F430 frustrating issues on my new F430 Spider - Ferrari Life
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 05-23-2017, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 523
frustrating issues on my new F430 Spider

I guess this type of thing is part of the Ferrari ownership experience, however, this type of thing has not really happened to me before. Its frustrating but hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel. I purchased my F430 Spider from a reputable Toronto dealer last November and immediately stored it for winter. Unfortunately the weather here in Toronto has not really cooperated this Spring so the opportunities to drive it on weekends have not really materialized as hoped. Not only has the weather been quite cold but we've had buckets of rain. I did manage to have one nice drive with a locally based club, and then decided to add some additions to my car, and that's when the troubles started. The first thing I did was install a Blackvue Dashcam (don't ask me why I did it, it was probably a mistake, and an impulse decision I now regret because I didn't need one for the 3 years I owned my previous 575M Maranello). After that was installed I immediately started to have battery issues, with the battery going dead at the shop that did the install when I went to pick it up, and then again at my home when I planned to bring it back to the dealer for a full PPF (clear plastic paint coat protection) install. When I initially questioned the shop about using my trickle charger while the car was stationary at home (as well as a friend who has one on his Porsche but drives it every day), I was told there is not need to do that because along with the dash cam they also installed something called a Multi-safer which is supposed to control the voltage usage and turn off the dash cam if its too much. It seems that they were both wrong, as when I brought the car back to the shop to do the PPF install, my battery died again and not only that, it was so bad we initially could not get the top to go back up because of too much battery drain. We had to let the car charge (with a trickle charger) for a few more hours before we could get the top to go up, and until I could leave. During the stay at this shop, I also asked them to do a track inspection and they found 3 issues with the car, the first being a leak in the F1 pump hose, the second a broken exhaust bracket, and the 3rd being a loose tie rod. So after leaving that shop I immediately drove my car back to the dealer who sold me the car. I expected the battery to be charged after the 30 minute highway drive to get there, but apparently it didn't because when I turned the car off, it wouldn't start. In discussions with the dealer they fortunately agreed to look after all the other issues found (exhaust bracket, F1 pump hose leak, tie rod replacement) but the battery replacement is on me. I asked them to have someone in from an media shop that they use to install dash cams for their clients just to double check the install that the other shop did, and they found that the Multi-safer I originally purchased for the dash cam to save the battery is not appropriate for Ferrari use, so I had them install the appropriate component. Then while servicing the car to replace the broken exhaust bracket at the dealer a technician did not screw back the rear diffuser properly and so it fell, taking the bumper with it and causing a tear. They were honest enough to tell me and will fix it. I can't very well say I am happy about this turn of events but I guess "shit happens". I guess all the love and care I planned for my car to protect it has achieved the opposite. Very frustrating, and part of it is that I now have to wait another two weeks for my car to be ready and may miss the track day. Such is life.
Rohry likes this.

Last edited by tifosi_; 05-23-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,103
Really sorry to hear all the misadventures you had with your F430 Spider.

I believe that you have a battery issue and the first step would be to get it replaced and your alternator checked. A car like the F430 really needs a battery in perfect condition.

Secondly, it's very easy to measure the current drain when the car is locked and all ECUs are at rest. I would ask your shop who sold you the dashcam to check that. It's the only way to make sure if the dashcam is the draining too much current or if there is any other root cause. Sometimes, a simple switch can be cause of this (windows, glove box etc).

Regarding the exhaust bracket, unfortunately, that's a very well known issue and it will happen again. Let say that were lucky that is was not the exhaust manifold which cracked but the bracket. Whatever manifold version you have, MKI or MKII, they will fail sooner or later. Many owners changed them with aftermarket manifolds (without the pre-cats) and changed also the exhaust brackets to avoid a catastrophic engine failure (pre-cat material getting sucked back in the engine). A lot has been written on this subject, you really have to be aware of this.

Now your dealer should do some minimum quality check to avoid losing the rear diffuser! I wouldn't have been as calm as you are if this happened to me )

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
post #3 of 29 Old 05-23-2017, 02:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,720
Garage
Clyde, so sorry to hear your issues. I cannot give you any technical advices but can understand your frustrations. As to your mishap by the dealer's guy, sometimes you have to wonder if they are professional or not. I can give you a few of my experiences but better not to indulge in the negatives. In indirect reference to your story, here in Japan, Cornes Co. has been the long time official dealer where F owners have their cars cared for by them (I do not). By my close friend, I am warned that since their reshuffle in corporate structure, Cornes has lost most of the experienced mechanical staff and left with more than less desirable crew now, which makes you wonder if they are up to their skills.

Good luck with resolving your issues so that you can enjoy your spider.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover

post #4 of 29 Old 05-23-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
Really sorry to hear all the misadventures you had with your F430 Spider.

I believe that you have a battery issue and the first step would be to get it replaced and your alternator checked. A car like the F430 really needs a battery in perfect condition.

Secondly, it's very easy to measure the current drain when the car is locked and all ECUs are at rest. I would ask your shop who sold you the dashcam to check that. It's the only way to make sure if the dashcam is the draining too much current or if there is any other root cause. Sometimes, a simple switch can be cause of this (windows, glove box etc).

Regarding the exhaust bracket, unfortunately, that's a very well known issue and it will happen again. Let say that were lucky that is was not the exhaust manifold which cracked but the bracket. Whatever manifold version you have, MKI or MKII, they will fail sooner or later. Many owners changed them with aftermarket manifolds (without the pre-cats) and changed also the exhaust brackets to avoid a catastrophic engine failure (pre-cat material getting sucked back in the engine). A lot has been written on this subject, you really have to be aware of this.

Now your dealer should do some minimum quality check to avoid losing the rear diffuser! I wouldn't have been as calm as you are if this happened to me )

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Thanks StefVan, Yes the battery has already been replaced and now the dealer is looking after the other issues that I mentioned. Good to know that the F430 needs a battery in good condition much more so I guess than my old 575M Maranello did. I will have to keep an eye on how it is doing after I get the car back to make sure that the dash cam does not cause any draining again (otherwise I'll remove the dash cam once and for all). Actually the shop called someone who they use that installed a new voltage regulator to control the dash cam, and they claim I won't have to worry about it again but that I should hook up my Ctek trickle charger when its in my garage during the work week to ensure the battery is in good condition when I use the car on weekends.
Yes I have heard of the exhaust manifold issue. In fact I was told that my manifolds were replaced at one time with newer MK11 manifolds and that "I should be ok for a while". I was actually thinking of replacing them next year anyway perhaps with Capristo manifolds or maybe from Kline. Anyway I hope to make these last until next year.
Yes I have asked my dealer to do a number of checks, and though I appear calm now, believe me I was not calm when I went over these issues with the dealer originally, but as you know time helps.
Clyde
post #5 of 29 Old 05-23-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Lover View Post
Clyde, so sorry to hear your issues. I cannot give you any technical advices but can understand your frustrations. As to your mishap by the dealer's guy, sometimes you have to wonder if they are professional or not. I can give you a few of my experiences but better not to indulge in the negatives. In indirect reference to your story, here in Japan, Cornes Co. has been the long time official dealer where F owners have their cars cared for by them (I do not). By my close friend, I am warned that since their reshuffle in corporate structure, Cornes has lost most of the experienced mechanical staff and left with more than less desirable crew now, which makes you wonder if they are up to their skills.

Good luck with resolving your issues so that you can enjoy your spider.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Thank you for your good wishes Jimmy,
I understand that the technical ability in Japan is above the norm we have here anyway, and I have seen some cars that were sold to Canadian owners which originally were in Japan that are in such good condition I could hardly believe my eyes. I saw a 512 TR from Japan that was in such good condition that the owner still had the tire stickers on the car. Truly amazing.
All the best to you Jimmy,
Clyde
post #6 of 29 Old 05-23-2017, 08:51 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Clyde, even if your battery got already replaced (I hope not with the stock Fiamm battery), here are some battery related tips in the following thread:

Euro cars - best battery replacement

I'm having this Varta/Bosch AGM battery since almost 3 years and I'm more than happy. The cranking power is just amazing.

If you have the datasheets of your dashcam and the voltage regulator, I can have a look to it.
post #7 of 29 Old 05-24-2017, 01:10 AM
Owner

Garage
Clyde, that is good to hear that the cars you saw from Japan were outstanding. Yes, there are many owners here that are fanatics when it comes to pampering. However, there are many cases too where sleazy brokers/dealers are abound too.

Hope your concerns with your car is resolved soon.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #8 of 29 Old 05-24-2017, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Clyde, even if your battery got already replaced (I hope not with the stock Fiamm battery), here are some battery related tips in the following thread:

Euro cars - best battery replacement

I'm having this Varta/Bosch AGM battery since almost 3 years and I'm more than happy. The cranking power is just amazing.

If you have the datasheets of your dashcam and the voltage regulator, I can have a look to it.
Thanks StefVan, though I have never heard of that battery brand before and don't even know if its sold in North America (or Canada to be more specific). Of course Bosch products are sold here but I've never heard of Varta/Bosch car batteries before.
I am attaching a few .pdf spec sheets on the dash cam and multi-safer switch I purchased for you to see though the .pdf's are quite long with advertisements (I hope you don't mind).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BlackVue DR650S-2CH WIFI Cloud – BlackboxMyCar Canada.pdf (839.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: pdf Multi Safer Hardwiring Kit – BlackboxMyCar Canada.pdf (590.1 KB, 28 views)
post #9 of 29 Old 05-24-2017, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Clyde, that is good to hear that the cars you saw from Japan were outstanding. Yes, there are many owners here that are fanatics when it comes to pampering. However, there are many cases too where sleazy brokers/dealers are abound too.

Hope your concerns with your car is resolved soon.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Thank you Jimmy,
Yes I am sure that there are unscrupulous shops in Japan as well, though my impression from visiting my friends in Tokyo quite often is that people tend to be more honest and respectful of one another there. Anyway, I certainly hope the rumours of the Ferrari shop there having inexperienced people is not true. I know that Ferrari Italy forces the Ferrari Canada dealers to send their mechanical staff to Italy for training and annual refresher courses because there is always so much new technology on these cars. I hope the same is true for the staff in Japan.
Thanks for your good wishes on my car. It would be nice to meet you on a future trip to Japan. I am planning to visit my friends in Tokyo possibly this coming November. They live in Higashi Nakano (they are not car enthusiasts and certainly not Ferrari enthusiasts as they don't even own a car).
Cheers
Clyde
post #10 of 29 Old 05-24-2017, 07:50 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 76
Garage
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm certainly no technical expert but I think StefVan nailed the problem. If the battery doesn't charge while you're driving it, it sounds like you have a problem with your alternator. I can't imagine anything you can put on a car that will make the battery drain as much and as fast as you describe. Best of luck getting this sorted out.
tifosi_ likes this.

Own: 1989 328 GTS
post #11 of 29 Old 05-24-2017, 10:46 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Hi Clyde, many thanks for the documents.

Unfortunately, the dashcam document doesn't indicate any information about current and power consumption. I would ask your shop to get it measured and while they are there, ask them to check also the voltage at the battery when the engine is running (absolute minimum 13.5V - ideally 14.0V).

I checked also the Multi-Safer module and I was a bit surprised to see that the highest voltage cutoff setting is at 12.2V. If your battery is getting as low as 12.2V, you definitely will have startup issues. Just opening the door and the F1 pump will already drain a good amount of current to put the hydraulic pressure back at 50 bars.

Do you really need the dashcam to run constantly when you're parked? It's really necessary to use a trickle charger when your car isn't used for an extended period of time even without a dashcam.

Hope this helps
post #12 of 29 Old 05-24-2017, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Hi Clyde, many thanks for the documents.

Unfortunately, the dashcam document doesn't indicate any information about current and power consumption. I would ask your shop to get it measured and while they are there, ask them to check also the voltage at the battery when the engine is running (absolute minimum 13.5V - ideally 14.0V).

I checked also the Multi-Safer module and I was a bit surprised to see that the highest voltage cutoff setting is at 12.2V. If your battery is getting as low as 12.2V, you definitely will have startup issues. Just opening the door and the F1 pump will already drain a good amount of current to put the hydraulic pressure back at 50 bars.

Do you really need the dashcam to run constantly when you're parked? It's really necessary to use a trickle charger when your car isn't used for an extended period of time even without a dashcam.

Hope this helps

No in fact that's one of the things I was told during this entire process, that I should turn off or disconnect the dashcam when parked in my garage. Failing that I should plug in my trickle charger if parked for more than a few days.
Yea the guys at the dealer installed a new voltage controller to replace the Multi-safer provided with the dashcam from blackboxmycar.ca, one that they say is designed for Ferraris, so I assume it protects the battery at a better voltage level.
Thanks for your comments
Clyde

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #13 of 29 Old 05-24-2017, 12:44 PM
Owner

Garage
Clyde, sorry to go a bit off topic, but feel free to contact me when you visit here. Just drop me a line and we shall hook up if your schedule allows. Now back to battery issues.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #14 of 29 Old 05-24-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Clyde, sorry to go a bit off topic, but feel free to contact me when you visit here. Just drop me a line and we shall hook up if your schedule allows. Now back to battery issues.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Thank you for the offer Jimmy and I'll certainly do that when I have my plans set.
Cheers
Clyde
post #15 of 29 Old 05-24-2017, 08:51 PM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi_ View Post
Thank you for the offer Jimmy and I'll certainly do that when I have my plans set.
Cheers
Clyde

Italian Lover
post #16 of 29 Old 05-25-2017, 01:47 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Clyde, maybe in Canada (as in the USA) is easier to source the Interstate batteries. They have a good AGM MT7-34R battery which fits straight in the F430.

Here's the link of this battery:

Interstate MT7-34R

Best,
post #17 of 29 Old 05-25-2017, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Clyde, maybe in Canada (as in the USA) is easier to source the Interstate batteries. They have a good AGM MT7-34R battery which fits straight in the F430.

Here's the link of this battery:

Interstate MT7-34R

Best,

Thanks again StefVan, that's actually the new battery that they did put in my F430, hope it's a good one.
Clyde

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18 of 29 Old 05-25-2017, 07:05 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi_ View Post
Thanks again StefVan, that's actually the new battery that they did put in my F430, hope it's a good one.
Clyde

The little I can add is use a battery tender. Once I added the tender, I do not have weird issues(i.e.hood pops open when trying to start the car). I also presume you drove the car back from the dealership. If so what changed is the question I'd ask. Luckily for me , here in Northern California, "winter" is not an issue(well I don't take the car out when it is pouring rain as I don't want to clean it) and I drive my car every other week which keeps the gremlins at bay.

2006 Ferrari F430 Coupé,
post #19 of 29 Old 05-25-2017, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by efg2014 View Post
The little I can add is use a battery tender. Once I added the tender, I do not have weird issues(i.e.hood pops open when trying to start the car). I also presume you drove the car back from the dealership. If so what changed is the question I'd ask. Luckily for me , here in Northern California, "winter" is not an issue(well I don't take the car out when it is pouring rain as I don't want to clean it) and I drive my car every other week which keeps the gremlins at bay.

No it's still at the dealer getting sorted
Yes I plan to use my battery tender religiously when it's parked in my garage
Clyde

post #20 of 29 Old 05-25-2017, 01:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 376
Sorry to read this. I can relate. Hopefully they will fix it properly and you will end up having a beautiful car to enjoy for a long time.

May I ask what pulled you towards a V8 coming from a Maranello experience? Was it the convertible top? I also have one of these, but I have an F12 as well, and without wanting to offend anyone, to me, V12 Ferraris are the cars to drive.
tifosi_ likes this.

... racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting... (Steve McQueen / Le Mans)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode