1984 Ferrari Mondial Cabriolet - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-26-2010, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
1984 Ferrari Mondial Cabriolet

I'm looking into purchasing this as weekend car. The car looks prestine in the photos being shown. My concern is 51+k to high of mileage. Also was grey paint with a tan interior a standard choice or could this be a refurb that should make me reconsider?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
51k is considered high mileage. the condition of the car can not be discerned from the pic. My advice is, if you like the car, negotiate your best price based on an inspection. Once you make the deal, get the car to an independent mechanic for a thorough pre-purchase inspection. if it doesn't hold up, cancel the deal.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 4 Old 06-28-2010, 07:51 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
The Mondial can be a good car. They also are known for having numerous electrical quirks as well. You'll want to be sure to have it PPI'd before deciding if it's a good car to own.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Buying that 1984 Mondial

I know plenty of people are going to yell and scream over this, but the reality is that each successive year the car was in production it got better. True, I would have done away with the power steering because I've driven pre-power steering cars and the road feel is better and who needs the extra complexity especially in a car this light. I don't know about the color combination, but my serious question is: Why buy a 1984? Some people like the earlier versions for their ultimate simplicity, some have a price ceiling they don't want to exceed. My philosophy is to buy the best car you can find, regardless of year, with the lowerst mileage, best maintenance record and best features at the price you can afford. For me, the search stopped at 1989 with a red/tan/black T with 18K on the clock and most importantly that horrible rubber cam belt replaced already as I did NOT want that problem. I really didn't want the power stearing, but got the 3.4 liter, longitudinal engined car with anti-lock brakes, very clean and well-maintained, for the price I was willing to pay. I'd keep looking beyond 1984. As an earlier commentator mentioned, these cars have electric gremlins -- for me it was the alternator, which eventually got tossed in favor of a Japanese unit(!) in favor of the GM and Bosch units. I've also got a nutty issue with 5/8 light and the driving lights and that I'm going to post on. If the color really matters, then go with classic colors: red with a tan interior and black roof are the definition of a Ferrari. If you want gray, then buy a Mercedes.

Last edited by Vesper; 08-14-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode