Mondial t, how strong? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-05-2011, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 22
Mondial t, how strong?

My Mondial t is 20 years old but, like many, has done little mileage (25,000)
On previous older cars I've owned I've taken a little care with them, not using the limits of the performance. In fact the one time I floored it from a standing start in my Porsche 928 S4 ("it can take it" I was told) the automatic gearbox blew up. I took my Lotus Esprit to 140mph and the turbo seals failed.
All my cars are well cared for and serviced properly.

The thing is, the faster I drive the Mondial the better it gets, and the sound of the engine at 8,000rpm through the gears in intoxicating.
So can the 20 year old Mondial take this kind of thing without coming to pieces? I must admit the Ferrari FEELS strong, where the Porsche always felt like something was about to fail, and the Lotus, well it broke every time I went out in it.

What do people think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Mechanically the Ferrari drivetrain is fantastic. As long as the timing belts and tensioning components have been replaced when due it'll run like a top. There was some trouble with the gearboxes in early Mondial T/348's so be mindful of it's behavior.

Be sure your mechanic is using high quality oils like Redline and Motul.

The 3.4 engine in the Mondial T is the same core that was developed for the 308 and was improved on all the way into the 360.

That engine is capable of a lot more than it's currently tuned at. I've run these engines under nitrous and turbo charging with success.

The 928 and Esprit are in a category their own in terms of reliability.

post #3 of 4 Old 03-31-2011, 02:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
I drove my T for some 15 000kms and did so spiritedly with the occasional Kyalami excursion .
The cars are well built and can take most spirited driving if done with a level of empathy for their age and condition.
I do not recall having any issues beyond brake pads and grease leaking from the fly wheel which was an easy fix.
As to taking it up to the red line it would be best that you refrain from that activity if done for prolonged periods of time.

Come to think of it I often miss that car,if parts were not that scarce I would be tempted to buy my old car back which I see is up for sale again.

post #4 of 4 Old 04-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1exander View Post
I drove my T for some 15 000kms and did so spiritedly with the occasional Kyalami excursion .
The cars are well built and can take most spirited driving if done with a level of empathy for their age and condition.
I do not recall having any issues beyond brake pads and grease leaking from the fly wheel which was an easy fix.
As to taking it up to the red line it would be best that you refrain from that activity if done for prolonged periods of time.

Come to think of it I often miss that car,if parts were not that scarce I would be tempted to buy my old car back which I see is up for sale again.
8 years ago at Ferrari day at Kyalami race track
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode