Ferrari Life Ferrari Forum Ferrari Owners Modern V8s: 360, F430 ::

F430 F1 40% clutch WORN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #1

Ferrari Life Posts: 473
Name: Cheng
Default F1 40% clutch WORN

Guys,

Another possible F430 i may get to view (if it doesn't sell before i arrive in Cal) is an '06 with 12K miles. the clutch is 40% WORN on the F1 tranny. is this reasonable for this age and number of miles?

If i learn to drive the F1 well enough to conserve it's life, how many miles do you think i would be good for b4 i need to get clutch changed? I'm budgeting 5-7K every 4 years for major and 1500 per year for maintnance. I know there are many factors such as stop and go traffic and hills. i anticipate planned outings on nice roads in early mornings or late evenings on small country roads or highways...defeintley not going to be a DD. Thanks in advance!

For the regular guys, yes...i have to find backup F430's to look at to make my trip worth while..especially when the seller of car #1 is not being very forthcoming with info about the 6 sp stick car he has for sale...my kind of luck...
chenglo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 195
Name: Dan

Cheng, That's a bit high for the clutch wear. My Scud has 12K miles and 22% wear. The potential issues are obviously more than the clutch. Basically, I'd expect a seller to be direct in answering questions and have no problems with a PPI. If you're coming into LAX, I'll give you a ride in the Scud and hook you up with a great place for a PPI, if you like.

Dan
Current: Scuderia
Past: 330GTC, 512TR
Quantum Mechanic, Quarks repaired, Black Holes refilled.
DanS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 230
Name: Johan

And my Scuderia has 30% wear in about 8700 miles...

Ferrari 430 Scuderia 2008/12
(Ferrari 355 GTS F1 -99)
(Ferrari 355 GTS F1 -98)
johan6504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,388
Name: Mark

There are a ton of factors contributing to clutch wear. I remember Treynor had to have the clutch replaced when he bought his 16M with around 2000 miles. There are some serious idiots buying these cars, that have no clue how to drive them. You never know how the car was driven previously, but a PPI can give a good indication. My suggestion would be to call 3 dealers / shops convenient to your location, or that happen to be selling the car, and find out what the cost would be worst case, to change out the clutch and any other parts that could be needed. Then factor that into your offer. But if you decide to buy a car with a heavily worn clutch, I would make sure it is changed before you take delivery.

2015 458 Speciale' (On the way) 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2

Last edited by markjayw; 04-16-2013 at 07:05 PM.
markjayw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
Name: Chris

I was around 40%-45% wear at 20,000 miles. Its all driving style. If you are a proficient driver with this style of gear box the wear will greatly slow down.

I would use this premature wear as a negotiating point, either a lower price or a free clutch change out.

Really hope you get it man! You've been looking so hard for so long!

F430, 458 Challenge, Ford GT, Gallardo, C63 Black,
PMCCHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,868
Name: Stef

Cheng, difficult to judge the clutch rate but I would rather ask for a full SD3 printout and pay particularly attention to some permanently stored transmission values like the number of clutch overheats.
StefVan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #7

Default great ideas!

Dan,

i may take you up on your offer depending on your schedule and my boss..i mean wife...and spas... A PPI site that experienced owners recommend would be most welcome if either car passes my scrutiny. At this point, i have asked the private seller (6 sp stick F430) if he would not mind me scheduling a tentative PPI with Ferrari of Newport but did not recieve a response yet (unreal...clearly not interested in selling me his car i think).

I'll have to test drive car in question (F1 car from dealership) and examine the SD3 stats as mentioned. This car has the challenge rear so i'm crossing fingers that it will still be there when we land!!! i emailed salesperson about discussion with seller RE clutch change if he wants full asking price and was told that 40% worn is not a big deal. That email was sent last thursday and NO response. I will be calling in AM to follow up and make it known that i am serious. Oh BTW tires are worn and car needs alignment and new tires per service dept recommendations after muiltipoint inspection.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #8

Default stef

Stef,

couldnt seller clear the data on # of overheats?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,518
Name: Terry H Phillips

Cheng- No, even when you put in a new clutch, overheats are in permanent memory and cannot be cleared. Probably helps Ferrari on warranty discussions.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #10

Ferrari Life Posts: 18

The competing forum has a thread about 360/430 owners getting high mileages from their F1 clutches. It's driving technique,and well worth learning about.
Redneck Slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #11

Default slim

Slim,

i'll check that out....are they really competing with us??? wait..im on both! okay...here more than there....feels like home over here!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #12

Default full sd3

Fellas,

got the "full" SD3 from salesperson on F1 F430. no items pertaining to clutch overheats or any overheats but clutch hydraulic failure reads "0" zero. for those in the know, what does this mean from the SD3 printout:

"Gear release failed (A6h)" 2

all other stats with respect to gear engagement and clutch are "0" zero.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
Owner
Elite Member

That's very good news Cheng The Gear release failed is nothing to worry about. This can happen occasionally when shifting at high rpm's. And the value is only 2 times.

I would say that having a total clutch overheat time = 0 seconds on a 06 car is quite exceptionnal.

At least, you know now that the car hasn't been abused. But of course, this doesn't say if the F1 was used in the right way.

What does say the Pump activation counter 22h, Pump time on 23h, System Time on 24h and Leakage E-Diff system values 45h?
Old 04-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #14

Default not on this printout

Stef,

those values are not on the printout i have. PM sent.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:13 AM   #15
Owner
Elite Member

PM and emails answered Hope you'll get some more detailed info from your dealer.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:51 AM   #16

Ferrari Life Posts: 33

Maybe the guy had a steep driveway, used reverse more often than usual, etc. this must be the case based on the printout that you received.
alvav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ferrari Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.