Perhaps a joke but its not funny - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-14-2017, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto
Ferrari Life Posts: 500
Perhaps a joke but its not funny

I am sure many of you have come across unscrupulous car dealers in the past, those that advertise one thing but offer something completely different. Lately its been getting worse I think. Recently a member of one of the car clubs I belong to purchased a Lamborghini Aventador locally at a reseller without properly having it go through a PPI, and the result was that it was discovered with damage to the front diffuser which was repaired using bondo along with some other notable issues. Now the new owner is forced to spend an additional approx. $10,000 for replacement parts. Now comes an advertisement, also in Ontario, of a dealer listing a 550 Maranello for CDN$1.00. Yes you read that right. I contacted the dealer to ask about the pricing without visiting the dealership in person but of course received no response. I wish there was a way to warn people about these disreputable sellers. Please see the links:
2000 Ferrari 550 MANUAL TRANSMISSION WINTER CLEAROUT SPECIAL for $1 in SAULT STE MARIE | autoTRADER.ca
Jiffy Car Sales - 2000 FERRARI 550 MARANELLO
tifosi_ is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 02-18-2017, 07:03 AM
Owner
 
Bluebottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Exeter, England
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi_ View Post
Now comes an advertisement, also in Ontario, of a dealer listing a 550 Maranello for CDN$1.00. Yes you read that right. I contacted the dealer to ask about the pricing without visiting the dealership in person but of course received no response. I wish there was a way to warn people about these disreputable sellers. Please see the links:
2000 Ferrari 550 MANUAL TRANSMISSION WINTER CLEAROUT SPECIAL for $1 in SAULT STE MARIE | autoTRADER.ca
Jiffy Car Sales - 2000 FERRARI 550 MARANELLO
I hate adverts that don't give prices - why should we have to call to ask the question, or be expected to go to see a car of which we don't know the asking price? Do they think that they can quote different prices to different people? Or is it a case of trying to get you into the shop to see the goods, on the basis that you can then be talked into paying a price you wouldn't have considered in the first place - surely those days have gone?

In my case, it is counter-productive - if there isn't a price, I don't bother to read the advert, let alone inquire about the car or go to see it, so there's not a snowball's chance in hell of a sale.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC (in restoration), 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
Website: http://bluebottleonline.com/
Bluebottle is online now  
post #3 of 9 Old 02-18-2017, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto
Ferrari Life Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
I hate adverts that don't give prices - why should we have to call to ask the question, or be expected to go to see a car of which we don't know the asking price? Do they think that they can quote different prices to different people? Or is it a case of trying to get you into the shop to see the goods, on the basis that you can then be talked into paying a price you wouldn't have considered in the first place - surely those days have gone?



In my case, it is counter-productive - if there isn't a price, I don't bother to read the advert, let alone inquire about the car or go to see it, so there's not a snowball's chance in hell of a sale.


I agree with you, this is obviously one dealers sly attempt to grab attention and get curious potential buyers to call or drop by to have a look at the car so that the salesperson can see their interest and peg a price based on what he/she thinks may be a starting point for the buyer. I just pointed it out because I too find this behavior annoying and it actually makes me feel distrustful of this dealer to begin with.
Clyde


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tifosi_ is online now  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 02-18-2017, 07:54 AM
Owner
 
Bluebottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Exeter, England
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,426
Great minds think alike!

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC (in restoration), 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
Website: http://bluebottleonline.com/
Bluebottle is online now  
post #5 of 9 Old 02-19-2017, 07:08 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Ferrari Life Posts: 19
The advertisement is gone but I know the car that you're speaking of. It was actually on AutoTrader for almost a year. I think the price drop to $1 on AT website was something to do with it either being sold or them trying to remove it off of their site.

It's also the same car from this video:

nin10do is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 02-20-2017, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto
Ferrari Life Posts: 500
Perhaps a joke but its not funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by nin10do View Post
The advertisement is gone but I know the car that you're speaking of. It was actually on AutoTrader for almost a year. I think the price drop to $1 on AT website was something to do with it either being sold or them trying to remove it off of their site.



It's also the same car from this video:



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvYAMNc6shs


Yes the original Ad for that 550 is now gone from AutoTRADER.ca but it's now been replaced with an Ad from the same dealer for a 456 at a price of, you guessed it, $1.00. This obviously a strategy that this dealer somehow uses to gain interest in their cars though I would question its effectiveness. By the way I mentioned the previous Ad to a driving group which I belong to and a few people responded to the Ad, one saying he's willing to purchase the 550 for $1.00 Advertised, another saying they are willing to pay up to $10.00, and of course the dealer never responded.
Interesting that that is the video of the 550, I have seen that video before. Not that it changes my opinion of dealer.

http://m.autotrader.ca/a/5_26796716?...srt=3&showVs=1


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tifosi_ is online now  
post #7 of 9 Old 02-20-2017, 03:24 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Ferrari Life Posts: 19
The 550 must have sold as it's not on their website anymore either.

It may have been on consignment as well and the owner could have taken it back.
nin10do is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 02-21-2017, 07:26 AM
 
efg2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Ferrari Life Posts: 333
I woudn't even bother

If I see an add which says $1 buys a car, let's not even talk Ferrari I think

a: Bad marketing gimmick
b: Typo

I guess the $1 did work because some people did contact the dealer. If someone thinks they can get a Ferrari for a $1, I have an Uncle in Nigeria who wants to put 50,000,000 US dollars into your account.

2006 Ferrari F430 Coupé,
efg2014 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 02-21-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto
Ferrari Life Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by efg2014 View Post
If I see an add which says $1 buys a car, let's not even talk Ferrari I think

a: Bad marketing gimmick
b: Typo

I guess the $1 did work because some people did contact the dealer. If someone thinks they can get a Ferrari for a $1, I have an Uncle in Nigeria who wants to put 50,000,000 US dollars into your account.
tifosi_ is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale