F430 Shifting issues from 1st to 2nd - Ferrari Life
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jgelovani

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-29-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Shifting issues from 1st to 2nd

Hello all,

New to the Forum here and to the Ferrari world. Recently purchased an F430 and it preformed nicely on the test drive no issues and shifted perfectly.

Yet, after about 3- 4 hours of joy riding over the weekend it started acting funny during shifting between first and second at low speeds. It does not want to go into second when shifting from first in manual mode and does not do it all the time. Also, I should note that there are no warnings that come on during this issue when it occurs.

For testing purposes I selected automatic mode and the issue goes away completely, no shifting issues at all everything works perfectly.

It only does it between first and second when this occurs and all the other gears switch up and down perfectly. any Ideas or insight as to what may be causing the issues I am currently having I would be grateful.

Thank you to any that share/provide insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-29-2017, 09:21 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,103
Hi, welcome to FerrariLife and congrats for your new purchase!

When you start having random shifting issues in manual mode, there can be different causes and the only way to find out is to have it checked at your dealer with their diagnostic tools. There is good chance that one or several error codes are already stored in the TCU. I would not wait because such situations can only get worst and may leave you stranded. Causes can be hydraulic pressure too low, air bubbles in the hydraulics (need bleeding), misalignment, actuator sensors, etc.

Wishing you best luck and I hope you'll get it fixed easily.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-30-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply StefVan,

I called the Ferrari dealership for service and they said it could be a number of things, (clutch, worn F1 pump, air in the F1 system) just as you mentioned! They too wanted to check for error codes for the issue.

I will take it to them this week for the diagnostics/repair. I have already ordered a newer F1 pump from Jiri off ebay and will swap that out before taking it the dealer. Hopefully it would be a simple resolution to solve such as bleeding the F1 system rather than a clutch job.

But hey I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, but would suck to inherit someones clutch job.

Any how brother, thanks for the information. Very much appreciated.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-01-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Great news!

I received the new pump today, got it installed and the issues went away. Shifts like a dream now.

Drove in automatic mode for a bout 15- 20 minutes taking it easy when doing so and then switched to manual mode.
noticeable difference in the way it shifted before and now after the new pump install.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-01-2017, 06:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson32 View Post
Great news!

I received the new pump today, got it installed and the issues went away. Shifts like a dream now.

Drove in automatic mode for a bout 15- 20 minutes taking it easy when doing so and then switched to manual mode.
noticeable difference in the way it shifted before and now after the new pump install.
Nice to hear your positive feedback. Would you please post pictures of the installed pump and document its performance, such as the duration of pump cycle.

Juri
post #6 of 10 Old 06-01-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Yes sir, will do.

Juri, I am so pleased with the pump. The old one must have been very week with the noticeable differences in shifting.Not only did I notice the differences my brother did as well when he was driving the car.

I will document and post pics either tomorrow or Saturday. Ill document the performance as requested along with the duration of pump cycle.

Thank you again!
post #7 of 10 Old 06-03-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so got it out and drove it this morning, all was good. shifts were fine and performed nicely. Drove it on back roads to the auto parts store in manual mode and shift were doing there thing as expected, drove back home same thing all was good.

Messed around the house today and got ready to out to grab some dinner and since it was driving nicely decided to take it out again tonight. well, pulled out of the drive way and the issue reared its head again. Same issue again when shifting from first to second, pull the paddle again and it jumps to fifth gear.

put it in automatic mode and it shifts fine.????

Anyways calling Automotive International in Charlotte on Monday to get an appointment to have it diagnosed as to what is occurring.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-05-2017, 08:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson32 View Post
Ok, so got it out and drove it this morning, all was good. shifts were fine and performed nicely. Drove it on back roads to the auto parts store in manual mode and shift were doing there thing as expected, drove back home same thing all was good.

Messed around the house today and got ready to out to grab some dinner and since it was driving nicely decided to take it out again tonight. well, pulled out of the drive way and the issue reared its head again. Same issue again when shifting from first to second, pull the paddle again and it jumps to fifth gear.

put it in automatic mode and it shifts fine.????

Anyways calling Automotive International in Charlotte on Monday to get an appointment to have it diagnosed as to what is occurring.
It must be some sort of electrical problem outside the F1 hydraulic unit .... hard to even speculate (paddle switch, TCU?) without diagnostics done.
RackCity likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-05-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgelovani View Post
It must be some sort of electrical problem outside the F1 hydraulic unit .... hard to even speculate (paddle switch, TCU?) without diagnostics done.
This is true, I have an appointment to drop the car off on Wednesday afternoon. So we shall see what the prognosis is after they hook it up to the SD3 and see what codes are being generated.

Ill post back when i hear something.

Thank you
post #10 of 10 Old 06-07-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Dropped the car off today @ Automotive International and will let them diagnose what the issue may be. So we will see. Said they would hook it up to the Leonardo as see what codes it will be giving off.

Anyway, 1 hr and 10 minute drive to their shop, with some stop and go traffic along the way and the car ran beautifully all the way there. Ran the car in manual mode all the way down. Shifts were perfect in every scenario, but lead tech didn't lean to the clutch as being the culprit, he said it could be possible but didn't think that was causing the issue.

He did mention checking the TCU, and bleeding the F1 system before moving to anything else. Unlike the stealership I called which went straight to the clutch possibly needing to be replaced before even taking the car to them.

Really impressed with the open atmosphere at the shop, friendly and open communication.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode