Ferrari Life Forum banner

NEED HELP: 1st Ferrari. More collectible '78 308 GTS or '85 GTSI QV

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Bluebottle 
#1 ·
Please help me out guys this is the first time I have bought a Ferrari and as excited as I am I'm actually buying it as a gift for my father, however I prefer the stylings of the 1985 QV GTSI but is the 1978 GTS more collectible? Out of the two which will be more desirable in the long haul from a collectors standpoint.

Thank you so much

Jeff

#2 ·
Jeff, welcome to FL first. Great deed you are undertaking.

Desirability is rather subjective and difficult to say. You might take into considerations like production numbers, color schemes, and other factors to decide. If your preference is the QV, then I would be more inclined to that.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

#4 ·
308 / 328

The 85 QV, is the better car, dont worry about the collectability, what does that really matter, Ferraris are built to be driven. With that being said, in many cases, the 308 s are being priced above the 328s ,, so you might want to consider a 328, it a far better car in my estimation. In any event, this is a great forum to get all the info you need regarding anything Ferrari.

#5 ·
78s will rust, and 85s are much more rust resistant. Had to replace both doorskins on my 78 GTS. If you want a collectible 308, a fiberglass or Euro dry sump coupe are probably your best bet. If you want a 308 that will be very reliable, not rust, not depreciate, and your father will love it, the 85 QV is a good choice.

#6 ·
Agree Taz from 83 I believe they were galvanized for rust prevention and the QV has many improvements, reliability also something to consider, QV in my opinion and recommended by many, it stays a 308 GTS if that is what he wants.

glad to see some of the guys again on this thread.

#7 ·

My friend out here in the South Bay has an 85 QV, restored to better than it came from the factory, really nice multi platinum winning car, he had to straighten out the car running to hot, he finally got it sorted but thats it mechanically , other than regular maintenance .You got to love that styling, it has always conjured up that Ferrari esk emotion inside me, that very few cars do, I fell in love with the 308 the first time I ever saw it. Good luck with your search, I hope you find the perfect car at a reasonable price

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.