The repair kit contains everything that you need. The main part has the rubber diaphragm installed and you also get the metal spring washer, which looks like a rubber washer in the picture. No other parts are needed to repair the valve. When you reassemble the valve take care to position the various washers correctly, my picture shows the correct order. Also be careful to assemble the solenoid with the electrical connections lined up properly.
Draining and refilling the coolant (I ended up doing this anyway as I did not know when it was last done) was not so easy!
I removed one of the cooling fans from the front radiator and took out the thermo switch from the bottom of the radiator to drain the coolant. Removing the cap from the expansion tank in the engine bay allows air into the system for draining.
There are two air bleed screws for refilling, one is at the top of the radiator and the other is at the front of the engine where the main coolant lines to the front of the car exit. To get at this one I had to lie across the engine.
Be careful when removing this small brass screw not to drop it into the engine, as you will never see it again if you do. It may be better just to loosen it.
The coolant was refilled and the air bled from the system but then when I started the engine there was clearly an airlock as the coolant in the expansion tank boiled over rapidly. Much opening and closing of bleed screws and general "what have I done wrong" panic later, the coolant suddenly started to flow to the radiator.
However there was no heater operation, just cold air, but this went OK after a short drive in the car. I then bled the system again and quite a bit more air was present in the radiator.
Last edited by lightning; 03-07-2011 at 01:09 AM.