F40 vs. F50 - Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life » Ferrari Forum » Ferrari Owners » Supercars: 288, F40, F50, Enzo ::

F40 vs. F50


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
Owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 73
Default F40 vs. F50

Boxer

We know you view the F50 as the Daddy but it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on how the F40 and F50 compare and whether there are some areas in which you prefer the F40
over the F50.
Schnellmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,382
Default

Really interesting question. The two are very different cars that deliver power in completely different ways. The F50 is completely linear. The F40 has that enormous turbo boost that kicks in starting at around 4000 rpms. Handling on the F50 is better and the F40 is a much more physical car to drive. I prefer the seats in the F40 and the analogue dashboard. If there was one thing I owuld change on the F50, it is the digital dash which is near impossible to see in bright sunlight.


Boxer

F40
Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 73
Default

Thanks.

Must be great having the option of driving either.
Schnellmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellmann View Post
Thanks.

Must be great having the option of driving either.
I would be also interested in hearing 212Exports view.


Boxer

F40
Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Surrey, UK
Ferrari Life Posts: 59
Name: Stuart
Default

The sunshine on the digital dash would make for a interesting line if pulled over...
RevHappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Ferrari Life Posts: 67
Default

five or ten over you may get by depending how the officer feels and your attitude.... double the limit get out the check book, hope you are not on the way to jail....
sunskr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
Owner
 
Pablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Andorra La Vella
Ferrari Life Posts: 827
Name: Pablo
Default

Boxer , would you say the F40 is quicker from 100 to 150 miles than the F50?


Current:F40 , F50 , Enzo , Mclaren P1
Past: 348 spider ,F430, Dino 246 GTS
Waiting: F12 , Ghost 2015
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Boxer , would you say the F40 is quicker from 100 to 150 miles than the F50?
I understand a stock F40 is quicker in a straight line than the F50. I read recently an old article in Car & Driver where they tested a US F50 shortly after launch - despite Ferrari's best efforts to stop them by hinting to owners that letting their
car be used for testing would see them dropped off the preferential owners' list. It was a very interesting article. I will try to find the link. In any case, when they did get a car to test they found that it was neither as quick as the quoted factory figures nor as quick as the F40.

I've read that Ferrari didn't allow journalists much access to the F50 when it was launched. I suspect it was because it was not quite as quick as an F40 (even though Ferrari no doubt felt compelled to claim it was, given that it was the replacement). If that is true I suspect it was an own goal because had they been honest but also given journalists lots of time in the car they would have realised that the F50
(as subsequently confirmed by that great article in EVO and by Boxer and 212 on here) that the F50 is more special to drive than the F40.

I understand from Boxer's previous posts that his F40 has 600 bhp so assume his is noticeably quicker in a straight line than his F50 but would be interested to hear his thoughts.

I presume that as the F50 is NA and already has more
than 100 bhp per liter that the tuning potential is limited (although personally I think 520 is already quite sufficient!)
Schnellmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
Owner
Elite Member
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,976
Default

My subjective comment (and feelings):

F40 and F50: Both fantastic, outstanding "classics.

Handling: F50 much better, more stable, more reasurring, better (evolved) and different suspension system. For an average driver like myself probably more secure.

Power: F40 power delivery comes in a explosive way with the kick-in of the Turbos. That being probably felt that way because the F40 is lighter too. Weight differences mainly thru that great F50 12 cylinder ferrous block. In straight line comparison, the F40 will be quicker (weight advantage and torque difference due to different engine outlay), however when in life do we have straight line situations ?

Styling: Up to the beholder, F40 agressive 80's style, F50 smoother, rounder 90's style, both need some time to be cleaned afterwards

Sound: The Sound of the F40's wastegate is soooo beautiful, I'm missing that. However the feeling of driving a race-type of car is to me clearly more felt in the F50. Handling, direct vibrations, higher rpm's.....all towards the F50.

Seating: The F40 wins here clearly. IMO F40 seats are better than todays modern racing seats in street Ferraris.

Honest summary: They are different and both wonderful in their own means.
Suggestion: Try to drive both whenever possible and make your individual mind up.
Just my 2c.


Present: 365 GTB/4, F50, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40
212Export is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
Owner
Elite Member
 
m1076's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
... In straight line comparison, the F40 will be quicker (weight advantage and torque difference due to different engine outlay), however when in life do we have straight line situations ?
...

I have to say: NO. We tryed so often which of the two is faster and they always are about the same. Its more about who is earlier on the pedal.

But beside that, all mentioned is the same, i would write.
m1076 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 03:00 AM   #11
Owner
Elite Member
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1076 View Post
I have to say: NO. We tryed so often which of the two is faster and they always are about the same. Its more about who is earlier on the pedal.

But beside that, all mentioned is the same, i would write.
I never measured, it was just a feeling impression by myself. However YOU, besides Boxer, have both cars next to each other and be able to test it, therefore I rate your opinion much higher than my subjective blabla.


Present: 365 GTB/4, F50, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40
212Export is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
Owner
Elite Member
 
m1076's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
I never measured, it was just a feeling impression by myself. However YOU, besides Boxer, have both cars next to each other and be able to test it, therefore I rate your opinion much higher than my subjective blabla.
The feeling says, the F40 is faster, for sure.


But to say, you talk subjective bla bla?!?! Don´t think so.


By the way, please phone me! Its about the summer tour!
m1076 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #13
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,520
Name: Terry H Phillips
Default

Wasn't the F50 Ferrari's experiment with a lease program? Plus there did not seem to be any lack of access at the factory for the right magazine and test driver. It helped that Road & Track had Phil Hill as their test driver. The Italians always loved Hill, as they do most F1 champions who drove Ferraris and won.


Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Boxer , would you say the F40 is quicker from 100 to 150 miles than the F50?
No, my money would be on the F50.


Boxer

F40
Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Wasn't the F50 Ferrari's experiment with a lease program? Plus there did not seem to be any lack of access at the factory for the right magazine and test driver. It helped that Road & Track had Phil Hill as their test driver. The Italians always loved Hill, as they do most F1 champions who drove Ferraris and won.
Ferrari set up the lease program to try and eliminate all the issues they had with speculators on the F40.


Boxer

F40
Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #16
Owner
Elite Member
 
m1076's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 210
Default

I always thought, the lease program was for America only. In EU, I think, was a "multi-stage" payment. You pay a specific amount when sing the contract, than when production starts and than prior to delivery. Same as the Enzo later.

But maybe als depends on the dealer?!


By the way: you always drive much faster with the F50... Much higher corner speeds and much more trust to suspension capabilities. So, on the Autobahn much easier to see the 3 at the first digit.
m1076 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #17
Owner
Elite Member
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1076 View Post
I always thought, the lease program was for America only. In EU, I think, was a "multi-stage" payment. You pay a specific amount when sing the contract, than when production starts and than prior to delivery. Same as the Enzo later.

But maybe als depends on the dealer?!


By the way: you always drive much faster with the F50... Much higher corner speeds and much more trust to suspension capabilities. So, on the Autobahn much easier to see the 3 at the first digit.
Agree totally in trustful Suspension of F50. Way above F40's. F50 were on lease initially but later Rated "unlawful" rated in regards to consumer Protection Law.


Present: 365 GTB/4, F50, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40
212Export is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #18
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1076 View Post

By the way: you always drive much faster with the F50... Much higher corner speeds and much more trust to suspension capabilities. So, on the Autobahn much easier to see the 3 at the first digit.
Agree, brakes and handling are much more confidence inspiring on the F50.


Boxer

F40
Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ferrari Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:47 PM.