Ferrari maintenance costs - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-21-2009, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
 
lawrence-lugar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego, California
Ferrari Life Posts: 108
Ferrari maintenance costs

Hi,


My inquiry is about general Ferrari annual maintenance costs.



They say Ferrari is expensive to maintain, you can't just buy, for example, a $50K Ferrari (355) and expect the same maintenance costs as a $50K Porsche, Corvette, etc.


But isn't annual maintenance/checkups consisting of standard oil, tire, etc checks. pretty much the same across all vechicles...


What am I missing here, besides insurance costs?
lawrence-lugar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 04-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Owner
 
JazzyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,421
If a Corvette costs $2 - 3k a year for maintenance, then I guess they're pretty much the same...

You're making a comparison between apples and hedgehogs. The Ferrari cost $200k - $300k when new, the Corvette $50k. How can you compare the two?

You have to understand that Ferraris are not, like Porsches and Corvettes, produced by 100,000 a year. Nonetheless, they use virtually no parts from other cars. So all the development has to be paid for by 3,700 people in 6 years (if we take the 550 Maranello as an example) instead of 400,000 people in 4 years. You can imagine the factory will try and recoup some of those costs in parts as well. Consequently, parts are expensive. Because these cars are not mass produced and designed by an army of engineers, they are more difficult to work on - a major service on a $30k Mondial T costs you 30 hours of labour and $6 - $8k... More modern Ferraris cost less on the major service, but it's never comparable to a Corvette. There is a reason why Ferraris are seen as the ultimate! If you want the ultimate, you have to pay for it.

When I budgeted for my $130k 550 Maranello 2 years ago, my calculations (including depreciation, storage, insurance and maintenance but NO FINANCE) came to $1300 a month. Two years later my research proved well founded and I haven't been far off (it was a little on the high side, but I have had no problems. If I have a breakdown it will be a different story).

For more info, use the search function.


Onno
JazzyO is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 04-22-2009, 03:22 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence-lugar View Post
Hi,


My inquiry is about general Ferrari annual maintenance costs.



They say Ferrari is expensive to maintain, you can't just buy, for example, a $50K Ferrari (355) and expect the same maintenance costs as a $50K Porsche, Corvette, etc.


But isn't annual maintenance/checkups consisting of standard oil, tire, etc checks. pretty much the same across all vechicles...


What am I missing here, besides insurance costs?
1st it varies greatly by model (8 or 12 cylinder), age, condition.
2nd it varies greatly if a model has cambelts and then if the cambelt change is an engine in or out job
3rd how much of the work can you do yourself

Boxer

F40
Boxer is offline  
post #4 of 21 Old 04-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Owner
 
Gcalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Ramon, Calif
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,621
Boxer hit it very well and then there are the unique quirks to each model that can sneak up.

It's advisable to plan $2K-$3K/year overall for maintenence unless, as Boxer indicated, you can do a good deal yourself.

Ferrari's are like high maintenance women- you don't ride them every day and it's costly just to have them in your possession!

Welcome to F.L.
Gcalo is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 04-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southwest Ontario, Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
Ferrari's are like high maintenance women- you don't ride them every day and it's costly just to have them in your possession!
Yes, but when the Ferrari leaves ( god forbid.....), it will not take half of your possessions with it.

Greg

"The ride is the reason. The destination is just the excuse! " - Mr. Joe Katz
GPGardin is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 04-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Owner
 
Gcalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Ramon, Calif
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPGardin View Post
Yes, but when the Ferrari leaves ---it will not take half of your possessions with it.
Because by that point it has already!!!!
Gcalo is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 04-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Owner
 
Malcqv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Manchester UK
Ferrari Life Posts: 271
Depends on the Ferrari, my Mondial QV is cheap (relatively) to buy. My maintenance costs over the four years average about 800.

There are plenty of specialist out there to do the work too.
Malcqv is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 04-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Owner
 
Granucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: far and away
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,174
cost cost costs.

all above are true. Here is a consideration: get use of it and the cost / mile goes down.

Greg can attest, there is a certain 512TR in the Bay Area > 250,000 miles IIRC from Rifledriver/Brian. and the maintenance on that are normal fluid changes, tires, the off-clutch items brakes etc.

good to go. Cost / mile = very low.

Garage queens run in every mfgr. and some are not as kind, though most non-exotics are easy to turn the key and go [for awhile ].

The thing about exotics is they have been experienced to death, in a sense, and the usual suspects come to light in those models. The problem exists in finding the rare part/mech to fix it. Otherwise not much different than that.

I use or try to use, mine as daily drivers. Ya' get dinged every year with 'something', shoot, the Mondial T has been sitting waiting for an alternator pulley for over two months....kit missing one. So that translates into more costs....but it's just an almost regular DELCO alternator.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !


Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Granucci is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 04-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Owner
 
Gcalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Ramon, Calif
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,621
However there are hiiden and unexpected costs as well.

The 360's use a water cooled heat exchanger to cool the tranny oil.

They go bad and it happened to a friend. His tranny and rear end filled with coolant and the coolant system was then filled with 75 weight gear oil!

The replacement exchanger is about $800.00. The repair was in excess of $10,000.00!

Horrendous!

These are the things that can happen to spoil your day!

Last edited by Gcalo; 04-29-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Gcalo is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 05-03-2009, 01:10 PM
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Germany
Ferrari Life Posts: 3
first post

Hi FL' ers,

nice place here...I need to learn a lot

is somebody here to tell me which models can get new cambelts without pulling the engine?

best regards from germany

HP
hofmannhp is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 05-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Owner
 
Gcalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Ramon, Calif
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,621
360 for sure and I believe 308 and 328.
Gcalo is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 05-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofmannhp View Post
Hi FL' ers,

nice place here...I need to learn a lot

is somebody here to tell me which models can get new cambelts without pulling the engine?

best regards from germany

HP
Actually easier to list the models that you need to pull the engine on:

- 365 GT4 BB
- 512 BB
- 512 BBi
- Testarossa
- 512 TR
- 512 M
- 348
- F355
- Mondial t

Boxer

F40
Boxer is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 05-04-2009, 06:18 AM
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Germany
Ferrari Life Posts: 3
cambelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Actually easier to list the models that you need to pull the engine on:

- 365 GT4 BB
- 512 BB
- 512 BBi
- Testarossa
- 512 TR
- 512 M
- 348
- F355
- Mondial t
Thanks Boxer and Gcalo,

can be the decision to a 360 or 430.....

regards
HP
hofmannhp is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 05-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Owner
 
JazzyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofmannhp View Post
can be the decision to a 360 or 430.....
Don't forget depreciation! You're going to lose a lot more on that on the 360 and even more on the 430, especially if you don't keep the car for too long (what I mean by that is that depreciation will be much worse than the offset by cheaper maintenance).


Onno

Last edited by JazzyO; 05-04-2009 at 09:55 AM.
JazzyO is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 05-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Owner
 
Gcalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Ramon, Calif
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofmannhp View Post
Thanks Boxer and Gcalo,

can be the decision to a 360 or 430.....
430 no longer uses belts.

They now use timing chains as do the Maserati's.
Gcalo is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 05-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Owner
 
JJS612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Spain
Ferrari Life Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
Boxer hit it very well and then there are the unique quirks to each model that can sneak up.

It's advisable to plan $2K-$3K/year overall for maintenence unless, as Boxer indicated, you can do a good deal yourself.

Ferrari's are like high maintenance women- you don't ride them every day and it's costly just to have them in your possession!

Welcome to F.L.
Moral of the story - smile while you ride her every day and get your moneys worth, remember she won't take half when she leaves.

I would rather look at or $/mile or KM than cost per year - because even a low mileage car can depreciate massively, especially in this economic climate.

Saying that I enjoyed every one of my 10k km this last year, and hope to do more this year.

Happy Driving..
JJS612 is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 08-07-2010, 01:49 AM
Owner
 
Italian Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Far end of the P pond
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,579
I must say, things are getting a bit "lively" ??? Not a tasteful cup of tea for me. No need to waste your adrenaline for such interjections. w/ smiles Jimmy
Italian Lover is online now  
post #18 of 21 Old 08-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
I must say, things are getting a bit "lively" ??? Not a tasteful cup of tea for me. No need to waste your adrenaline for such interjections. w/ smiles Jimmy
I suppose you're right - which leads me to taking my 430 out for a good spin!! Now that's a much better way to rid oneself of bad vibrations!

Take care, everyone!

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 08-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 65
Managed to get out in her later in the afternoon as the sky cleared up - my evening drive took me past the Audi & BMW garages - but I somehow managed to resist the urge to pull in

Last edited by chesterfield; 08-07-2010 at 04:25 PM.
chesterfield is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 09-23-2012, 04:30 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS612 View Post
Moral of the story - smile while you ride her every day and get your moneys worth, remember she won't take half when she leaves.

I would rather look at or $/mile or KM than cost per year - because even a low mileage car can depreciate massively, especially in this economic climate.

Saying that I enjoyed every one of my 10k km this last year, and hope to do more this year.

Happy Driving..
How is the 612 going? Still doing about 10k a year?

Boxer

F40
Boxer is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale