550 wsr? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-11-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 500
550 wsr?

RM Sotheby's will be offering this beautiful 2000 550 which they refer to as the WSR at their upcoming Paris Auction on Feb.8. I have never heard of this version before but according to the listing Ferrari produced only 33 examples of this WSR edition to celebrate the model's achievement of being the world's first production car to cover 100 kms at 304 kph, 100 miles at 306.3 kph, and 296 kms in 1 hour. I suppose that this was in the Guiness World Book of records at the time but cannot verify the fact. The model differences between the regular 550 were that it was fitted with the Fiorano Handling Pack, carbon bucket seats with Daytona stitching and race harnesses (so this means that the car was probably not offered in North America where race harnesses are not legal for a road car) a leather trimmed roll cage, suede covered steering wheel, a sport exhaust, enamel wing panels, and Corsa brake calipers (all of which were available as regular options anyway, at least for European models). I supposed that there is a plaque somewhere in the interior to categorize it as a WSR model for which they are asking the princely sum of 230,000 to 250,000 British Pounds (or approximately US$279,136.38 to US$303,409.10 based on today's exchange rates).
Clyde
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-11-2017, 08:27 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi_ View Post
RM Sotheby's will be offering this beautiful 2000 550 which they refer to as the WSR at their upcoming Paris Auction on Feb.8. I have never heard of this version before but according to the listing Ferrari produced only 33 examples of this WSR edition to celebrate the model's achievement of being the world's first production car to cover 100 kms at 304 kph, 100 miles at 306.3 kph, and 296 kms in 1 hour. I suppose that this was in the Guiness World Book of records at the time but cannot verify the fact. The model differences between the regular 550 were that it was fitted with the Fiorano Handling Pack, carbon bucket seats with Daytona stitching and race harnesses (so this means that the car was probably not offered in North America where race harnesses are not legal for a road car) a leather trimmed roll cage, suede covered steering wheel, a sport exhaust, enamel wing panels, and Corsa brake calipers (all of which were available as regular options anyway, at least for European models).
Clyde
Ciao Clyde,
yes waht you told about the 550 WSR is correct , only 33 cars.... Is a special version..

Ferrari, Ferrari 550 WSR The 1998 Ferrari 550 WSR

Fabio

Fiammenghi Engineering
High Performance Exhaust Systems and Car Parts
Contact info: info@fiammenghiengineering.it
post #3 of 11 Old 01-11-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiammenghi Engineering View Post
Ciao Clyde,
yes waht you told about the 550 WSR is correct , only 33 cars.... Is a special version..

Ferrari, Ferrari 550 WSR The 1998 Ferrari 550 WSR

Fabio
Fabio thank you for confirming the fact about the 550 WSR and for providing the link. Very interesting. So this is a very special car, and it means the pricing is justified. Hopefully it will find a buyer who will enjoy to drive it and not let it just sit in the garage.
Clyde

post #4 of 11 Old 01-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,690
Clyde- It is the Ferrari equivalent of a Corvette Pace Car, but they bring good money. There were US versions, I believe, with the harness and roll cage deleted. Just about everything on the WSRs except for the plaque was available as an option.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-12-2017, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Owner

That's interesting Terrry. I am sure they brought good money originally and probably over time they will still bring good money because they will be perceived as very rare (even though they don't really offer more than a well optioned 550).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 Old 01-13-2017, 02:14 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
There is another WSR but in Giallo/Yellow on AutoScout in Europe right now as well.

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/f...1de?cldtidx=13
post #7 of 11 Old 01-13-2017, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nin10do View Post
There is another WSR but in Giallo/Yellow on AutoScout in Europe right now as well.

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/f...1de?cldtidx=13

That's quite surprising that two of them out of a total of 33 would be for sale at the same time.

post #8 of 11 Old 01-13-2017, 03:43 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
That's quite surprising that two of them out of a total of 33 would be for sale at the same time.

Clyde,
some months ago in Italy there was another red 550 WSR on selling ....

Fiammenghi Engineering
post #9 of 11 Old 01-13-2017, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Fabio, I wonder if this means that the collectors have decided its the right time to cash out on these models and get something else?

post #10 of 11 Old 01-13-2017, 03:53 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Fabio, I wonder if this means that the collectors have decided its the right time to cash out on these models and get something else?

why not ... ..... at the end those cars are at the maximum of their value during years ....

Fiammenghi Engineering
post #11 of 11 Old 01-13-2017, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiammenghi Engineering View Post
why not ... ..... at the end those cars are at the maximum of their value during years ....
True

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode