1987 Mondial fuel door problems - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-25-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 52
1987 Mondial fuel door problems

Can anyone tell me where the fuse for the fuel door is? I suspect that is my problem. However, I also have a right rear (passenger) window that will not roll up either. Could they be on the same fuse? But, I have checked the fuses (in fuse box only) and all are good.

Note: The electronic fuel door does not work and the pull cable is also broken. Both happened at the same time or thereabouts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-26-2010, 09:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Oh MAN....not gonna like this answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanktheTank View Post
Can anyone tell me where the fuse for the fuel door is? I suspect that is my problem. However, I also have a right rear (passenger) window that will not roll up either. Could they be on the same fuse? But, I have checked the fuses (in fuse box only) and all are good.

There is not a fuse associated with that rear motor. And notice you have a cabriolet, which is much better than coupe. BUT, if anything like the Mondial T which it is most like, you are going to have a serious issues.

1st. swap the switches on the windows [thread below shows pics = easy]. Take one switch out, then the other, then swap them to make sure it's not the switch, but if it is YOU ARE IN LUCK.

2nd. it can be two items:
1. mechanical due to old grease which probably is the case in yours anyway. Easy fix, refreeze the channel of the motor cable. BUT getting to it is a [email protected].
2. electrical/motor: The motor is gone as mine. One can be had used, but you'll be doing it again someday...whatever. It is a FIAT motor, and swapping it [good luck finding the part number, especially from that era] is quite a task.

3. take out the motor and channel assembly and replace the entire unit.

GOOD for you this is NOT a T/348 motor. That Right-Rear, is absolutely an engine out experience IF the window is stuck in the DOWN position.

Ferrari mechs. managed to tie the electrical cable to the body inside, and you can't get there from here without dropping the oil tank, which rests behind the right rear window well and the engine.
but
the older 308/328 engines are transverse mounted, which 'may', and I mean may allow you to get in there easier.

IF that window were stuck UP, not down, you could go via the right rear grate intake. That would mean taking off the right rear rakes/strakes and there is an access panel in there to take out and you can snuggle your look in there. Might work for you, but haven't seen this personally.

IF it were the LEFT side, down/up you would be good to go or a lot easier to fix for any Mondial model: 308/328/T coupe/cabriolet etc.

Leave it to 'them' to make such a simple task a costly one.

We have discussed a snake of sorts with camera on a line to get in there and clip the ties that bind [] but, we were cheap in starting that approach as we didn't understand the internal tie problem....had most of the engine just about out anyway, and it needed a major: SO, let’s do the major too...on a T that is an engine out, so, win/win/win.

First link is on my 'ID', 'Mondial' and 'window' in a search
http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/search.php?searchid=315373

These are the most help: Take a look.
http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9472&highlight=mondial+window

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11495&highlight=mondial+window

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9321&highlight=mondial+window

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10716&highlight=mondial+window

Quote:

Note: The electronic fuel door does not work and the pull cable is also broken. Both happened at the same time or thereabouts.

GAS LID: That is bad....how do you refuel? Or do you do the magnet on the door trick

QUESTION: Since they happened at the 'approximate same time' did the window become a problem at that time too? That could be interesting. BUT if only the lid happened at the same time, I'm guessing the cable obstructed the 'flipper' to the solenoid catch on the lid....should be more a mechanical fix, but the solenoid 'might' be burned out now as you kept trying to flip the switch while in a locked position [guessing here]

I would try and rethread the cable, but that is a hassle to open the engine lid then the gas lid every time, SO.

there might be a fuse, look at your box. Otherwise it probably is a simple inline item. But honestly I'm thinking the solenoid is just caput.

IF I think of anything else, I'll post. The solenoid is simple and easily replaced in terms of part...shoot, I'll bet you can rebuild it.

Take a couple pics once you are in there

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 05-26-2010 at 09:20 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-26-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Owner

fuel door

Thanks for the info. I will try to get to the solenoid and let you know what I find.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-31-2010, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I took the grate off both sides to peek in and see what I could see.

The fuel door is not accessable that way. On the other side with the window frozen down, I can not access the motor. Wow, this is a real headache. I tried to help the window up machanically, but it won't move.

Is there not an access from the inside door panel??? for both window and fuel door???
post #5 of 8 Old 05-31-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Granucci, thanks for the advice. I got the window up. Simply removed the grate and made sure that it was on track with no obstructions. Hooked up my charger to full blast and started the engine. Ran engine up and up went the window.

Now to fix that fuel door. The manuel pull cord is sprung and the electronic switch is still not functioning. How to get inside the fuel door hatch???
post #6 of 8 Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Quote:
Granucci, thanks for the advice. I got the window up. Simply removed the grate and made sure that it was on track with no obstructions. Hooked up my charger to full blast and started the engine. Ran engine up and up went the window.

Now to fix that fuel door. The manuel pull cord is sprung and the electronic switch is still not functioning. How to get inside the fuel door hatch???
Not sure I understand the grate off and you made sure it were on track when previously you said
Quote:
I took the grate off both sides to peek in and see what I could see.

The fuel door is not accessable that way. On the other side with the window frozen down, I can not access the motor.
Not sure I understand this exactly.

In cases like this it would be nice to have a camera in there....GREAT news!

Will try to do some looking for the access on the solenoid and cable part

BUT< I'll just bet, IF you call Daniel at Ricambi he might just know right off. He owned [perhaps still does] an Mondial T cabriolet, and done much work to include pull his engine.

Give them a ring..if not, visit their site [sponsor here] to see drawings.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #7 of 8 Old 06-01-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

CALLED Daniel and left message.

there is no drawing for the fuel door. a small item for them I'm sure.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-05-2010, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I got the fuel door open.
removed left rear wheel and unbolted under panel (whell well panel) and exposed the fuel door housing. The solenoid switch was frozen. I prior it loose and the fuel door poped open. Now I need a new switch and I will call Daniel for that.

Thanks again............................

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode