For Jimmy. FOCHK Ferrari 70th Anniversary. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-16-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 74
For Jimmy. FOCHK Ferrari 70th Anniversary.

Pictures taken at the Hong Kong Ferrari Owners Club tribute for the Ferrari 70th Anniversary
....and video,

As you can see the event was pretty wet!
Attached Images

575 Superamerica Rosso Corsa/Nero F1 HGTC RHD #145108
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-17-2017, 04:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 919
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Paul View Post
Pictures taken at the Hong Kong Ferrari Owners Club tribute for the Ferrari 70th Anniversary
....and video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPNcfILrL2Q

As you can see the event was pretty wet!
Sir Paul! for God's sake, man, it's raining! Don't they know it's forbidden to drive Ferraris in the wet?

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
post #3 of 8 Old 04-17-2017, 04:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,702
Garage
Paul, thank you for that. Although I am happy to see her in action and all, have to confess it is a mixed feeling inside. Have to move forward.

Thanx again for your thoughts.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

PS. Attached a photo of how she were when the GTO was with me.
Attached Images

Italian Lover

post #4 of 8 Old 04-17-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for the rain advice, which is pretty much what I have upheld for different reasons.
I have a 575 SuperAmerica which as you may be aware is susceptible to delamination of the electrochromic glass roof, but I have been firmly of the opinion that this is caused when the roof is locked closed, by the torsion of the car body and windscreen, given it started life as a coupe and had a lot of its strength cut away with the roof.
So....to avoid the potential delamination effects of the roof twisting with the torsion of the body, I (generally) only drive it with the top open so there is no strain on the glass. This philosophy has served me well and the roof is in perfect condition.
However, that weekend of the 70th anniversary, I had to bite the bullet and drive very carefully, avoiding bumps, with the roof closed and the sports settings de-selected for a smooth ride.
I must say however, my wife still had to keep mopping the water seeping in at the back top of the passenger window which was a less than perfect fit!!
Regards
PAUL

post #5 of 8 Old 04-17-2017, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Great looking car Jimmy

If I had one I would not have gotten rid of it!!

Thanks
PAUL

post #6 of 8 Old 04-18-2017, 03:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,702
Garage
Quote:
Great looking car Jimmy

If I had one I would not have gotten rid of it!!

Thanks
PAUL
Paul, she was and is still a beauty to behold...

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #7 of 8 Old 04-18-2017, 04:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 919
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the rain advice, which is pretty much what I have upheld for different reasons.
I have a 575 SuperAmerica which as you may be aware is susceptible to delamination of the electrochromic glass roof, but I have been firmly of the opinion that this is caused when the roof is locked closed, by the torsion of the car body and windscreen, given it started life as a coupe and had a lot of its strength cut away with the roof.
So....to avoid the potential delamination effects of the roof twisting with the torsion of the body, I (generally) only drive it with the top open so there is no strain on the glass. This philosophy has served me well and the roof is in perfect condition.
However, that weekend of the 70th anniversary, I had to bite the bullet and drive very carefully, avoiding bumps, with the roof closed and the sports settings de-selected for a smooth ride.
I must say however, my wife still had to keep mopping the water seeping in at the back top of the passenger window which was a less than perfect fit!!
Regards
PAUL
Of course I was yoking about the rain. Since i have it on very good authority that from the beginning of the Company Enzo had issued an edict of a warranty, good for the life of every Ferrari automobile or its owner, whichever is longer, that no Ferrari would ever melt as a result of being driven in the rain.

My thanks for the information about body torque on the SuperAmerica's being the cause of delaminating roofs. That makes a great deal of sense and is somewhat daunting information for owners.

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
post #8 of 8 Old 04-18-2017, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
Of course I was yoking about the rain. Since i have it on very good authority that from the beginning of the Company Enzo had issued an edict of a warranty, good for the life of every Ferrari automobile or its owner, whichever is longer, that no Ferrari would ever melt as a result of being driven in the rain.

My thanks for the information about body torque on the SuperAmerica's being the cause of delaminating roofs. That makes a great deal of sense and is somewhat daunting information for owners.

Thanks
Many FChat FLife forum members dispute my view on the SA roof and blame ECU issues prior to the ECU recall but I am convinced....and after 10+ years it seems to be paying off!
Thanks
Paul

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode