should I swap my TdF blu 575M F1 for a new California T? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 06-23-2016, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 934
Garage
should I swap my TdF blu 575M F1 for a new California T?

Thinking our loud: if I were to buy any new Ferrari it would be the new California T w/ handling package. So I asked myself: would I swap my 2004 TdF blu/cuoio 575M F1, FHP, 19" composite wheels, shields, daytona chairs, leather rear shelf and liner, 12,345 miles, even up for a new California T with the recently-announced handling package? What say you?

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-23-2016, 09:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
Thinking our loud: if I were to buy any new Ferrari it would be the new California T w/ handling package. So I asked myself: would I swap my 2004 TdF blu/cuoio 575M F1, FHP, 19" composite wheels, shields, daytona chairs, leather rear shelf and liner, 12,345 miles, even up for a new California T with the recently-announced handling package? What say you?
Hello Seth,

I don't need to think along ....No, never ...

Fabio

PRESENT: 575 F1 HGTC ROSSO CORSA 2004' - MB CLS 350 CGI 2007'
PAST: 550 ROSSO CORSA 1998' - MB CLK 240 2002'
post #3 of 21 Old 06-24-2016, 01:56 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,161
Hard to say Seth, they're both so very different.
And as I've stated in other posts, initially I didn't want to like the Cali. But then spent an afternoon tooling around the countryside in one and came away thinking it is a fantastic cruiser.
I've never driven a 575, but have tried several different 550s. They were nice, but seemed big and heavy to me. They didn't "speak" to me the way other models have.

I suppose in the end, if I were faced with that choice, the decision would come down to whether I wanted a coupe or convertible.
If I could only have one, I'd probably opt for the ragtop.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.

post #4 of 21 Old 06-24-2016, 01:09 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 21
Quote:
I see three on car guru: $129K, $169K and $179k. If you can trade even up I would in a heart beat. A new California T will easily be $250K. The California T has new technology. It is an absolute blast to drive. The carbon steering wheel, led lights, paddle shifting, carbon ceramic breaks, turbo... It is so fast. I have a 2015 and love it. I do have the magnaride which I almost never use. I really quest the value of HS. Is it a track car or a car to drive as much as possible on the roads. I drive mine every day I can. It has not been on a track yet. Maybe everyone else that owns a Ferrari is a professional driver and can tell the 7 percent stiffer springs. I can't. I can tell the difference when the engine is warmed up and the breaks are warmed up. Super fun to drive.

The California T is super fun to drive. My car is TDF as well.
post #5 of 21 Old 06-24-2016, 01:12 PM

Tdf
Attached Images

post #6 of 21 Old 06-25-2016, 02:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,439
It depends what you want, Seth: probably the best all round usable car in the current Ferrari range, just as suitable for fun driving (including top-down) as for regular daily use in all traffic / weather conditions, or a classic of timeless design which has its limitations when considered as other than a high-days-and-holidays car. I am not saying that a 575 could not be used as an only car (Terry does, I believe), but a Cali would do that job a lot better due to its modern technology. And you can take the roof off. And you can accommodate more than just 2 people on an occasional basis.

There is, of course, depreciation to consider if you opt for the Cali.

If the mileage you are intending to do with this car is no different from what you do presently in your 575, then I would suggest you stick with it. If, however, you are planning to do a lot more Ferrari miles in future, the maybe you should go with the Cali.

One final thought. When 550 prices started to rise, I made a conscious decision that when 550 prices had risen to the level of a good secondhand Cali, I would do a straight swap. They have, but I still have my 550

There is one other option: buy a Cali and keep the 575 as well. I think this is the best option.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #7 of 21 Old 06-25-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
It depends what you want, Seth: probably the best all round usable car in the current Ferrari range, just as suitable for fun driving (including top-down) as for regular daily use in all traffic / weather conditions, or a classic of timeless design which has its limitations when considered as other than a high-days-and-holidays car. I am not saying that a 575 could not be used as an only car (Terry does, I believe), but a Cali would do that job a lot better due to its modern technology. And you can take the roof off. And you can accommodate more than just 2 people on an occasional basis.

If the mileage you are intending to do with this car is no different from what you do presently in your 575, then I would suggest you stick with it. If, however, you are planning to do a lot more Ferrari miles in future, the maybe you should go with the Cali.

One final thought. When 550 prices started to rise, I made a conscious decision that when 550 prices had risen to the level of a good secondhand Cali, I would do a straight swap. They have, but I still have my 550

There is one other option: buy a Cali and keep the 575 as well. I think this is the best option.
If one Ferrari is good, two must be better. I just have no place to store an extra car.
post #8 of 21 Old 06-26-2016, 12:35 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2go View Post
If one Ferrari is good, two must be better. I just have no place to store an extra car.
Challenge your limitations, push your boundaries. Build more garages. Or move house (which is what I am doing).

Best wishes, John
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #9 of 21 Old 06-26-2016, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:

Friends, I posed the question simply because at last autumn's Concours d'Elegance at the Saratoga Automobile Museum Ferrari dealer Wide World of Cars displayed their Ferraris and Maseratis and I had the opportunity to drive a new Cali T in my colors! - blu TdF and cuoio - and was enormously impressed with the car. It certainly has all the performance and handling for which any sane person could really wish, short of tracking the car. And with the revisions to the ugly rear deck of the original it is quite handsome. At the time I said to myself if I were going to buy any new Ferrari this would be the car.

In point of fact, when in 2009 I bought my 575M it was only after many months of searching for the right car and I said to myself, 'this one's for life'. And still feel thus since my eye tells me that, putting aside questions of its actual driving performance which enthralls me, there has been no Ferrari built since the 365GTB4 Daytona, of which IMHO all Maranellos are the natural heirs, that can match their flawless and breath-taking design.

OTOH, in 1978 when I bought my 365GTC speciale I was fairly often asked if I would sell it. I recall saying - and believing - at the time that it would be for sale by the executors of my estate and I fervently hoped that this would not occur for many, many decades. Well the time did come before that, in 2007, when David Gooding's Pebble Beach auction sold it for a price that after paying the auction seller's commission and capital gains taxes, the net was sufficient to permit me to buy my 575M, an F355 berlinetta, a multiple concours-winning 412GT 5-speed, a Maserati Spyder and the Cadillac STS-V.

Bottom line: for open-air driving I've got a truly lovely and lively Maserati Spyder and at 85 years probably don't need to change a thing, automobile-speaking!

P.S. is anyone in U.K. going to the F.O.C. Event July 8-9 at Stapleford Park? My wife Judith and I are inscribed.

Seth
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

Last edited by intrepid; 06-26-2016 at 04:30 AM.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-27-2016, 08:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 523
Quote:
You must be kidding Seth??!! Absolutely not!!!
Clyde
post #11 of 21 Old 06-27-2016, 08:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 523
Quote:
Friends, I posed the question simply because at last autumn's Concours d'Elegance at the Saratoga Automobile Museum Ferrari dealer Wide World of Cars displayed their Ferraris and Maseratis and I had the opportunity to drive a new Cali T in my colors! - blu TdF and cuoio - and was enormously impressed with the car. It certainly has all the performance and handling for which any sane person could really wish, short of tracking the car. And with the revisions to the ugly rear deck of the original it is quite handsome. At the time I said to myself if I were going to buy any new Ferrari this would be the car.

In point of fact, when in 2009 I bought my 575M it was only after many months of searching for the right car and I said to myself, 'this one's for life'. And still feel thus since my eye tells me that, putting aside questions of its actual driving performance which enthralls me, there has been no Ferrari built since the 365GTB4 Daytona, of which IMHO all Maranellos are the natural heirs, that can match their flawless and breath-taking design.

OTOH, in 1978 when I bought my 365GTC speciale I was fairly often asked if I would sell it. I recall saying - and believing - at the time that it would be for sale by the executors of my estate and I fervently hoped that this would not occur for many, many decades. Well the time did come before that, in 2007, when David Gooding's Pebble Beach auction sold it for a price that after paying the auction seller's commission and capital gains taxes, the net was sufficient to permit me to buy my 575M, an F355 berlinetta, a multiple concours-winning 412GT 5-speed, a Maserati Spyder and the Cadillac STS-V.

Bottom line: for open-air driving I've got a truly lovely and lively Maserati Spyder and at 85 years probably don't need to change a thing, automobile-speaking!

P.S. is anyone in U.K. going to the F.O.C. Event July 8-9 at Stapleford Park? My wife Judith and I are inscribed.
That make more sense Seth. I posted my last message before reading your last post, so now I understand your thought process which makes more sense to me.
Clyde
post #12 of 21 Old 06-27-2016, 11:08 AM
Owner

Quote:
Unfortunately, I shall not be at the FOC meet at Stapleford Park. Will you by any chance be in the vicinity of this event https://classicsatthecastle.co.uk/ the following weekend? I and the Dino shall be there as part of a 30-Ferrari display.

Best wishes, John
post #13 of 21 Old 06-27-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Unfortunately, I shall not be at the FOC meet at Stapleford Park. Will you by any chance be in the vicinity of this event https://classicsatthecastle.co.uk/ the following weekend? I and the Dino shall be there as part of a 30-Ferrari display.
aie, John! I would we could. On the 17th July Judith and I will be boarding Queen Mary 2 for the week-long trans-Atlantic crossing to New York. How long is the drive from Stapleford - in Leicestershire - to Exeter? I think we're due in London on the 13th.

Seth

post #14 of 21 Old 06-27-2016, 06:42 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Value is the key word in making this choice. The new one will rapidly drop in value over a period of time. inside a ten year period it might and i say might go under 100K. your 575M is in the position to go up in value. I would wait two years let the california come down abit. And let yours go up abit. this way you walk away ahead in the cash, with a newer smaller more technical car.

BTW the 575 will eat it for lunch
post #15 of 21 Old 06-28-2016, 02:53 AM
Owner

Quote:
aie, John! I would we could. On the 17th July Judith and I will be boarding Queen Mary 2 for the week-long trans-Atlantic crossing to New York. How long is the drive from Stapleford - in Leicestershire - to Exeter? I think we're due in London on the 13th.
I am guessing about 4 hours, Seth.

Best wishes, John
post #16 of 21 Old 06-28-2016, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
I am guessing about 4 hours, Seth.
........and in a Maranello, John! ;-)

Seth

post #17 of 21 Old 06-28-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferris bueller 250 gto View Post
Value is the key word in making this choice. The new one will rapidly drop in value over a period of time. inside a ten year period it might and i say might go under 100K. your 575M is in the position to go up in value. I would wait two years let the california come down abit. And let yours go up abit. this way you walk away ahead in the cash, with a newer smaller more technical car.

BTW the 575 will eat it for lunch
I guess there is always two sides of the coin. You are looking at an investment. I'm looking at a toy that is fun to drive. The 575 eat the California T for lunch? Explain. On paper, it wont bet it 0 to 60. I'm not saying anything bad about the 575M. I'm saying the California is a blast to drive, it's fast, and handles fantastic. I personally wanted new technology. The cockpit is awesome.

I have heard many people debt "drive" or "invest". To me a car is not an investment and never will be.
Attached Images

post #18 of 21 Old 06-28-2016, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by good2go View Post
I guess there is always two sides of the coin. You are looking at an investment. I'm looking at a toy that is fun to drive. The 575 eat the California T for lunch? Explain. On paper, it wont bet it 0 to 60. I'm not saying anything bad about the 575M. I'm saying the California is a blast to drive, it's fast, and handles fantastic. I personally wanted new technology. The cockpit is awesome.

I have heard many people debt "drive" or "invest". To me a car is not an investment and never will be.
Of course you're correct, good2go; the 575M has the legsof the California T only in terminal speed, a bit over 200mph to 195 but when has anyone on the site ever driven that fast? California about half a second quicker to 100km/hr. A marvelous car. But it ain't a Ferrari twelve and the Maranellos are lusciously beautiful.

Seth

post #19 of 21 Old 06-28-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Of course you're correct, good2go; the 575M has the legsof the California T only in terminal speed, a bit over 200mph to 195 but when has anyone on the site ever driven that fast? California about half a second quicker to 100km/hr. A marvelous car. But it ain't a Ferrari twelve and the Maranellos are lusciously beautiful.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally love the California T look, I posted the cockpit because it looks awesome.

If you love your 575 stay with it. You asked if you should swap even up. I said YES! I love the California T and The California T ($250K+) cost drastically more than the 575M (I see price from $129K to $179K). If I could have a new California T for a 575M, I would.... But in the eyes of this beholder the California T is beautiful.
post #20 of 21 Old 06-28-2016, 06:51 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
I think someone has a tough choice to make they are both excellent cars. I personally think that the california series is the closest vehicle Ferrari has ever made that can easily be thought of as a daily driver. But then again we have the FF and even the GTC4 Lusso coming out that are designed to be somewhat of a daily driver. I really really love the shape of the 575M but my heart would go out to the California T.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode