412 diff whine - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-30-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
412 diff whine

Hi All , can anyone help ?

I am in the process of buying a 1989 412i with manual g/box . The car is in concours condition . However , on a test drive I noticed that there is a whine which seems to come from the transmission area. The whine starts at around 90 mph and goes at about 95. Is it the diff ? If so is this serious? The whine only occurs in top. I would be very greatful for any ideas .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-31-2011, 04:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinna View Post

I am in the process of buying a 1989 412i with manual g/box . The car is in concours condition . However , on a test drive I noticed that there is a whine which seems to come from the transmission area. The whine starts at around 90 mph and goes at about 95. Is it the diff ? If so is this serious? The whine only occurs in top. I would be very greatful for any ideas .
Diff whine - well payed!

I have no idea but hopeful some knowledge appears soon.

Keep the sense of humor going!

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #3 of 13 Old 10-31-2011, 07:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:

It is impossible to tell if it is serious without hearing it. If it comes and goes in such a short speed range I would be inclined not to think so.

It is also possible that a rear hub carrier bearing is making noise or those terrible Michelin TRX tires are. If by "on top" you mean 5th gear it is probably a transmission issue. I would make a wager that "A" it has been far too long since the car had a gear oil change and "B" when it did it was filled with a substandard gear oil. Both causes have contributed to enriching me personally because they can be death to Ferrari transmissions.

You need to get the car inspected by someone who knows 400/412 cars well and there are just not that many people of that description in the US.

Where is the car geograpically?

Last edited by Brian; 10-31-2011 at 08:36 AM.

post #4 of 13 Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi Brian , thanks for your reply . The car is in the UK . I have asked the dealer I am buying it from to change oil in both the gearbox and the diff with the correct oil type and hope that it goes away.

The people I am buying it from are a reputable bunch and I have a guarantee so not too worried.

Other than that the car goes magnificently.

As you said it comes and goes over a small speed range ..... perhaps a bearing ??
Attached Images

post #5 of 13 Old 10-31-2011, 10:27 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,847
J- Very pretty 412. Red is kind of rare on the 365-412 series and it looks great. Brian is the pro here so you have the correct guy giving you advice.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Owner

Quote:
Hi Brian , thanks for your reply . The car is in the UK . I have asked the dealer I am buying it from to change oil in both the gearbox and the diff with the correct oil type and hope that it goes away.

The people I am buying it from are a reputable bunch and I have a guarantee so not too worried.

Other than that the car goes magnificently.

As you said it comes and goes over a small speed range ..... perhaps a bearing ??

Hopefully a lubrication issue. The transmission is an old ZF unit of proven design and the differential is an in house design. Neither were problematic. I do know however differentials and parts for same are very expensive.

Change the oil and keep your fingers crossed.

412 is a great car by the way. The biggest problem with them is they built so few.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-01-2011, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi Brian

I have had another thought . If the oil change does'nt work could it be an out of balance prop shaft ?
post #8 of 13 Old 11-01-2011, 06:46 AM
Owner

Quote:
Hi Brian

I have had another thought . If the oil change does'nt work could it be an out of balance prop shaft ?

Never seen that problem in a torque tube car. A balance issue would cause a vibration, not a whine. I have seen bad bearings in torque tubes and never the symptom you describe.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
I am somewhat confused by the report that the whine occurs between 90 and 95 in top gear only. My understanding (as weak as that may be) is that a whine is the result of worn gears meshing. If that were true, they should whine throughout the operating range of the affected gears. The suggestion that this is prevalent through a very short range implies some sort of harmonic frequency issue.

Is this whine dependant on load as well or is it speed related only?

I'm not familiar with this specific cars design. Are there Universal joints? They can also whine.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #10 of 13 Old 11-01-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Yes the car was under load ..... 3 up and going up quite a hill.

I tend to agree that there is resonance at a certain frquency which points to a bearing problem .... does'nt it ?

If so which bearing ?
post #11 of 13 Old 11-13-2011, 02:35 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
412 whinw

I have a 412 and it has a little whine under load in the speed range from the gear box. My last 400 had the same gear box noise to. I ask my mechanic and hi says, it is normal and all 400/412 cars has it, some more some less. Live with it and enjoy your new 412 as a hand build car what was never perfect, even new. The expection is to high this days, spooled with perfect Mercedes..................
post #12 of 13 Old 11-13-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for your reply , you have given me some confidence . Tes I will enjoy it ,,,,, my wife and I plan to do the Maranello trip in spring.

Thanks again.

By the way have you loined the 400 club ? Check it out on the net.

Jerry
post #13 of 13 Old 11-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,847
Captain- Welcome to Ferrari Life. Which cruiser is yours?

Go down to member introductions and tell us some more about yourself. Career surface warfare must be a fun way to make a living.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode