Mondial Rear Windows - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Mondial Rear Windows

Folks;

Having been considering a Mondial, I've been viewing Ferrari forum posts. The rear windows seem to be a serious bear in replacing, when they fail in the "down" position. I don't have real practical experience with the Mondial to offer, but I learned a few things from Alfas (Fiat electrical parts) that might be worth trying. The Alfa windows would commonly stick in the "down" position. Alfa (Fiat) knew this and provided a hand crank to stick into the base of the door, so as to crank the window up a couple of winds, so as to overcome inertia. Then the electric motor could take over. Sometimes, just starting the engine and driving around the block would put enough surplus charge on the battery to allow the electric motor to do its job, and raise the window. The thing is, if the window freezes in the down position, then certainly the motor/cabling needs attention (maybe just cleaning). But the immediate problem of a stuck window might can be solved, so that the window can raised and motor maintenance becomes a Saturday afternoon job, rather than some extreme under the chassis, behind the engine sump nightmare. If one can gain direct access to the motor harness via some access (intake louvers?) I would suggest at least trying: 1) Obtain a very high capacity set of jumper cables, 2) re-terminate both ends of the jumper cables so that one send will bolt onto the battery, and the other end will connect positively to the window motor harness, but with a high current switch (and fuse maybe) in the jumper cable circuit 3) rev the engine a bit and now engage the switch embedded in the jumper cable, 4) see if the window can be jolted up into the raised position, so you can remove the window system. Crude description, but this kind of measure is what other of us had to take to overcome those built in DC resistances common to Fiat circuits. Sorry for the obvious lack of familiarity with the Mondial. Good luck (I may have to try this myself, someday)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9472

Was the above thread the one you were discussing?

I can tell you the rear window doesn't seem to have any place to do the crank deal. Tried changing the switches and the power does [as that part is out now] get to the motor: Tested that.

I might get a couple pics this weekend to show you the part in question and how it looks.

BTW: IT IS a FIAT part...wish I could source the alternave item as the OEM / Ferrari supplier charges for your small children as a down payment.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #3 of 6 Old 03-15-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9472

Was the above thread the one you were discussing?

I can tell you the rear window doesn't seem to have any place to do the crank deal. Tried changing the switches and the power does [as that part is out now] get to the motor: Tested that.
Yes, that was the one. The infamous rear triangle window is also mentioned in SportsCarmarket.com:
http://www.sportscarmarket.com/Profi...tober/Ferrari/

Quote:
Tried changing the switches and the power does [as that part is out now] get to the motor: Tested that.
Well....unfortunately, I don't have personal experience with the Mondial, but just having ~12V back there at the motor isn't enough. Whereas there could be a real failure (not unusual for Fiat) that coincidentally happened with the window fully down, its also possible (quite so for Fiat) that resistance in the connections/oxidizing contacts/cold solder joints could cause just enough voltage drop and current impedance to prevent the motor getting the jolt it needs to overcome inertia after so many cycles. Therefore, unless someone needs to do the more major work to get to the motor and guides from under the engine, just running a heavy gauge wire set back there, positively connected at the battery and motor harness might at least get the window raised for easier maintenance.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1pate View Post
Yes, that was the one. The infamous rear triangle window is also mentioned in SportsCarmarket.com:
http://www.sportscarmarket.com/Profi...tober/Ferrari/.
GREAT FIND. Wow, so I and Rob Don't feel too foolish at the engine removal approach. BTW: always the right side, as the oil sump pan is the problem, the LEFT side is not to great an issue.

Quote:
Well....unfortunately, I don't have personal experience with the Mondial, but just having ~12V back there at the motor isn't enough. Whereas there could be a real failure (not unusual for Fiat) that coincidentally happened with the window fully down, its also possible (quite so for Fiat) that resistance in the connections/oxidizing contacts/cold solder joints could cause just enough voltage drop and current impedance to prevent the motor getting the jolt it needs to overcome inertia after so many cycles. Therefore, unless someone needs to do the more major work to get to the motor and guides from under the engine, just running a heavy gauge wire set back there, positively connected at the battery and motor harness might at least get the window raised for easier maintenance.

We have discussed a means to possibly create an access panel for that area underneath. Some thinking it sacralege, but not when a min. take out the engine is required. Reminds me of a certain Caddy where the engine needs removal for the spark plug changing....engineers can be like appliance designers: they'll get the idea when it comes time to clean the product.

Honestly, I have real issues with nooks and crannies in the kitchen/bathroom: Slab of concrete, water hose on the side, drain in the middle, hook up the car wash brush = good to go.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #5 of 6 Old 03-17-2010, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
We have discussed a means to possibly create an access panel for that area underneath. Some thinking it sacralege....
Who would notice? Even at a Concours? With my '86 Porsche 928, we have the choice of cutting a small access panel behind the liner in the wheel well to make removal of the brake master cylinder a cynch instead of a major pain. No down-side..... I would think the next owner would thank you. Good luck.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1pate View Post
Who would notice? Even at a Concours? With my '86 Porsche 928, we have the choice of cutting a small access panel behind the liner in the wheel well to make removal of the brake master cylinder a cynch instead of a major pain. No down-side..... I would think the next owner would thank you. Good luck.

OH YA' that reminds me: Ever replace a 348/Mondial T battery [let alone try to jump start one]: Requires the removal of the front, right wheel....Some day I'm going to find the engineer in Ferrari who designed a car that is put together ONCE with no regard for LATER maintenance......he a no gonna like dat da
Attached Images

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode