400i slow out of gate - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 11-08-2002, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 133
400i slow out of gate

It seems my 400i doesnt take off fast enough from standing start.No tire spin. Very clumsy slow acceleration.Doesnt start to really rip it up til about 40 mph. I have only driven mine.I have no ideal how it should take off. Any ideals. It is the automatic. Thinking about doing the obvious,plugs,wires,timeing.etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-08-2002, 10:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 286
Bruno my friend, You are not going to make a dragster out of that nice 400 Ferrari. We talked of this before. It is the way the car is set up to be a luxury touring car. I have driven 5 of these cars and they all react the same. It is not the trans. That trans, has been used in too many G.M. sports cars to be the problem. That trans is durable as hell. Rolls used it for a number of years. Maybe change the ring gear and pinion ratio then you can get a faster start. Take some away from the top end and give it to the low end. I know they are sluggish but that is the nature of the beast. I don't mind it because I know it is what it is. Remember, "DRIVE YOUR FERRARI FOR WHAT IT IS, NOT FOR WHAT IT ISN'T." Regards Magoo
post #3 of 22 Old 11-08-2002, 10:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 575
I'm not familiar with Automatic transmissions, so please bear with me on this....

Have you checked the level of fluid?

How long ago was it changed and - I'm sure it does have it - has the filter been changed as well? I'm not talking about the engine filter, but the transmission filter.

Has the pan ever been removed? There are many small passageways in an auto-box and sludge may inhibit fluid flow.

post #4 of 22 Old 11-08-2002, 10:24 PM
Owner

Sorry Magoo, I didn't know you were posting to this thread....
post #5 of 22 Old 11-08-2002, 10:41 PM
Owner

Thats OK Peter. Any input is good, however if you have driven a 400 auto you would know what Bruno is talking about. They are very sluggish from the take off. You think you are in 2nd gear. I have driven these cars and for sure they are slow on the start. The nature of the beast , believe me......
post #6 of 22 Old 11-08-2002, 10:48 PM
Owner

This car is geared for top end running and hooked up to a G.M. Tubo hydromatic trans.. The only way you will change this is to change the rear ratio. Probably if you put a manual trans. car rear in it it would burn the tires off it at a start. Your top end would be cut though. Gas mileage probably with that V/12 would probably about 5 to 8 miles a gal. average.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-09-2002, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Owner

No I would never sacrafice the 150 mph+ top end for more lower end. It must be the gearing cause it just wont pull of the line. Never no tire spin and with 340 hp. I'll keep it the way it is. I need to drive another one to see how it feels. The trans is in perfect working order and like Magoo said is used in a lot of high end auto mobiles.
post #8 of 22 Old 11-10-2002, 09:14 PM
Owner

Bruno, She is a true masterpiece of Ferrari ingenuity. When you drive that car it has class and is unique in its own style. This is the car you take your wife , or girlfriend, to the opera or a fine restaurant, pull up outside in Valet and CLASS GALORE. She is Class personified. That's what she was meant to be.
post #9 of 22 Old 11-11-2002, 04:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
I bet you could make the tires spin by holding the brake pedal while you floor the gas, that'll make the old girl accelerate a bit... just start stocking up on torque converters now. :wink:
post #10 of 22 Old 11-11-2002, 04:25 PM
Owner

btw, I just realized how easy it is to add these little smileys in my messages and will therefore include them in all from now on. lol.
post #11 of 22 Old 11-11-2002, 10:36 PM
Owner

Bret, Have you ever driven one of these 400is? They are historicly slow. They really could have given the car more on the low end but that's the way it is. She is a class act anyway and not meant to be a off the line dragster. Personally I like the car. I think Ferrari was trying to move this car away from the sports car image and create competition for a luxury coupe design. this car will wrap you in luxury and give you the feeling of something special. Just don't expect it to be a sports car.
post #12 of 22 Old 11-11-2002, 11:12 PM
Owner

Magoo, when you had looked at one a long time ago, was it an auto or a 5-speed? If you had a choice then and now, which would you choose?

I love these cars too, but would only ever settle for a 5-speed.

Its funny, I refuse to drive automatic cars and yet my Dad refuses to drive standards. I was trying to get him to buy a 400i Auto and I even offered to take care of it for him, but he didn't accept. His loss I suppose... :roll:
post #13 of 22 Old 11-12-2002, 02:27 PM
Owner

I can't say I have been in one, haven't even worked on one to be honest. Generally anything can be made to spin the tires with enough desire, but I hear what you're saying about them being a little lacking in acceleration. I would think a 5sp 400i would be a great touring car for a decent price really.
post #14 of 22 Old 11-12-2002, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Beem going everywhere int it. Would not change for and 5 speed. Didnt feel this way when I got it but now I realize what Ferrari was after. Have an interesting article on the car I am going to be scanning and posting. Also. WHO ALL HERE HAS BEEN DRINKING THEIR MORNING COFFEE IN THEIR FERRARI ON THE WAY TO WORK? So the secerets out
post #15 of 22 Old 11-12-2002, 09:19 PM
Owner

Peter, I would like the 5 speed but the auto. is what this car is about. Luxury, all the creature comforts and class all the way. They could have made it faster on take off by gearing the rear differently but they didn't so there is the story.
post #16 of 22 Old 11-13-2002, 02:15 PM
Owner

As much as an automatic feels relaxing to drive, I always have an uneasy feeling with that kind of car. When I drive a 5-spd. I feel I'm in control of the car, that I can choose what the appropriate gear the car should be in, based on road/weather conditions, vehicle speed and the traffic ahead.

When I drive an auto, it'll change up too early and I'll say to the car: "why did you do that?".
post #17 of 22 Old 11-13-2002, 10:27 PM
Owner

With that trans you can lock in 1st then go to 2nd and so forth. But if you hold in to long it will pressure shift itself.
post #18 of 22 Old 11-14-2002, 10:52 AM
Owner

The only automatics I think are really cool and might be worth getting are these new tiptronic ones where you can control the shifting yourself (or put in full auto if you want to sit back and enjoy). This way you can still balance out the car with the trans, but when you're in traffic, etc you can put it in auto and just be comfortable. All these new BMWs and Mercedes have them (my mom works for MBUSA so we get to check out all the cars and I was driving one last weekend with it, it was cool). A nice replacement for the automatic, still nothing like a manual though, but in a luxury car who wants a manual.
post #19 of 22 Old 11-14-2002, 08:09 PM
Owner

Bret, You know you are right about who wants a 5 speed in a lukury car, that's why most are autos. These cars are so sluggish though that you feel that you would like to have more off the line. They act like they are in second gear when moving off the line. By all means a auto is better in a luxury car so I guess we should remember to"Drive your Ferrari for what it is, not for what it isn't."
post #20 of 22 Old 11-15-2002, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner

until very recently I am not sure of exact year. Not long ago though. Mercedes Benz were ALL automatics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode