F355 355F1 pump motor replacement R&D - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-12-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 113
355F1 pump motor replacement R&D

Over the past several months, I have been developing cost-effective and practical solutions to 355 F1 pump motor, which has become almost "unobtanium". The original motors have been manufactured by Valeo electric motors division, which has been sold and resold again and again to other companies, and the production of this particular motor has been discontinued several years ago.

I have been reparing/refurbishing the 355F1 hydraulic power units for FerrParts over the past several years and now I ran out of all of my "new old stock" (NOS) 404.380 Valeo electric motors. However, the demand for this motor is only growing with time. Installation of 360F1 pump with Hill engineering adapter is a well established and tested option, which, however, is not cost-effective (from the cost of work involved to accomplish this); also, some Ferrari 355 owners want to keep their cars as original as possible. Therefore, I developed alternative motors for 355F1 hydraulic gear shifter unit, which is a direct plug-and-play type solution (see attached photos). The black colored motor is slightly longer than the stock motor, which requires a slight readjustment of the hydraulic unit position in the sub-frame (fixing screws should be loosened and the whole unit should be positioned about 0.5-1 inch higher to accommodate the electric motor, which installs from underneath the unit). In both motors, the motor shaft connects with the shaft of internal gear pump via a special spline connector (Oldham type) that is made from DelrinŽ (small dark brown-colored part in photos), which is provided with the motor and does not require any grease in the coupling.

The silver colored motor does not require any repositioning of hydraulic unit within the F1 mounting subframe, but because this motor is sold by Magneti Marelli it is significantly more expensive than the black-colored motor, which is a conventional OES 12V DC high torque motor that has the same RPM (3600) and draws about 4-5 Amps under load.

Installing this new motor takes only 15-20 minutes, which is certainly faster, much easier, and significantly cheaper, than removing the whole unit for installation of Hill Engineering adapter and 360F1 pump, which requires disconnecting hydraulic lines and removing the whole F1 unit out of the car, customization of sub-frame to accommodate the new 360F1 pump, and reconnecting and re-bleeding hydraulic lines. etc.

Before launching this product on eBay, I would like to test it's performance in several other cars. So, I am looking for "volunteers" who will want to test this motor in their cars. If any of you, DIY-type Ferrari 355F1 owners, are interested, then let me know and I will ship a unit for you to install in your car and test-drive it for a while.

Chiao!
Attached Images

Last edited by jgelovani; 03-12-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-05-2017, 02:56 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
Are there any advantages to this pump over a 360 pump? Or is this simply just an alternative to the 355 pumps that are prone to failure?
post #3 of 8 Old 04-05-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nin10do View Post
Are there any advantages to this pump over a 360 pump? Or is this simply just an alternative to the 355 pumps that are prone to failure?
This is an aftermarket electric motor for 355F1 hydraulic gear shifter power unit. It is a direct plug-and-play model, which does not require any additional modifications of the hydraulic power unit manifold. The motor shaft connects with the shaft of internal gear pump via a special spline connector (Oldham type) that is made from DelrinŽ (a round dark brown-colored part in photos), which is provided with the motor and does not require any grease in the shaft coupling cavity. Mounting bolts and washers are also provided in the kit.

As I said before, installing this new motor takes only 15-20 minutes, which is certainly faster, much easier, and significantly cheaper ($250-$450 in labor cost or free, if you do it yourself), than removing the whole unit for installation of Hill Engineering adapter and 360F1 pump, which requires disconnecting hydraulic lines and removing the whole F1 unit out of the car, customization of sub-frame to accommodate the new 360F1 pump, and reconnecting and re-bleeding hydraulic lines. etc. (the cost of labor alone varies from shop to shop between $2K to $4K just for that).

The hydraulic pump head in 355F1 is not part of this replacement electric motor, because the pump head is located inside the hydraulic fluid reservoir on the other side of the electric motor mounting plate (see pictures of the pump head below):
Attached Images

Last edited by jgelovani; 04-05-2017 at 11:09 AM.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-07-2017, 07:27 AM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
I'm excited to test this pump motor out Juri! Thanks for offering this option.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 Old 04-08-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hello,
Thank you for your interest for testing this new motor. However, I have 6 tester requests already and I can not afford more at this time. I will let you knbow when this motor will be offered for sale (probably after a couple of months).
Kind regards,
Juri.

Last edited by jgelovani; 04-08-2017 at 01:40 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-08-2017, 03:37 AM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgelovani View Post
Hello,
Thank you for your interest for testing this new motor. However, I have 6 tester requests already and I can not afford more at this time. I will let you knbow when this motor will be offered for sale (probably after a couple of months).
Kind regards,
Juri.
My apologies, I thought I was one of the tester's per our prior PM exchanges.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 Old 04-09-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I sent you a PM to arrange the testing.
Cheers!
post #8 of 8 Old 04-09-2017, 03:44 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 376
Update

Realistically you cannot do the swap in less than 1.5 hrs.
Motor seems faster rpm wise
Primes faster than OEM
Heat shield and everything stays as original
Larger wires than OEM so draws less amps. (I will check next drive)
Waterproof plug
Concours acceptable
No bleeding of F1 required because no lines including reservoir are disconnected
Made in America

As you can tell I was impressed.

I will keep the forum posted on any other updates.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode