Ferrari Life Ferrari Forum Ferrari Owners Pre '69: 212, 250, 275, 330, 365 ::

250 GTO replica for sale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2004, 08:15 AM   #21

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,082

actually converting a datsun into a "ferrari" is even worse in my book
then building a replica body onto another ferrari chassis
Dj Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:29 AM   #22
DJ

Ferrari Life Posts: 300

patpong,
who are we tell whether to have fun or not in whatever car you drive. The question here is what's the idea behind it. If you restyle your car into something it isn't for your own pleasure, I don't have a prob with it, BUT what if those cars turn up reporting to be the real thing? I don't think it would happen to a restyled Datsun or Fiero in case of the Testarossa, but some of these recreations are done so well on a excisting Ferrari. There are examples of what those situations can lead to. Sales turn in law-suits and a lot of negative publicity in what already is a tough market segment.
DJ
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2004, 06:52 PM   #23

Ferrari Life Posts: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
patpong,
who are we tell whether to have fun or not in whatever car you drive. The question here is what's the idea behind it. If you restyle your car into something it isn't for your own pleasure, I don't have a prob with it, BUT what if those cars turn up reporting to be the real thing? I don't think it would happen to a restyled Datsun or Fiero in case of the Testarossa, but some of these recreations are done so well on a excisting Ferrari. There are examples of what those situations can lead to. Sales turn in law-suits and a lot of negative publicity in what already is a tough market segment.
DJ
I agree with you there. If it is reported as a real thing then it is a lie. Then the s/n will come in to play the important role. Meanwhile, I have been seriously thinking about when I will actually own my ultimate dream a Ferrari 250 GTO answer always come out never. I can stop that dream and disappoint myself or I can grab a replica. What is your thought on that?
patpong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2004, 10:47 AM   #24

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
Name: Scott

If I could afford it, I would buy it. It's a real Ferrari, repro body or not, and looks to be very well done.

When I hear about 330 2+2's that are converted or parted out ...I think that there's one more of a limited production model gone...and then I think that makes the remaining ones, like mine, rarer and more collectable
jsa330 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2004, 06:12 AM   #25

Ferrari Life Posts: 613

I would buy her... ...sorry for de GTE.
But I don't realy know if I 'am against reboulding into a different type. It's not 'ford' based or something, so it is still a Ferrari. Ferrari used to rebody their cars a lot in the past...

...and I'm not against a good replica, if used voor de right purpose. I would like to build myself a replica f1 car or a P4 if I could, but only for shows and relive history.

:roll: :-? But looking at conversions... ...the 250 GTE is lost!?
marcos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2004, 06:51 PM   #26

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Default vlado

Thanks for listing the serial numbers of the rebodied 'fake/replicas'. What is the history of these new rebodied parts? Were the body shells obtained from Ferrari? And where/ what date was the conversion work done? I believe a previous post refered to a Cavalino issue that had more data about these cars; did anyone post this issue number?
Thank you.
VL
vlado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2004, 12:08 AM   #27

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211

Hi and welcome to the site. It is always nice to see somebody with an interest in s/n. I have no idea what issue it was, but maybe somebody else can help here.
Dr. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2004, 09:22 AM   #28
DJ

The Cavallino talked above was issue no 99.
The article on page 50 by Gianni Rogliatti was about: What makes a real Ferrari? Mr Rogliatti was appointed by the Court of Justice in Modena to sort out what cars were to be considered false, total rebuilds, etc. And to which degree a car may have been altered to still be considered genuine.
The article states also only 1 genuine Ferrari replica excists as replica means: a copy made be the same artist. So this means only 125 S s/n 90125 is a replica.
In July 1993 the Italian Police visited several mechanical and body shops in northern Italy and seized a number of Ferrari cars in various stages of assembly. The Factory represented itself as damaged party in this lawsuit as it absolutely forbids such practise in trying to pass other cars as a replica.
He ends his article with the tought :"A final comment. I do not claim to be the bearer of the absolute truth, nor to please everybody who ownes an historically valuable car. To my credit, I can say that I never dealt in the buying or selling any Ferrari cars. I only bought one Ferrari in my life, from Mr Ferrari himself, who wrote me a "welcome to the family"card, and I keep it so original that I even go to inflate the tires in Maranello so the air is the right one...."
So it was not an article about 'rebodied' GTE's but merely a tought about what to call them.
Jurgen
Old 09-29-2004, 09:26 AM   #29
DJ

BTW, Vlado welcome to the site :lol:
Old 10-01-2004, 05:46 AM   #30
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684

WOW!!! What a beautiful car!
Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2004, 07:13 PM   #31
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,323
Name: Andrew

vlado,

Welcome to the site. Often these replicas are rebodied by a coachbuilder today. What that means is they will use an existing chassis from say a 330 and just pound a whole new body to look like the 250 GTOs. So the result isn't always parts left over from Ferrari.

You may want to contact the seller via the "Option" box on the upper right of the classified ad. Hopefully the seller can shed more light on the subject.

Regards,
Andrew
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2004, 10:17 PM   #32

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Default vlado

Thank you for the welcome. This forum is an excellent resource for Ferrari information.

Regards to a few of the past posts:
1-Cavalino 99 is an excellent summary of the replica/fake situation. However, as long as the original production-vintage vehicles are well documented, the history of these artifacts can be protected. Market conditions and "buyer-beware" will settle the replica/fake vehicles.
2-DJ: what is the source of your list of the rebodied replicas? I imagine the true count of these rebodied replicas is much higher than as shown in the list.
3-Three magazine articles exist that describe three separate tales regarding these rebodied replicas. Car and Driver, December 1989, describes the odd and tragic tale of William Farve's rebodied replicas of Ferraris; the article does note that initially wrecked V-12s served as the donor vehicles till their availability was exhausted. The second article, Automobile Magazine, November 1993, reports the arrests of replica makers in Italy as noted in Cavalino 99. Finally, Automobile, September 1994, interviews a coachbuilder in Wisconsin and delves into these very same philosophical arguments.
4- In various readings and classified advertisments, I'm led to believe that many skilled auto body shops around the world have produced GTO bodies. Thus the numbers of these rebodied replicas/fakes can be ever increasing.
5-My interest in all this is from a chance sighting of a rebodied replica GTO at Elkhart, WI a few weeks ago. At first, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. In visiting with the owner, it was explained what this car was and where it came from (I did not get the serial number......but I know where he lives!). Though it was disappointing to learn it was a replica, it was none the less exciting to see the form and hear the V-12 roar off.

Thanks again,
VL
vlado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2004, 04:48 AM   #33
DJ

Vlado,
my list is made up by nearly 20 years of collecting sn's. The list I've collected is the result of spotting(by myself and others), going through a huge amount of automags and all kind of registers on WWW. I've got a lot of those cars with a pic as proof.
Jurgen
Old 08-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #34
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,100
Default Another

Ferrari | eBay

But starting at $389,000.

Interesting attempt.

( 1 ) FERRARI 250 GTO REPODUCTION ( CAR SOLD FOB GERMANY )
MADE FROM a FERRARI 330 GT 2+2 MK 1 Road Car
ENGINE :
V12 Type 209 converted to dry sum lubrication and fitted with 6x20
DCN downs draugth Webber Cab's
Engine rebuild by Terry Hoyle at TDH Classic UK
Less than 2000 Mil after rebuilt
GEAR BOX :
4 Speed with Overdrive Modified to 5- slot gate with reverse gear look out.
FRONT SUSPENSION:
Up-graded Brakes and Shocks absorber Borrani Wheel's Type 3808
Mounted with 225x15 Michelin XWX Watt's linkcags fitted to rear Axle .
BODY :
Reproduction of a body buck from a original GTO this 1962 250 GTO style body
was hand rolled from Aluminum Painted in Swedish National Colors of blue with a
yellow front. Correct Headlights , rear lights with spot lights along with fuel Tank
filler cup door latches and bonnet catches.
Tiplex front Wind-shield with sliding Perspex door window and Perpex rear window .

CHASSIS :
Correct 88mm oval tube chassis with Superlaggera Body mounts constructions.
Hand rived Aluminum petrol tank and oil tank.
INTERIOR :
Black carpet with sketchily blue bucked Seats with 4 point rear belt harnesses .
Orackle black dash with rev counter , fuel level, oil pressure , fuel pressure ,
oil temperature, water temperature, charging rate veglia gauges , veglia Speedo
mounted on the gear box cowling plus Nardi Steering Wheel.
ADDITIONAL MODIFICATIONS :
Engine converted to run on unleaded fuel
Head exchanger added for driving in the comfort and demisting front window .
Hazard warning light
Reversing light wiring
Anti theft switch
Windscreen washer system
Interior light system
Photos
This Car is offered by Gemballa USA
representing the Owner
We can arrange Enclosed Transport within the Main USA
Export via Air-freight or Ocean Freight
For more info on this Ferrari 250 GTO
Heinz Meis ( 310 ) 457 1709 e-mail gemballana@msn.com
Attached Images

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Granucci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #35
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,610
Name: David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bob View Post
The body isn't exactly the most important part of the car. The engine/drivetrain/suspension is.
Reminds me of what Enzo himself once said: "I dont sell cars, I sell engines. The cars I throw in for free since something has to hold the engine."

Still, I mourn the loss of 250s and 330s. I too hope to have one one day.
Killer58 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011, 04:38 AM   #36
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,352
Name: Doug

In today's economy this is just a bad idea!

If it were a no reserve auction my guess would be under 150k.
champagne612 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #37
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 564

Sorry to be the spoiler, but I think any Ferrari "recreation", or whatever word the maker/seller chooses in an attempt to assuage his guilt, that cannibalizes another vintage Ferrari is an abomination. Do you guys really think that there are just loads of 330s and 250GTEs lying around waiting to be cut-up? There aren't.

There original cars are dying by the dozens every year. Between the fake-makers and the guys who own and race real-deal 250SWBs, the project 330s and GTEs don't stand a chance. The SWB owners only want the 3 and 4 liter motors - the project cars have become nothing more than carrying cases for the motor. If an SWB owner can get a project 330 or GTE for less than about 60k, then he is ahead, since that's what I hear the Factory is charging to make a tipo 209 motor from scratch.

I heard a very disturbing story that the very first 330 America (looks like a GTE, but with 330 drivetrain) is about to be sold and gutted for its motor. I also understand that the protoptipo 4-headlight 330GT (5263) was chopped up last year for a fake. . . . .

Last edited by bryanp; 08-13-2011 at 01:44 PM.
bryanp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #38
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 451

About the replica culture, the grey area is the Ferrari recreated from another Ferrari chassis, using Ferrari parts in the recreation. Is it a Ferrari?

With the Ferrari serial number yes it is --and yet it isn't. It didn't arrive from the factory in whole as the recreated car. But meticulous cars on the level of what is posted here is a sort of "super replica" as it has Ferrari provenance. It's not the oddly proportioned Datsun Z fake. It's well beyond that to the extent that it could actually be another GTO added to the small fleet of originals, crafted from an original GTO buck.

And with upgraded mechanicals such as the brakes it would probably handle better than an original GTO. But yet it's not an original The owner cannot ever relish in the full honor and glory of an original GTO, nor feel the actual full ensemble of an originally created GTO on the road. It may come 90% close to an original GTO's feel, but it will always be a fake.

A road test would be interesting. I have never seen a Top Gear or Evo road test between a super replica GTO and a fully original one.
viscount aero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #39
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,352
Name: Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscount aero View Post
About the replica culture, the grey area is the Ferrari recreated from another Ferrari chassis, using Ferrari parts in the recreation. Is it a Ferrari?

With the Ferrari serial number yes it is --and yet it isn't. It didn't arrive from the factory in whole as the recreated car. But meticulous cars on the level of what is posted here is a sort of "super replica" as it has Ferrari provenance. It's not the oddly proportioned Datsun Z fake. It's well beyond that to the extent that it could actually be another GTO added to the small fleet of originals, crafted from an original GTO buck.

And with upgraded mechanicals such as the brakes it would probably handle better than an original GTO. But yet it's not an original The owner cannot ever relish in the full honor and glory of an original GTO, nor feel the actual full ensemble of an originally created GTO on the road. It may come 90% close to an original GTO's feel, but it will always be a fake.

A road test would be interesting. I have never seen a Top Gear or Evo road test between a super replica GTO and a fully original one.
A road test would be very cool!

If the girls in Playboy and waitress at Hooters can satisfy their customers with fake racks why can't people build whatever they wish with their money.

I don't get the hatin when there is zero skin in the game.
champagne612 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #40
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,610
Name: David

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
If the girls in Playboy and waitress at Hooters can satisfy their customers with fake racks why can't people build whatever they wish with their money.

I don't get the hatin when there is zero skin in the game.
Apples and melons, er... oranges.

The "recreation" really has nothing to do with it, it's distaste for killing a desireable car in order to make it.
Killer58 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ferrari Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.