308gtsi problems - Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life » Ferrari Forum » Ferrari Owners » Pre '99 V8s: GT4, 308, 328, 348, F355 ::

308gtsi problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 53
Default 308gtsi problems

hi there my gtsi starts eagerly from cold and when hot,but will not have it if it has been run then stopped for a couple of hours,this has also usually happened when on a hill also.as when i start her elsewhere it is usually on the level hot or cold ,so i need to stop her after a run and leave for two hours on the level,if it wont work then its flatbed time!any comments appreciated!
woodyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,923
Name: Archie

Just bumping this back to the top of the daily post list for you. Sorry, but I can't help.

Archie
archiegibbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,386

Does it sound like fuel starvation ? Is the engine turning over but not catching ?

Boxer

F40
Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
Owner

Default problems

thankyou boxer it could be,i will take her out later .
Old 09-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 15

Does sound like a vapour lock somewhere, mine starts great ALL the time. Idling is a bit ragged when very cold however. But thats cause it runs very rich till warmed up.
avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
Owner

Default 308 gtsi

thankyou for your thoughts on the problem avi8tor,your comments are greatly appreciated and along with boxer ,it is sounding like i just shouldnt park her on hills!because its increasingly obvious that this is the issue.i hthink its a fine line between enough fuel and flooding the arse off her,in a short second or two!while trying to get some air in.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
ggk
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 8

I had a similar issue with my 80 308. I had to replace the backflow valve coming from the fuel pump, this wears out and does not keep pressure in the lines to prevent the fuel turning to vapor, hence a vapor lock issue. Hope this helps! Capt Pete should get all the credit, he is a master at fuel injection.

Gus

ggk
1980 GTSI
ggk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,958
Name: Mario

Vapor lock is an easy problem to solve...

Cause: The engine overheats, causing the fuel line, fuel pump and carburetor to heat up.

Result: Excess vaporization of fuel in the carburetor and/or actual vapor lock in the fuel line or fuel pump.

Solution: Wrap the fuel lines on both sides of the pump with aluminum foil tape and depending on the pump style you have, you can also wrap the pump.

This is a precaution if your car is prone to vapor lock. This will not work to help fix it when it's happened; this is for the next times it wants to happen.

Hold the throttle open just a bit with the accelerator pedal while you crank. Don't move the throttle at all while cranking, or the accelerator pump with flood the carburetor. The reason for cracking the throttle open it to avoid using the idle jet alone, as this runs the car richer than the main jet, and a rich-hot mixture makes the car flood easily.

When the engine catches, hold the throttle still until it clears the excess fuel and it will rev a little higher, so no worries.

Came back to edit: Almost forgot, if you have problems starting in hills, check the choke flap operation for sticking & float level, might be a good time for a carb cleaning.

My .02 cents

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by Magnum6464; 09-27-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Magnum6464 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ferrari Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.