Can you belive that my car comes with 205/55 on the front and 225/55 on the rear and my car had 205/55 all around,What the f---If any one is interested I have asked Peter ,our loveley Canadian brother to post some photos of my car with the roof down ha: ha: :P :P :P
post #15 of 16 Old 04-23-2003, 08:54 PM
Owner

I can't find that photo Mick, would you mind sending it to me again?
post #16 of 16 Old 04-25-2003, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

roof down

:lol: Hi Peter photos sent ,Thanks mick.. :green:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode