Mondial T / 348 : Fuel Anti Evaporator Canister - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 01-06-2010, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Mondial T / 348 : Fuel Anti Evaporator Canister

Mondial T / 348 : Fuel Anti-Evaporator Canister Device

First a Question: Why- What does it do, since not a required item except in certain areas

The Anti Evaporator Canister, see below pics [snapped from Ricambi Site] seem to be a major problem IF left too old. My question is WHY is this even needed.
It seems to collect the vapor from the fuel system ŗ filters it [of what?] in the canister ŗ recycles it via the cam cover ŗ then back into the intake area.

Vapors being recycled seems a good thing, but not entirely necessary IMO.
The problem comes, and canít seem to find much on this, is when that charcoal canister starts to either break down due to age or ?? and the particles within the canister get sucked into the intakes causing carbon damage.

This car has about 40k+ miles and never has anyone mentioned to replace the canister. Yet it could cause extensive damage to the pistons, valves etc.

Seems, a simple in-line filter, to trap the loose bits can relieve the problem IF not solve it entirely.

Has anyone had this similar problem and/or found a solution? Comments on this item would be appreciated.

Perhaps, since Mondial Ts were ahead of the production 348ís that they will obviously experience this sooner. Iím posting this in both spots as Mondial T owners and 348 guys need to have this addressed, albeit, they can be different as the diagram suggests.

[ANOTHER] Bit of trivia, which I have no answer:

I see from Ricambiís diagrams and such that there are various differences for 348 engines. Some require this or not or different depending on SMOG/Exhaust laws. So, it almost seems one can entirely bypass the system and just be done with it.
Attached Images

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
The charcoal canister is basically a pollution control device. For a lot of efficent newer model cars they give off more harmful polution parked than they do running. Evaporation from the fuel tank into the air just puts un-burnt hydrocarbons into the air.

On modern cars they have gone to the sealed screw on gas caps vs the vented caps on our old muscle cars and bikes. When you park your car out in the sun and the fuel in the tank starts to vaporize the vapors are forced through the charcoal canister. The charcoal traps the unburnt hydrocarbons and then when you start the car the canister is heated and the vapors are released and travel via hose to the intake where they are burnt by the combustion process.

The car will run just fine without the charcol canister if done correctly but will just put more emissions in the air. No problem if your in some place with plenty of clean air like CA? The big issue which I can't answer would be to find a way to remove it that wouldn't generate an ODBII code and make your check engine light come on. One of the things most modern cars ECM's monitor is the canisters function somehow? I know one of the most common causes for the check engine light to come on a lot of cars is a loose gas cap.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #3 of 4 Old 01-06-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
The charcoal canister is basically a pollution control device. For a lot of efficent newer model cars they give off more harmful polution parked than they do running. Evaporation from the fuel tank into the air just puts un-burnt hydrocarbons into the air.

On modern cars they have gone to the sealed screw on gas caps vs the vented caps on our old muscle cars and bikes. When you park your car out in the sun and the fuel in the tank starts to vaporize the vapors are forced through the charcoal canister. The charcoal traps the unburnt hydrocarbons and then when you start the car the canister is heated and the vapors are released and travel via hose to the intake where they are burnt by the combustion process.

The car will run just fine without the charcol canister if done correctly .
Thanks KKRace:
What I am thinking as my mech/Rob on this is, to put an inline fuel filter in the hose to trap such moecules. Replacing that filter than the $850+ canister makes more sense and probably is more updated. Not to mention what I'll explain below.

Quote:
but will just put more emissions in the air. No problem if your in some place with plenty of clean air like CA? The big issue which I can't answer would be to find a way to remove it that wouldn't generate an ODBII code and make your check engine light come on. One of the things most modern cars ECM's monitor is the canisters function somehow? I know one of the most common causes for the check engine light to come on a lot of cars is a loose gas cap.
I have to believe that vapor, would stay in the tank or vent normally without emission problems. Right. If gone to the outside air, it will not be spent out the tailpipe. So, no reading to mess up.
also, I believe the entire contraption was only meant to really spend those vented vapors back into the engine which makes sense but can do just as well otherwise.

Here is the problem. When that valve cover is off, you see soot, and granuals everywhere, and in piston area too. Matter of fact after almost 20 years the leak down =< 1% with the exception of the two cylinders that get hit with the ganuals: 7 & 2. The angle of the intake from the canister almost points to the 7/2 cylinders intakes and you can see the 'damage' on the cover walls directly across from the inlets. Also, when those granuals hit the wall their lost momentum causes them to almost go directly into those two cylinder areas. Burnt/carbon interiors, especially in 7/2 show this, while the others are minimal.

Take them out, regardless or spend the big bucks to correct, BUT, and this is big IMO, you must replace them very regularly and/or filter trap them on the canister's exhaust ports.

Just saying...this is true.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

post #4 of 4 Old 06-22-2010, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

As a bump, this T is still in the shop: What turned from a simple window 'fix' is now 'stuff'. Good thing, for now I have the 456 and truck working, otherwise SOL.

Will need to get the 456 into BC's shop ASAP after this as it's getting to have its yearly 'issues'. I can almost see him run when that beastie comes thru the door. Don't blame him....they can be daunting. My feeling, I'll let no one else touch it. Dealers would kill me with their lack of diagnostic abilities.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode