Ferrari 360 Modena Questions - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Ferrari 360 Modena Questions

Hello,

I will be in the market to purchase my first Ferrari soon. I've decided on the 360 based on my budget and lack of experience with Ferrari, and so I can have enough left-over money for the servicing/maintaining. I have a few questions:

1) I have 40+ years of professionally working on cars, so I will be doing the servicing myself since the 360 has no warranty. What are the most common/most expensive repairs/services for the 360? Where would I be able to buy parts for it (e.g clutch)?

2) What should I look for? There are $50K 360s w/ 60K+ miles, and 70K+ ones with under 20K. Is the extra 20K really worth it for the lower mileage, if I'm doing the work myself? Or is the lower mileage more attractive to collectors?

3) F1 vs 3 Pedal..I've driven 3 pedal cars all my life, but the F1 system really attracts me. Why does the F1 clutch last much less than the 3 pedal clutch (I assumed the computer operated shifting would be less prone to clutch slipping than 3 pedal)?

4) Lastly, what is the ideal year range to look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvice View Post
Hello,

I will be in the market to purchase my first Ferrari soon. I've decided on the 360 based on my budget and lack of experience with Ferrari, and so I can have enough left-over money for the servicing/maintaining. I have a few questions:

1) I have 40+ years of professionally working on cars, so I will be doing the servicing myself since the 360 has no warranty. What are the most common/most expensive repairs/services for the 360? Where would I be able to buy parts for it (e.g clutch)?

2) What should I look for? There are $50K 360s w/ 60K+ miles, and 70K+ ones with under 20K. Is the extra 20K really worth it for the lower mileage, if I'm doing the work myself? Or is the lower mileage more attractive to collectors?

3) F1 vs 3 Pedal..I've driven 3 pedal cars all my life, but the F1 system really attracts me. Why does the F1 clutch last much less than the 3 pedal clutch (I assumed the computer operated shifting would be less prone to clutch slipping than 3 pedal)?

4) Lastly, what is the ideal year range to look for?
Suggest you take a look at the 360 Buyers Guide:

Ferrari Buyer's Guides - Ferrari Life

Lower mileage tends to be more attractive to collectors. Higher mileage cars that have been well maintained can be in much better condition than a low mileage garage queen. In terms of years, 2001-2004 are generally preferred over the very early cars.

Boxer

F40
post #3 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,137
Dvice,

Wlecome to the forum .

Parts are readily available via several of our sponsors. Probably the most important is the major service every three years that include the belts and tensioners.

Personally, I would steer clear of the $50-60K cars. In fact, I'd say that about the $70K cars too. My opinion is they'll all have stories (see the Buyers Guide). Plenty of good cars out there, take your time and make sure you get one of them. Don't be distracted by "bargains", you stand a good chance of being sorry later. Again, my personal opinion is that the sweet spot years for the 360 are 02-04, but that's just based on my own search for one.

Conversely, I wouldn't worry about F1 vs Stick. Buy the one you like. I drove both and while I liked the F1, the stick just seemed more natural to me and required more connection with the car. You may find you like the F1 for other reasons.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
A search in the 360/430 forum will give you all the service and buying advise you'll need. Killer has you covered nicely in staying away from the 50-70k as too many have 'features' even a mechanic with your experience might not want to tackle with your first experience. IMO a 70-80k car with full history and buying advise covered may be just what the doctor ordered for you. If I had your experience I can't think of a better way to bond with a '02-'04 360 than a 30k service and belt change. Could be a fun winter project and the best spring ever!

Keep us posted
post #5 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,671
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Go to ferraridatabase.com and download free owners manuals and workshop manuals, plus other tech data. Except for setting up an F1 clutch, which requires a special diagnostic tool (SD2 or equivalent), you should be able to maintain a 360 considering your background.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-09-2016, 11:03 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Hi, just bought my first 360 ferarri and I noticed it makes a noise coming from the rear, when I'm making a slow turn weather I'm backing up or pulling forward ...has anyone had this problem ? Thanks
post #7 of 7 Old 07-08-2016, 09:50 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Go to ferraridatabase.com and download free owners manuals and workshop manuals, plus other tech data. Except for setting up an F1 clutch, which requires a special diagnostic tool (SD2 or equivalent), you should be able to maintain a 360 considering your background.
thanks, this one I've been looking for

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode