"Slow Down" warning light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,354
Default "Slow Down" warning light

Dear all
Decided to take the 360 to a couple of client meetings today, total round trip of approx 300km. About 20km into the trip I get a warning message in the screen under the RPM needle saying "Slow Down".

At first it started to flash on and off then stayed on permanently. At the same time the "Check Engine" light came on. Shortly afterwards there was a distinct loss of power, and in 6th gear I could not get the engine to rev above 4,000 rpm or approx 70 mph.

Pulled in engine off and on, battery off and on, but to no avail. Engine sounded VERY rough, like it was running off 4 cylinders instead of 8. Started off again, "Slow Down" coming on and off intermittantly and serious lack of power and "Check Engine" on permanently.

Finally I limped to my first meeting. Parked outside and 5 hours later came out with fingers crossed. To my delight, she started up fine and drove fine, full power back, engine sounded right, but a few miles down the road the "Slow Down" came back on along with "Check Engine". Instead of following the advice, I dropped 2 gears and floored it, and the "Slow Down" went off, but "Check Engine" stayed on.

After my second meeting it drove home perfectly, kept it at a good pace (80 - 90 mph) all the way and drove it up and down the gears with the engine reving smoothly and power as per normal. But the "Check Engine " light was still on all the way home.

Once at home, switched battery off for about 10 minutes. Fired her back up and all the warning lights gone. Short spin, everything is fine, no warning lights of any kind.

Can anyone shed any light on what could have possibly caused the problem? Symptoms of a serious impending issue, something I can just hope doesnt happen again, or something in between???

Thanks in advance

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello, 612 Scaglietti
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4
Other Italians: Ducati 916, Ducati 848
Fiorano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,093

1. what color was the slow down light: Amber or red
IF Amber I would expect the issue to resolve with a bit of warmup and running.

IF red it'll need to have a reading

2. how long has the car not been run before this run. Somehow I would be expecting it to have sat for a long period as in Winter etc..... When a car sits, it needs to 'clean out' some of those sensor issues, and that may be the issue.
3. IF it is the same bank [is there a bank reading?] then I would either expect an errant sensor for that bank or such. IF both banks, then I'll defer this to someone with a OBD reader.

However, you said you disconnected the battery which may have wiped out the codes and/or reset the ECUs which could be good/bad in terms of diagnostics.

When resetting the ECUs what I've been lead to believe is
a. turn key to on, but not to ignition for 30-60 seconds
b. turn key to on, starting the engine.
c. let it run for about 5min+ to 20 min. at less than 3,000RPM to get sorted again.

this is my experience on the 456/348 items....perhaps the 360 is a bit different as in newer scenarios.

there are some great members here who know this much better than I, and one that comes to mind is Greg Calo gcalo who was just on today about an hour ago.

not to mention the regulars.

rik

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Granucci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
1. what color was the slow down light: Amber or red
IF Amber I would expect the issue to resolve with a bit of warmup and running.

IF red it'll need to have a reading

2. how long has the car not been run before this run. Somehow I would be expecting it to have sat for a long period as in Winter etc..... When a car sits, it needs to 'clean out' some of those sensor issues, and that may be the issue.
3. IF it is the same bank [is there a bank reading?] then I would either expect an errant sensor for that bank or such. IF both banks, then I'll defer this to someone with a OBD reader.

However, you said you disconnected the battery which may have wiped out the codes and/or reset the ECUs which could be good/bad in terms of diagnostics.

When resetting the ECUs what I've been lead to believe is
a. turn key to on, but not to ignition for 30-60 seconds
b. turn key to on, starting the engine.
c. let it run for about 5min+ to 20 min. at less than 3,000RPM to get sorted again.

this is my experience on the 456/348 items....perhaps the 360 is a bit different as in newer scenarios.

there are some great members here who know this much better than I, and one that comes to mind is Greg Calo gcalo who was just on today about an hour ago.

not to mention the regulars.

rik
Thanks for the advice Rik.
To answer some of your Qs...

1. I think the Slow Down warning was amber - the Check Engine was definitely amber.

2. Yes - you're right about it being laid up. Today was the 360s first run in at least 2 months - probably more.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Thanks for the advice Rik.
To answer some of your Qs...

1. I think the Slow Down warning was amber - the Check Engine was definitely amber.

2. Yes - you're right about it being laid up. Today was the 360s first run in at least 2 months - probably more.

then, in better response to your reply, I would state you have not much to worry about.

next time you leave it laid up, do a nice warm up of about 20 min, before taking above the 3K mark, and then drive it for about what it's worth.

Amber is a warning and while not to be ignored, in this case was just that "caution, I'm not up to your requirements...slow me down till I am".

RED, pull over and sit it out and it might require more investigation.

These cars need to be driven almost regularly. Mine are a min of every week if not daily. They are typically good to go unless a sensor is faulty or wiring or connector.

then again, that is the 80% scenario.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
Owner
Elite Member

Thanks again Rik.
Hopefully the 360's way of saying "you've been ignoring me"....

Old 01-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Owner

'love tickles' can be annoying if not appreciated a bit better after the fact.

Purring is always appreciated.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
Old 01-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 8,937
Name: Ed

probably had unburnt gas built up in one cat. so much so that it shut down that bank. probably not to worry. I wouldn't have unhooked the battery, now the ecu will have to re-learn. Good old italian tune up is in order.

"Half the quotations by famous people you see on the internet are complete bullsh*t." - Abraham Lincoln

Everything you heard is not true

Stop chatting and start living the ferrarilife!
wetpet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
Owner
Elite Member

Time for a service in any case. Which means time for a trip across the Irish sea and a weekend in the UK. The joys of living in a country with only one Ferrari dealer (that I would not go to) Still, worse ways to spend a weekend...

Old 01-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,284
Name: Capo

Yep, fuel is meant to be burnt, particularly today's bad fuel which couldn't out-age room temperature milk. The electronics are bound to go apesh1t if either combustion, or battery power are under optimum. Take care of both by always trickle charging and by leaving little petrol in the tank and by starting and warming up at least once a week.

I am not a Ferrari mechanic by any means but since I've started to diligently respect those simple routines I have never, ever had a problem related to what you describe. But I used to have those exact problems

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
Owner
Elite Member

Thanks Capo. Think I'm guilty of taking my eye off the ball. Forgot to mention that I had forgotten the trickle charge in the same 2 month lay up. So had to charge up the battery a few days ago in advance of today run. Probably didn't help matters either.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 121
Name: Ed

hate to say it but if you had been driving the car twenty minutes before the lights came up I doubt the battery was the issue. 360 alternators are pretty beefy. I suspect a failed cat ecu is more likely, these switch off a bank if over temp is detected. Unfortunately the cat ecu won't log a fault in the motronic, it only shows as a "present" fault if it actually stops working, and this fault is erased as soon as the ignition is switched off, so it might take your dealer a while to find it. The check engine fault will be logged though, and will most likely an "engine bank shut down down due to...." code.
ferraricyprus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 69
Name: John

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraricyprus View Post
hate to say it but if you had been driving the car twenty minutes before the lights came up I doubt the battery was the issue. 360 alternators are pretty beefy. I suspect a failed cat ecu is more likely, these switch off a bank if over temp is detected. Unfortunately the cat ecu won't log a fault in the motronic, it only shows as a "present" fault if it actually stops working, and this fault is erased as soon as the ignition is switched off, so it might take your dealer a while to find it. The check engine fault will be logged though, and will most likely an "engine bank shut down down due to...." code.
I know this is an old post, but, did you ever resolve you issue with the "Slow Down" message?

Thanks,
CAracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #13
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAracer View Post
I know this is an old post, but, did you ever resolve you issue with the "Slow Down" message?

Thanks,
Yes, I did. Turned out to be a faulty elec connection, that was causing a misfire on 1 cylinder. If memory serves, one bank was then shutting down as a safety mode, slow down and check engine lights on as result and drastic power loss.

But all was resolved pretty quickly once my mechanic checked all electrical connections and replaced the faulty one.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #14

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
Name: Nick

which was the connector that was at fault?
nikey22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikey22 View Post
which was the connector that was at fault?
Honestly can't remember which on was the offending connector. Sorry.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #16
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 16

I had this problem when I first got my CS. Crazy getting a new car and it running with 1/2 the banks shut down.

Turns out is not a rare problem and usually the ground connector for one of the two exhaust temp sensors.

So, our Master Ferrari mechanic here re-wired both of mine... problem persisted.

Then they replaced both sensors.... problem persisted.

Then they replaced the ECU. Problem fixed and never recurred.

It's still a running joke with me and our dealer, though... not just anyone has driven a 4cylinder Ferrari.
Strdle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 05:23 AM   #17
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 69
Name: John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strdle View Post
I had this problem when I first got my CS. Crazy getting a new car and it running with 1/2 the banks shut down.

Turns out is not a rare problem and usually the ground connector for one of the two exhaust temp sensors.

So, our Master Ferrari mechanic here re-wired both of mine... problem persisted.

Then they replaced both sensors.... problem persisted.

Then they replaced the ECU. Problem fixed and never recurred.

It's still a running joke with me and our dealer, though... not just anyone has driven a 4cylinder Ferrari.

Just curious, how much are new ECU's?
CAracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAracer View Post
Just curious, how much are new ECU's?
364.00 each on the ricambi USA site (less member discount of 10%). Thermocouples are also redesigned (yellow= old; green=new versions). They are often the culprit and something that might need replacing too @ $309.00 each side. So just under a grand to get this all sorted (older ECUs will almost always fail over time - they start to let water in and BAM!
Spider360Matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ferrari Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.