Ferrari Life Ferrari Forum Ferrari Owners ::

FerrariLife's: DIY Ferrari Projects Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 298
Default FerrariLife's: DIY Ferrari Projects Guide

With CKRacing's help, we are embarking on a new book project. Based on our members posts of their favorite projects, we will put together the:

"DIY Ferrari Projects Guide"

Everyone who posts a project which is included in the book will receive a 1 year free membership to FerrariLife, a copy of the FerrariLife Buyers Portfolio book, and a copy of the DIY Ferrari Projects book. Credit to all contributors will be given in each book chapter to which they have contributed. We strongly believe this book will be of great interest and benefit to the Ferrari community.

Please PM me if you have any questions.

Resources: Parts List | Buyer's Guides
williamtaylor is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,874

Sounds like a great project, William. I wish I could contribute to it.

Onno
JazzyO is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,325
Name: Andrew

If you have a few mechanical friends be sure to let them know about it.
Andrew is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,510

You can be sure that I'll be contributing!!

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 03:23 AM   #5

Ferrari Life Posts: 45

I think this is a splendid idea! It's good to see that some the owners on the forum here actually do work on their cars themselves.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 11:17 PM   #6
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 575

After a long period of being away from this forum, I decided to log in and check what's up.

I saw the PM CKRacing left in my inbox requesting an article and I can supply one or two

I will be wrapping up a major running-gear rebuild that I started back in December 2007 and this included:

- Replacing all suspension bushings on the A-Arms.
- Replacing all ball joints and tie-rod ends.
- Rebuilding the steering rack.
- Rebuilding all four Koni shock absorbers.
- Replacing the rear wheel bearings and crack-testing the stub-axles.
- Rebuilding the entire braking system (master cylinder, brake calipers, hoses, pipes, etc).
- Re-plating all hardware and brackets to their original finishes (Yellow and silver zinc).
- Not to mention, the timing belts are due (already! It's been seven years since I last did them!).

Needless to say, I have been able to accomplish all of the above myself (except for the crack-testing of the axles. I had a certified testing facility perform that. Thankfully they passed with flying colours. Otherwise big $$$ if they didn't...).

If some of the above have already been covered by other members elsewhere in this forum, let me know, otherwise, I can contribute any other procedure article.

I'm still in the midst of this rebuild so some of the above items are still ongoing, so once the project is complete, I'll gather up the photos and write an article. What format should it be in? Am I too late to contribute?

Regards,

Peter
'75 308 GT4 (Peter) is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2008, 01:35 AM   #7
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '75 308 GT4 (Peter) View Post
After a long period of being away from this forum, I decided to log in and check what's up.
Gee, it was only 4 years. I'd been wondering where you'd gone off to. Welcome back!!

Capt. Pete
Old 05-16-2008, 01:07 AM   #8
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,385

Quote:
Originally Posted by '75 308 GT4 (Peter) View Post

I saw the PM CKRacing left in my inbox requesting an article and I can supply one or two

I will be wrapping up a major running-gear rebuild that I started back in December 2007 and this included:

- Replacing all suspension bushings on the A-Arms.
- Replacing all ball joints and tie-rod ends.
- Rebuilding the steering rack.
- Rebuilding all four Koni shock absorbers.
- Replacing the rear wheel bearings and crack-testing the stub-axles.
- Rebuilding the entire braking system (master cylinder, brake calipers, hoses, pipes, etc).
- Re-plating all hardware and brackets to their original finishes (Yellow and silver zinc).
- Not to mention, the timing belts are due (already! It's been seven years since I last did them!).

Needless to say, I have been able to accomplish all of the above myself (except for the crack-testing of the axles. I had a certified testing facility perform that. Thankfully they passed with flying colours. Otherwise big $$$ if they didn't...).

If some of the above have already been covered by other members elsewhere in this forum, let me know, otherwise, I can contribute any other procedure article.

I'm still in the midst of this rebuild so some of the above items are still ongoing, so once the project is complete, I'll gather up the photos and write an article. What format should it be in? Am I too late to contribute?

Regards,

Peter
Peter, Welcome back. Good to see you here again. How is the 308 GT4?

Boxer

F40
Boxer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2008, 12:02 AM   #9
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Gee, it was only 4 years. I'd been wondering where you'd gone off to. Welcome back!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Peter, Welcome back. Good to see you here again. How is the 308 GT4?
Thanks for the well-wishes.

I have always been around, just doing my own thing and keeping very busy.

The 308 has been doing well, but, I couldn't put off this project any longer. In fact, I wanted to do this not this past winter, but the winter before that ('06/'07 season), but I had broken my thumb (well, more like crushed it, but that's a lonnngggg story...) and wasn't able to do anything with that hand for six months. For whatever reason, the bones wouldn't want to set and it took that long to heal. By the time it was okay, it was prime driving season and I couldn't bear to put the car on jack stands!

When this past winter came along and me in good health, I started with it and still carrying on! Lots of detail work that can't really be accomplished in an hour or two, so it gets spread out during evenings and weekends.

I have been told by other GT4 owners who have done the same thing, that I won't believe just how much of a difference this work will do to the car and how much better it will be. That's news to me as I always thought the car drove well before! Now that I see just how bad it was, I suppose I will be blown away by it.

I'll stay in touch and will update when it's finished.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:35 AM   #10
Owner
Elite Member

Peter,
I look forward to reading all your reports, I'll probably want to do the same to my car over this next winter. I'm just in the process of building a new heated garage with a lift so I'll be primed for a good project!

Capt. Pete
Old 05-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #11
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Peter,
I look forward to reading all your reports, I'll probably want to do the same to my car over this next winter. I'm just in the process of building a new heated garage with a lift so I'll be primed for a good project!
Make sure you add a hydraulic press (shock absorber bushings) and a good lathe (steering rack internal bushing), because I needed both with this project!
Old 05-20-2008, 04:16 AM   #12
Owner
Elite Member

I've already got the press. Don't have a lathe though. I'll have to add that to the list.

Capt. Pete
Old 06-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #13
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 97

Just bought my first ferrari- '78 308 gts. Looking for a good shop manual for usual spec's. any help?
bill ward is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2008, 09:28 PM   #14
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ward View Post
Just bought my first ferrari- '78 308 gts. Looking for a good shop manual for usual spec's. any help?
Become an elite member of Ferrari Life and you can download your manual here for free.

Capt. Pete
Old 06-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #15
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
good question, does anyone have a pdf copy of the 308 workshop manual ?

Old 06-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #16
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 97
Default re: shop manual

I've registered and found the buyers guide on your site. guide is helpful but still looking for manual. any thoughts?
bill ward is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #17
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I've registered and found the buyers guide on your site. guide is helpful but still looking for manual. any thoughts?
Bill,
Click on the members tab up top here, and then on the left you will see the elite member's box. Click on workshop manuals and download the 308 GT4 workshop manual. It is the exact same car just with a different body. Mechanically the 2 cars are identical. I've got the parts manual on PDF so PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Capt. Pete
Old 01-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #18
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 554
Name: Scott

Is this still available?

I'm new here but have got several DIY posts on how to perform maintenance and improvements on my Dino; changing the six coolant hoses; replaced the 3 coolant pipes, alternator upgrade, accessing door interior panels; remove/replacing exhaust for ceramic coating, fabricating alternator heat shield, r/r water pump so we could fabricate a new one, changing engine oil, changing transaxle fluid, bench testing the external voltage regulator, sourcing a modern replacement for the problematic alternator fusebox, etc.
SCM246 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #19
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,063

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM246 View Post
Is this still available?

I'm new here but have got several DIY posts on how to perform maintenance and improvements on my Dino; changing the six coolant hoses; replaced the 3 coolant pipes, alternator upgrade, accessing door interior panels; remove/replacing exhaust for ceramic coating, fabricating alternator heat shield, r/r water pump so we could fabricate a new one, changing engine oil, changing transaxle fluid, bench testing the external voltage regulator, sourcing a modern replacement for the problematic alternator fusebox, etc.

Not sure but here is something I will be contributing:

My wife.

ya', she is going to be performing, depending on how the pistons look due to the evap recovery canister being toasted, in the Mondial T, the
- Engine out, tuneup, cams and belts and tensioners and heads, and waterpump and
- if needing a rebuild of the rings and valves, SHE, will be doing a bit of work on that too.
- Rob of Stewart Engr. has graciously allowed her to go at it.

She has done many Chevy's etc/. but I've seen her abilities, and this will prove a gal can do what most guys think is a man's world.

BTW, Rob's wife is a racer, beautiful Ferrari if ever I saw one, and if permitted I'll post a pic of that green, 308 coup beauty...

stay tuned to the thead postings over the next few months of:

Mondial T / 348 : Engine out Tuneup - By a WOMAN

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Granucci is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #20
Owner
Elite Member

Yes, it should be.

Ferrari Life Ferrari Forum Ferrari Owners FerrariLife's: DIY Ferrari Projects Guide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ferrari Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.