B Pillar Mouldings for a Mondial Cabriolet - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-15-2010, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
B Pillar Mouldings for a Mondial Cabriolet

For some reason the bottoms of the B pillar mouldings on my top keep breaking off. I've had one replaced already at $500 a piece, which is outrageous for a piece of rubber weather stripping. I've tried gluing the bottoms back on before and I haven't found a glue yet that works with this material -- Ferrari strikes again in coming up with a material that can't be repaired, but must be fully replaced! Two questions for Mondial Cabriolet owners:

1) Anybody have any idea why the Pillar mouldings keep breaking off at the base? They appear to be mounted correctly -- I had one installed by Berlinetta Motorcars -- Doug Pirrone -- in Huntingon, NY and I have a great deal of trust in their work.

2) Does anyone know where I can get another set of these for less than $1000! I've spent $750 on a roof latch, $500 for a gas door relay that a friend of my wife's burned out, $1500 for lightweight cats. I've spent serious money on a new clutch and a bevel gear for the transaxial that ate itself (Owners of Mondials with transaxials, don't let your cars sit cold for too long as those bevel gears can actually rust if not occasionally turned over! The previous owner of my car let it sit for months on end, the dope). It just burns my arse to pay $1000 bucks for some rubber weather stripping, essentially to keep rain out -- on the RARE day I'm out when it might be raining -- when I know I may just have to replace them again next year.

All comments welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
I had a similar thing with my Mondial QV where the B pillar weather strip would break when the roof was folded down.

My t did not have that issue which translates as a bad B pillar as opposed to faulty design.

Do your rubbers break at the bottom when folding the roof up or when putting it down?
post #3 of 7 Old 08-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
sorry, can't help: Have a T

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

post #4 of 7 Old 08-30-2010, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Mine is a T as well... La!
post #5 of 7 Old 08-30-2010, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I recall it breaking when I put the top down, not up. The roof's been adjust several times but it still is a challenge either to a) get the top folded properly so that you can get the tonneau on or b) get the top up so that you can get the roof clamps to engage.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
I recall it breaking when I put the top down, not up. The roof's been adjust several times but it still is a challenge either to a) get the top folded properly so that you can get the tonneau on or b) get the top up so that you can get the roof clamps to engage.
Well that helps and I will tell you what I found on my QV..every time the roof was put down and I did not use 2 sets of hands the B pillars would be forced at differing angles and they would snag on the inside against the panel and thus tear the rubber from the B pillar.

Also the 3rd panel in the roof needs to be folded inwards as the roof is placed back and the crease that protrudes between the roof arches needs to be "straightened" so that the rood will fall back completely and lower its profile once retracted.

In lowering or lifting the roof it is advisable that you get someone to help you.

Get someone to help you put the roof down and make sure they always stay in alignment with you going down and check how close the B pillars run to the side panels.

I have really tried to explain myself and hope that you will be able to make sense of what I said.

As an afterthought is the roof original or aftermarket?
If aftermarket some roofs are either badly fitted or slightly to short or long in their dimensions.
That could also efffect roof operation.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-06-2015, 05:55 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
I have Mondial B Pillar Moldings for sale

They are direct reproductions and they are really nice. Can't tell them from OEM parts other then the fact they the have small geometry changes that will help to reduce contact with the body panels and they are molded using a better rubber than what the factory used.

Contact me at
[email protected]
Or
Cell. 508-341-7440. East coast time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode