Ferrari Life Forum banner

F575 sport exhaust manifolds

52K views 409 replies 31 participants last post by  550_Maranello 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello at all guys,
i think it is the time that I explain my project, that is arrived almost at the end, i'm working since august, I work on this project during my less free time ....
Who of you have seen the original precats of 575 know how they are bad designed ....
It was a long time that i would to do a manage the sound of maranello's in order to have a sound more acute, more clear but in same time to not have problem it with the check engine lamp and with the pollution.
I have designed for this engine family an exhaust system like the 599 GTO and the last series of V12 F , in detail one manifold 6-1 plus one big 200 cps metallic catalyzer of high quality.
I have designed also the version without catalyzer and without secondary air pipes.
I have developed a 3d model of the engine and part of chassis by myself in order to do a preliminary study before exhaust removal from the car, i have replicated exactly the secondary air pipes and flanges in order to fit to the original system of the car.
V clamp and gasket are made by my design, i did to do a discrete number of pieces, the gaskets was from a manufacturer for Ferrari and other sport car ...
On the car are not necessary any cutting, or other modification, in every time is possible to be back at the original.
The original exhaust of 575 (2 precats + 1 big cat) = 17.2 Kg
my exhaust (4.4 manifold + 3.6 cat + 1.5 pipe) = 9.8 Kg. this for each side of the V12.Tomorrow i pick up the two manifolds from the cleaning shop, and within the end of the year i will finish all.
As soon as possible will post the end of project and a video about the new sound, and obviously the driving impressions ...
I have designed and built also the jigs in order to can built every piece without the car, it was a big work and difficult to find a space for the two big cat ... ...
My Ferrari dealer think is a good improvement of this engine.
From the the new year i will be ready to produce this manifolds, if someone will be interested.
I have sold one manifold without cat at one my friend that have a 550 and him go on track, i will deliver between some weeks, when he seen ... was enthusiast!
I need to thank cribbj for the help about the chassis dimensions ....
I would have thousand things to write .... If you have questions i'm here.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Fabio- Very nice. The only other set of manifolds on the market have to be bought with a full exhaust system and are very expensive (~$15k).

#3 ·
Terry,
the only set of manifold that i know is made by italian supersprint but they are 3-1 + 3-1 and not have all air secondary pipes ....
My pipes have thickness of 1.2 mm.
My system will cost about half ....
If the results will be nice, i will do also a titanium version.

#4 ·
Fabio- Affirmative, that is the one I was thinking about. Yours looks far superior. Will you have heat shields or will the OEM shields work?

Titanium will be interesting, but stainless may be superior in that application.

#5 ·
Terry,
before start my project i seen their manifolds but for me the price is too high, i don't like the design and the quality of construction ....
The original shields remain in place, 575 have a good shields over the pre-cats, i have designed one shield to install under the first two pipes and over the engine support in order to repair the rubber support.
The catalyzer will be covered by ceramic wool (2 mm thk) and all covered by embossed alluminium, i have buy this material in Torino from a company that working also for F ....
I did a bunch of drawings for this exhaust and for the machining i went from a specialized company with CAM machines ...
Catalyzer have area over 20% and volume 45% of the sum
of the two pre-cats originals, that are 300 cps, my catalyzer supplier told me that i not will have problem with lamba or check engine lamp, that is one of my most objective.

Yes Titanium will be interesting, but also expensive,i think that stainless steelis a good choice.
The six cones that are on the union point are made by my self with plastic deformation of round pipe ..... i have designed a proper equipment....
also for cut the curves i have designed a proper equipment....

#7 ·
Bill,
thanks.
follow the race version without secondary air pipe and without cat.
On second picture the jig for welding of air pipe and flange spacers.
The single flanges are completely machined with hole from oval (head side), to round (pipe side).

Attachments

#8 ·
Absolutely gorgeous looks, Fabio ! Congratulations for bringing a long project to a great end ! I'm sure that many owners will have a profound look at your product. Can't wait to hear and see it in real (Video) !

#9 ·
Hi 212, thanks ... I have also some work to finish, but as soon as possible i will post a video ....

This morning i picked up from the galvanic treatment the two manifolds, i did
pickling ( to remove welding residues) plus micro peening and final passivation for corrosion inhibition, the company that did those treatments work also for F1 parts.

The results are on following pictures ....

I like them!

Attachments

#10 ·
This is a jig for curves cutting that i have invented by myself, i had buy mandrel curves type and i lock the curve under cutting by means of expansion elastic mandrel.
On the rotating part i have done angular reference notches, the elastic mandrel is positioned by center pins doing the center of the curve perfectly on the pivoting axis.

Attachments

#11 ·
Detail of head flanges ....
And difference between old and new cat.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
HAHAHA 212, you was near to close some month ago for a maranello .... but your
Scud is great! like your other two F ....

Wait till you hear the sound .... ahahah:thumbsup:

p.s. : next sunday we will go to "La Cesarina" in Bologna ... you remember something... ?

#15 ·
Hi Clyde,
hahaha ... now is too late .... They have not wanted me 14 years ago for the thesis .....
Thanks you are kindly ....
Tomorrow I will work on catalyzer ....
I have my 575 on my workshop since first october and i asked to the mechanic of my Official Dealer ferrari to help me for dismantling, when i will be ready, he he will go to me for help, i like this because in this way him saw how i work, and if he sell for me some pieces in this way him know how do.

#17 ·
Fabio- Very nice tool and the headers came out beautufully. May have to think about a set of those. I assume all the connectors for the original cat sensors hook up to your new cats?

#18 ·
Terry,
yes, all the original sensors will hook up to the new cats without cable modifications.
You can noted that i have replicate exactly the secondary air system, with open front hood the layout is exactly like the original and doing like the original.
The terminations of the two straight pipes after the cats, are fit for the coupling with the original central muffler (or central straight pipes).

#20 ·
Dave,
I worked on 575, but they can fit also for 550, the engine is the same F133, the only differences are following:
- different fitting for secondary air
- two lamda instead of four.
I would to produce three versions of manifolds:
1) for 550 with secondary air
2) for 575 with secondary air
3) for 550&575 without secondary air (race version)
To fit with the manifold I would to produce followings:
4) catalyzer (with lamba fittings)
5) pipe without cat for 550 (without lamba fittings)
6) pipe without cat for 575 (with lamba fittings)
7) after cat pipes for 550 (with lamba fittings)
8) after cat pipes for 575 (without lamba fittings)
The items 5-6 and 7-8 can be unified, by installing lambda fittings on all types and put plug where necessary.
Now i have prepared the pieces for three set of manifolds (prototypes) in AISI 304, i had difficult to find the commercial curves with little radius, thin thikness and good quality.
I have found one company in UK that are specialized on exhaust for formula 1, the bended everything dimensions and materials but the price start from 5-6 times and over ....
I'm considering the titanium ...
I can produce in every material,the only problem is to find the curves.

#22 ·
Hi Fabio,

When I was making headers for my Formula "B" car I used Burns stainless as a source.

Find Custom Exhaust, Header Collectors, Race Mufflers & More | Burns Stainless

I used 321 for the primaries and 304 for the secondaries as heat is not so much a problem in the secondaries and 321 was really expensive.

I had a 355 with 321 SS headers which I sold to a friend here in California. He is now having trouble with the smog test. Although it passes emissions the headers are not certified. This was the first I've heard of that as that car passed every two years since 1999.

Keep up the good work,

Ciao

#23 ·
Hi Fabio,

When I was making headers for my Formula "B" car I used Burns stainless as a source.

Find Custom Exhaust, Header Collectors, Race Mufflers & More | Burns Stainless

I used 321 for the primaries and 304 for the secondaries as heat is not so much a problem in the secondaries and 321 was really expensive.

I had a 355 with 321 SS headers which I sold to a friend here in California. He is now having trouble with the smog test. Although it passes emissions the headers are not certified. This was the first I've heard of that as that car passed every two years since 1999.

Keep up the good work,

Ciao

Hi Dave,
I think for a street the 304 is ok, but for race not .... For the smog test is another thing ....
In Italy my exhaust probably will pass the test because is difficult to know by the normal technicians, and if the big cat worg good, is all ok.
In the countries where at the test they control exactly every item..... ahaha is so hard! But in this case also the back muffler not OEM are not legal, or not?
I think all custom exhaust are not certified ....

#25 ·
Beautiful work Fabio, and I'm very happy to have helped you in a small way with it.

I agree with Dave's approach on the 321 vs 304 for the primaries & secondaries. I think it would be a very good idea to make the flanges and primary pipes in 321, as we all know this is where the most stress, corrosion, and failures will occur.

Looking forward to following your progress, hearing how they sound, and perhaps seeing dynomometer results?

#26 ·
Hi Guys,
today i had the fire time .... i have installed for first time the manifolds on the car i had little bit worry but .... is all ok !!!!
The manifolds pass exactly between the heads and the chassis, when they are in position the clearance aroutn them is good
, on right side the pipe is over the shield of AC compressor, and alsothe clearance with the engine support are so good, perhaps is no necessary other shields.
After that i did the left cat, to built the cone between flange and cat is very diffcult, the cone is not ortogonal but a strange solid that i have draw by 3d cad and with cad i have obtained the developed .... I have buy a roller bending machine for cones, but after roller bending is necessary manual adjustment .....
On following pictures you can see what i explained
I'm satisfied !!

Attachments

#27 ·
Fabio- Those look very nice. Cannot wait to hear how they sound. For those who did not see the other post, here is what the 599 GTO forward exhaust system looks like. Fabio's is very similar except Ferrari incorporated the cats into the header exit.

Attachments

#28 ·
Yes Terry,
my ispiration is from 599 GTO, i prefer to not incorporate the cat on the manifold in order to do the not cat version in easy way.
I hope my sound will be close to the 599 GTO ....

#30 ·
Hi Dave,
thanks....
I have thinked, i have two bid of two italians company for a ceramic coating, is expensive (min 1000 euros+VAT).
They explained that the best radiaton reducing, about 20/30%, is if there is a big flow of air,in stationary conditions the effect is 0.
Inside the engine compartment there is air flow but i think not so big and for me the price is not appropriate to the effect, also if little effect will do.
These are thoughts ... it would be a test on the car with thermometer for have a sure response.

#31 ·
Fabio- I agree, a ceramic coating is probably not necessary. If someone wants to do that, they could do it themselves. Personally, I would prefer not to have it.

#32 ·
Terry,
the guy that i sold one set of manifolds without catalyzer for his 550 (that i will complete after my test) would to paint them with ceramic paint .... for me is not a good idea but he do by himself ....

#34 ·
Hi Fabio,
Now I understand how you plan to replicate the sound of a 599 GTO, its a lot more involved than just the exhausts and straight pipes but involves re-designing the 550/575 headers. I wish you success with your build and hope that you will be selling versions of it afterwards, it sounds great!
Clyde

#35 ·
Muftah,
thanks, it was a bigot work also of cad design ..

Clyde,
if my deductions are correct.... my is not only a dream ... but real....
In a follow picture the 575 pre-cats, those are all you want but not good design!
Not one conduct is equal to the other .....
The frequency generated from the six cylinders add up with different lags and the result is a spectre where is not predominant the combustion order .....
With a manifold 6-1 the results would be a spectre with predominant combustion order ...
I hope when i will turn the key ... my 575 not belies me!!!

Attachments

#39 ·
Hi guys,
listen following video (F1-sound Kressieg) if there no written 599, the sound can be exchange for a 575 .....
When i written "all the family of V12 before 599 GTO" have same base sound i intended this ....

With this i not want tell that is bad, only how is ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNpT3ph-kY0

#48 ·
Hello,
this morning i have completed the right catalyzer, i'm satisfied, the clearance between engine and chassis is good.:thumbsup:
As you can see on the drawing of my first post, i have prefered to not weld the pipe (item 5) with the catalyzer (item 3), is a more expensive solution but in this way when it will be necessary to replace the clutch will be sufficient remove only the two pipes and the two catalyzer can remain in place.
This evening and tomorrow i will complete the left catalyzer and the two pipes, next monday i will bring to the welder and approx on 18-19 will be ready.
Last work is to cover the two catalyzer with 2 mm thick ceramic fibre and do an external cover with embossed aluminium, in order to maintain hot the cats and to shield the around things.
Those material are the same used by the big brands cars ....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.