4001 values - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 08-30-2010, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 47
4001 values

Does anyone have an idea or guess-timate of what a concourse or show worthy 1981 to 1984 400i auto or manual should sell for at this time? Thinking of buying a pristine example but not sure what a fair asking price would be. I see they range from the low teens to the high 20s. Would a price of $30k be too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-30-2010, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ingram View Post
Does anyone have an idea or guess-timate of what a concourse or show worthy 1981 to 1984 400i auto or manual should sell for at this time? Thinking of buying a pristine example but not sure what a fair asking price would be. I see they range from the low teens to the high 20s. Would a price of $30k be too much?

Title should say 400i not 4001
post #3 of 24 Old 08-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Probably, 30k is on the high side, but if pristine, then maybe fair price. Personally, I would look for manual transmission. Good luck. w/ smiles Jimmy

post #4 of 24 Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Latest price index from FML:
Attached Images

post #5 of 24 Old 08-31-2010, 05:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
For a perfect Ferrari, almost 30 years old, $30k is NOT too much! On a good one, you can still easily spend $$$$ on repairs, so in my personal opinion you are always better off buying the very, very, best as the previous owner has already spent that money.

If $20k buys a good one, then I would happily pay $30k for the creme de la creme.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 24 Old 08-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #7 of 24 Old 08-31-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank you guys! Your advice helps out greatly. Jimmy and Boxer, I remember you guys helped me out quite a bit when I had my '77 Boxer. JazzyO, I also remember your help when I had my 550. You all were very helpful then as you are now. Thanks again.
post #8 of 24 Old 08-31-2010, 01:26 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Thank you guys! Your advice helps out greatly. Jimmy and Boxer, I remember you guys helped me out quite a bit when I had my '77 Boxer. JazzyO, I also remember your help when I had my 550. You all were very helpful then as you are now. Thanks again.
Happy to help.

What has sparked the interest in the 400i?
post #9 of 24 Old 08-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Owner

Quote:
Enjoy and good luck with your search. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #10 of 24 Old 08-31-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Happy to help.

What has sparked the interest in the 400i?
I have always loved the shape and nothing beats a front engined 12 cyllinder Ferrari! Now that I'm in my mid 40's and have had all the "boy racers" over the years including my present Lambo Gallardo Spyder, I want something a little more sedate with room for more than one other person. I test drove a good example at a local dealership, but the salesman has no idea about the car he's selling and the details are too shady, so I'm going to pass. I received a PM from a fellow who has a beautiful, 10k mile, concorse winning car that he will soon place for sale. He wants a price that's much higher than any 400 I've seen. The car is pristine and I don't want to offend him by offering a ridiculous lowball price. I wanted to get some opinions on what the current market value as not to over pay but to offer a fair price given it's condition.
post #11 of 24 Old 08-31-2010, 10:38 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I have always loved the shape and nothing beats a front engined 12 cyllinder Ferrari! Now that I'm in my mid 40's and have had all the "boy racers" over the years including my present Lambo Gallardo Spyder, I want something a little more sedate with room for more than one other person. .
Mid engine 12 cylinder Ferraris are not to bad either .

Quite a few 400s over in the UK. The one major issue most of the owners seem to highlight is rust and the cost of repairs vs. value of the car (replacement exhaust is GBP 4-5k).

Have you taken a look at the Maserati Quattroporte?
post #12 of 24 Old 09-01-2010, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Mid engine 12 cylinder Ferraris are not to bad either .

Quite a few 400s over in the UK. The one major issue most of the owners seem to highlight is rust and the cost of repairs vs. value of the car (replacement exhaust is GBP 4-5k).

Have you taken a look at the Maserati Quattroporte?
You're right! Mid engined 12 cylinder Ferraris are awesome! I had a '77, carbed Boxer several years ago! I see what you mean about the service costs relative to the value of the car. It's hard to not consider that fact. Yes I looked at the Quattroporte and the Maserati GT but these cars are huge and not as sleek as the older cars, althought very nice.
post #13 of 24 Old 09-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
You're right! Mid engined 12 cylinder Ferraris are awesome! I had a '77, carbed Boxer several years ago! I see what you mean about the service costs relative to the value of the car. It's hard to not consider that fact. Yes I looked at the Quattroporte and the Maserati GT but these cars are huge and not as sleek as the older cars, althought very nice.
What about a 365 GT 2+2 or a 365 GTC/4?
post #14 of 24 Old 09-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Owner

The others pretty much said what I intended to. Depending on what you are willing to spend, I think considering the other 12Vs would be a wise thing to do.
As for the price, as Onno mentioned, well-maintained and loved V12 (with higher price tag) is a better choice for myself. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #15 of 24 Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
Quote:
...I received a PM from a fellow who has a beautiful, 10k mile, concorse winning car that he will soon place for sale. He wants a price that's much higher than any 400 I've seen. The car is pristine...
I'd get a PPI on this one and if all is in order, pay the extra to get it. It is hard to find parts for the 400i, and can be an expensive as well as frustrating search to put one together in top condition...let alone a concourse winner.

post #16 of 24 Old 09-02-2010, 03:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
How about a recent (& decent) 456? Those are very reliable if you have one from 2000 onwards. Very nice, understated car with a great engine and similar maintenance cost to the 550. Just make sure you get the manual, you'll feel right at home after your 550.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #17 of 24 Old 09-03-2010, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
What about a 365 GT 2+2 or a 365 GTC/4?
I actually seriously considered a C-4 because of the glorious sound of the V-12 but couldn't qiute warm up to the styling. I felt that if I wasn't too sure of the styling before the purchase. After the novelty wore off, I would probably regret it. I haven't seen any good 365 GT 2+2's around. Thank you for the suggestions though!
post #18 of 24 Old 09-03-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
The others pretty much said what I intended to. Depending on what you are willing to spend, I think considering the other 12Vs would be a wise thing to do.
As for the price, as Onno mentioned, well-maintained and loved V12 (with higher price tag) is a better choice for myself. w/ smiles Jimmy
Do you mean considering the other V-12's as in another car besides a 400?
post #19 of 24 Old 09-03-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
How about a recent (& decent) 456? Those are very reliable if you have one from 2000 onwards. Very nice, understated car with a great engine and similar maintenance cost to the 550. Just make sure you get the manual, you'll feel right at home after your 550.

Onno
Those are really nice cars but I wanted something older and I would be terrified of the $50,000 transmission replacement cost. My 550 was a very nice example but it never felt "exotic" enought to me. It was too big, sat up way too high and did EVERYTHING too well almost to the point of being bland. Great car though! I kept it for only about 2 or 3 months and traded it on a Gallardo Spyder. Now THAT is a modern EXOTIC car in my book!
post #20 of 24 Old 09-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Owner

Quote:
Do you mean considering the other V-12's as in another car besides a 400?
Yes. I was thinking more like the older 2+2 cars of the '60s and '70s eras. Actually, just last week, I saw this beautiful, fully restored 250 GTE for sale at the Tom Yang site. I don't think you can go wrong if Tom Yang is behind this car. Why don't you take a look. Personally, I trust Tom when it comes to these older Ferraris. Good luck. w/ smiles Jimmy

http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari.html check under the top left box of "Restoration Diary".

Last edited by Italian Lover; 09-03-2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode