Thoughts on 400i? (Automatic) - Page 2 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 Old 06-13-2013, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
"successful visually" is what I wrote. "Most beautiful production car of all time" is what Peter Stevens, Lotus chief designer wrote of the 365/400/400i/412 series. And if one measures success by the length of the production run of a car, try the series' 17 year production run - 1972-1989 - by many times the longest production run in the history of the Company.

At the Petersen Museum in Beverly Hills during the 1997 introduction of the 550 Maranello to the North American market, Piero Ferrari told me that the 412 was the car his father drove almost until his passing.
+1 We are in the same "company", altough I'm a little biased with these cars.

@TG Clarkson: He is not the one whose opinion on a car's beauty I would care about, though I'm not a fan of TG at all...

"Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future" - Horace, Carpe Diem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 06-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Ah, no. Let me quote you "The 365/400/400i/412 automobiles are among the most beautiful" . By many times the longest production run? Hardly. the much more "visually successful" 308/328 production run ran for 15 years and most would include the dino in that run as the 308 is similar and replaced it, stretching that run to more than 20 years. The 250 series of cars can also be mentioned. Almost all runs since the 70's have been 10 years. 17 is not even a multiple of 10 let alone "many times". It's not even 2x.

it is true that enzo was DRIVEN AROUND in a 412, he didn't drive it.. Possibly more comfortable for an older man, I don't know his personal preferences, but i know he didn't care much for road cars, and particularly body styles. I believe he is famously quoted as saying he gives away a free body when you buy his motor. I'm just guessing here, but i imagine he preferred it to being driven back and forth from his home in a 512bb. He was a racer and loved his engines. The bottom line is I believe most people would rank the 400 series of cars at the bottom of the list of visually successful ferrari cars. I think most people know that and it is a stretch, to say the least, to call it "among the most beautiful". Park it next to a 60's Cali spyder and get a good chuckle.

P.S. Peter Stevens never designed a road car i would call beautiful, he would be one of the last people i would look to for an opinion on beauty. But I guess you have to take what you can get. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't mind someone saying that they think X car is among the most beautiful, but when you declare that it is, you need more evidence than you and a lotus designer. Did I mention it came with a mismatched auto gm tranny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
"successful visually" is what I wrote. "Most beautiful production car of all time" is what Peter Stevens, Lotus chief designer wrote of the 365/400/400i/412 series. And if one measures success by the length of the production run of a car, try the series' 17 year production run - 1972-1989 - by many times the longest production run in the history of the Company.

At the Petersen Museum in Beverly Hills during the 1997 introduction of the 550 Maranello to the North American market, Piero Ferrari told me that the 412 was the car his father drove almost until his passing.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Last edited by wetpet; 06-13-2013 at 09:17 AM.
post #23 of 35 Old 06-21-2013, 01:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 106
Enzo Ferrari owned a azzurro Ferrari 365 GT4 that he personally used, as it can be seen in this picture. The car should still be owned by Piero.

Even though today the Ferrari 365/400/412 is often labeled as ugly or slow it was the most expensive Ferrari on sale at that time, very luxurious and developed as a true GT. Enzo probably preferred to drive something very comfortable, considering his age.
Indeed he also owned and used several fiat. It is in my opinion very elegant and underrated.

"Engines are like women: you have to know how to touch them in the most sensitive parts."

post #24 of 35 Old 06-21-2013, 01:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sw4n View Post
Enzo Ferrari owned a azzurro Ferrari 365 GT4 that he personally used, as it can be seen in this picture. The car should still be owned by Piero.

Even though today the Ferrari 365/400/412 is often labeled as ugly or slow it was the most expensive Ferrari on sale at that time, very luxurious and developed as a true GT. Enzo probably preferred to drive something very comfortable, considering his age.
Indeed he also owned and used several fiat. It is in my opinion very elegant and underrated.
+1, I agree. These models are elegant with sublime beauty made for seasoned adults.

W/ smiles

Jimmy
post #25 of 35 Old 06-21-2013, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

The number of fans is increasing...

@Sw4n: That just one hell of a photo, may I ask where did you find it?

"Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future" - Horace, Carpe Diem
post #26 of 35 Old 06-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
What always surprised me was how big the 365 GT4-412 series cars look in photos. But when you see one in person, they are actually quite small. Had an order in with a dealer in Germany for a used 365 GT4 2+2, but ended up with a 3 year old 308 GTS for about the same money. The GTS was much easier to maintain. Removing and resynching those sidedraft carbs for every valve adjustment was a bit more work than doing it on the GTS.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #27 of 35 Old 06-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranTurismo View Post
The number of fans is increasing...

@Sw4n: That just one hell of a photo, may I ask where did you find it?
My dream is to own a 365 gt4 2+2 and use it as a daily driver...

The picture comes from a website dedicated to the Ferrari 400, with a owner's forum.
European Ferrari 400 Club

Also this video, coming from the "Enzo Ferrari" movie, is quite nice (indeed the plate number of the car in the video is the same of real one. I love those details):
Enzo Ferrari film - YouTube

"Engines are like women: you have to know how to touch them in the most sensitive parts."
post #28 of 35 Old 06-22-2013, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

The picture comes from a website dedicated to the Ferrari 400, with a owner's forum.
European Ferrari 400 Club

Also this video, coming from the "Enzo Ferrari" movie, is quite nice (indeed the plate number of the car in the video is the same of real one. I love those details):
Enzo Ferrari film - YouTube

Great stuff, thanks for the input!

post #29 of 35 Old 06-30-2013, 10:12 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 22
Gran Turismo and others, here is a link to a B&M Hydro shift kit as promised. Very inexpensive, totally transforms the car . Also be sure the Fuel Pressure regulators have been changed back to stock if you have a US Gray MArket car. That's how they met emission standards.

B&M Shift Improver Kit for GM | Northern Auto Parts
post #30 of 35 Old 07-01-2013, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gburkett View Post
Gran Turismo and others, here is a link to a B&M Hydro shift kit as promised. Very inexpensive, totally transforms the car . Also be sure the Fuel Pressure regulators have been changed back to stock if you have a US Gray MArket car. That's how they met emission standards.

B&M Shift Improver Kit for GM | Northern Auto Parts
Thanks for the link. That particular one was delievered first to the UK so no probs with the regulators. It has some other rusted problems to say at least. So far, I'm off from the 400s, but saved the link for other times. Who knows what shall I bump into in the future?

post #31 of 35 Old 07-04-2013, 04:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,003
Garage
Quote:
Sw4n, consider my 412GT, a dozen years younger than a 365GT4 and properly serviced and maintained, which you will require in a daily driver. She was originally sold in Europe and imported to the United States. While I do not have information on the first sale I suppose that Ferrari will have it so perhaps European taxes will have been paid already.

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
post #32 of 35 Old 05-07-2014, 10:10 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
My Two Cents - Very Late

Any front engine rear wheel drive automatic has options. First and foremost is the final drive ratio. Ferrari must have options on that. 3,000 rpm at 60 mph is not out of the question. I have had such a ratio on several cars. In addition, I believe every American automatic ever sold can be fitted with a high stall speed torque converter and shift kit.

In fact, after I supercharged my Lincoln Mark VII a low stall speed truck converter was required in order to make it drivable off the line with full throttle. For the the Ford there were at least four different stall speeds available. All of them cheap. As was the shift kit.

So if I found a good running automatic sedan for a good price, I would do two things. First, call up Summit Racing to discuss torque converters and shift kits. Then call up Ferrari about final drive ratios.
post #33 of 35 Old 06-01-2014, 10:08 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
First off, find one and drive it. The characteristics might suit you just fine. Second, this is one of the most popular transmissions ever made in the US, countless converters, shift kits, and alternative gear ratios are readily available and there are probably hundreds of shops that can transform these transmissions. Third, because of the torque tube connecting the transmission to the fear diff it is not a simple transmission swap. In fact, I challenge anyone here to show me a working car that has had a transmission swap done to a non Ferrari transmission. Fourth, I haven't looked for a gear set but I have heard that they are nonexistent, the only supply is from existing cars. Could probably have a set made but I'm sure it would run into the five figure range. Fifth, find one a drive it, (did I already say this? ) maybe look up some of the guys that have had mods done to their transmissions.
post #34 of 35 Old 06-02-2014, 11:27 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Always loved the 400.
post #35 of 35 Old 02-25-2016, 10:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 150
Reviving an old thread here but reading it made want to participate. One of the main reason is I just won the Ebay auction for the 400i Straman so I better get ready.

My plan for the transmission is to keep it automatic because one of the resson I like a convertible is for evening and weekend slow cruising. BUT there are alternatives today.

My plan is to swap to a 700R4 or 4L60 overdrive unit from GM. The first gear is lower and it has an overdrive which should help the engine. These sells for affordable prices in high performance set up with crisper shifts. Probably also go with a higher stall torque with a lock up clutch.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode