New life for a 1986 Ferrari 328 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-09-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
New life for a 1986 Ferrari 328

I purchased a Ferrari 328 in 1986. I drove it off and on but only put about 18,000 miles on it (we lived up north and it didn't get driven in the winter) before life got complicated. At that time she was running great but she has not been started for at least 15 years.

I have now moved to Florida and it's time to get her back on the road. I have not attempted to turn her over much less start her for fear that the timing belt will let go and lead to major damage due to the zero-clearance design of the engine. I know that there will be lots of other issues due to the fact that seals will have failed, etc. since she was not "put up" properly - I know, but that's water under the bridge ...

I now live in Tampa, Fl and I'm trying to figure out how I find someone I would trust to get her back in shape. I have mechanical skills but no way I'm going to take on this task.

I'm looking for someone who has an established reputation working on Ferrari, being honest, doing the job right the first time, is not a 'parts changer' (knows how to diagnose issues), and whose charges are reasonable. I am looking for the job to be done right, not necessarily fast. I'm willing to wait before they can start, but once they start I don't want it to be in parts for an extended period - I know how those stories go.

Ideal would be to find someone who has actually dealt with this situation (a car that has not been run for an extended period of time) but any recommendations would be helpful especially from people who have had major work done.

Regards,

Chuck Hackett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-22-2017, 12:16 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
I would recommend Tim Stanford Foreign Cars in Fort Lauderdale. I just purchased a 1986 328 GTS. He did the PPI and subsequent repairs. I did a search and found that he is judged to be one of the best Ferrari mechanics in South Florida.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-26-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Thanks for the recommendation - I'll add him to my list.

Chuck

post #4 of 4 Old 04-26-2017, 08:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 183
Gabe at European exotic center in Clearwater has a good reputation.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode