Ferraris in Movies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 02:33 AM   #1
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,090
Name: David
Default Ferraris in Movies

Old movies are great, especially when a Ferrari pops up. Here are some movies enjoyed recently.

1. Why me? (1990) Easy watching saved only by the sight and sound of a 328 GTS blasting through a tunnel. It sounded awesome.

2. Thomas Crown Affair (1968) One of the great McQueen movies. All too brief shots of a 275 GTB/4 NART Spider and unfortunately no shots of the Ferrari being driven. Still a great movie though.

3. Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (2003) Ferrari Enzo and 250 GT California save this ego-trip for Cameron Diaz movie (still, Cameron and friends having ego trips are not a bad thing with hot outfits and sexy moves).

Ages ago I saw a movie where a dude drove a 275 GTB and he became obsessed with an ex of his. He ended up beaching the 275 and revving the proverbial out of it while trying to run her and the hero over. It must have been made in the late 1960's or 1970's. Does anyone know the name of that movie? That 275 left an impression.
Vitalone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:44 AM   #2

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,273

Funny you started this thread as just over this past weekend on T.V they were showing an old film with Dolph Lungren in it called Joshua Tree were towards the end of the film he steals an F40 from this guy's house and then lands up in a warehouse full of stolen F40's and Lamborghini Countach's which after a gun fight in the warehouse leaves a few F40's and Lambo's with bullet holes in them, this soon turns into a high speed car cash made up of him in a F40 while these corrupt police officers chase him in a black Countach.

Oh yeah, and who can forget Ferris Bueller's Day Off with the 1961 Ferrari 250GT California Spyder where he wants to erase any miles they put on the dad's car by driving the car home in reverse. He then jacks the car up and puts it into reverse and when he leans his foot on the bumper it falls from the jack and goes smashing through the glass backwards. I heard once that it was not a real California......I should hope so!!

Last edited by Mike430; 10-27-2008 at 06:52 AM.
Mike430 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike430 View Post
I heard once that it was not a real California......I should hope so!!
Absolutely - it was a replica. Even in those days that car was worth a bunch.

I also love old movies and the cars that are in them. I was watching the first season of Magnum PI recently - obviously we all know the 308 in that but I was amazed at all the close-up shots in the pilot, including things like dashboard etc. Great for us anoraks.

Yesterday evening I was watching Scarface, and there is a lovely looking Maserati Merak (the perfect companion to a 308, if you ask me) parked outside of the Babylon Club.

There is also a 250 PF (?) driven by David Niven in "A shot in the dark", the first Pink Panther movie with Peter Sellers.

You gotta love LeMans with Steve McQueen and Bullit of course. LeMans has no story, but who cares when you can see these old racers in true period action?!?!!??! Awesome!

And of course: Herbie. HATE the movies, but the glorious '60ies cars that that mongrel is overtaking... there are some stunning Ferraris, Astons and GT40s in the background!

Onno
JazzyO is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #4

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Name: Chris Hawkins

Here is a good Ferrari chasing scene from Bad Boys II. I've never seen the movie in its entirety though.

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Chrishawk4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 428

I watched that movie the Joshua Tree on Friday night for that scene with the exotics - even if they are clearly replicas!!! The F40 looks like it was based on a Pontiac Fiero or something.
Schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 12:05 AM   #6

Hi guys other movies that I've seen with Ferrari's :

1). The Rock - Yellow F355 Spider in a chase scene with a Hummer through the streets of San Francisco and then it gets crushed by the Tram.

2). The Glass House - Red 512TR which also lands up getting smashed by an oil tanker.

3). Goldeneye - Red F355 GTS in the opening scene where 007 is in a Aston DB5 and the ''bad'' bond girl is in the Ferrari and they are ''toying'' with each other while racing through the mountain tops.

4). The Gumball Rally - Red Daytona Spider and Cobra come together in the canals. This movie was known for reproducing accurate sounds of the now days classic cars used in this movie that other movies of this era could not manage to do this.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:46 AM   #7
Owner
Elite Member

Thanks guys for reminding me of some great movies. Of those mentioned I have not seen Joshua Tree and Glass House. Reading these great posts reminded me of another movie starring a 275.

In A New Leaf (1971), Walter Matthau blasts around New York in a 275 GTB/4complete with a helmet that he dons whenever he drives his Ferrari. Unfortunately most of the time they dubbed the soundtrack from a V8 rather than the quad cam V12. Still a great movie made all the better for the 275's role.

The Herbie movies did indeed have great shots of rare and classic cars including Apollo GT and Lamborghini 400 GT (The Love Bug-1969) and Daytona Group 4s, Carrera RSRs and Pantera Group 4s (Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo-1977). The Love Bug was actually a cool movie set in San Francisco in the 1960s whereas Monte Carlo was a weak movie enlivened only by the great supporting cast of fabulously valuable racing cars (even though the fastest of them seemed to be a very poor copy of the Porsche 917!)
Old 10-28-2008, 02:15 AM   #8
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,093
Name: Roberto Giannini

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_PFAPaRnng

This is one of my favorite movies

Go to 5 min 45 sec Ferrari 348gts

Best line "boner inspiring though it may be"

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
Night Life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 05:02 AM   #9
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_PFAPaRnng

This is one of my favorite movies

Go to 5 min 45 sec Ferrari 348gts

Best line "boner inspiring though it may be"
Excellent!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:38 AM   #10
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
Here is a good Ferrari chasing scene from Bad Boys II. I've never seen the movie in its entirety though.

Chris
For Hollywood pulp it's very enjoyable. Even more so now that I own a 550 (although the car in that movie is 'played' by both a 575 and a 550, they probably thought nobody would notice).

Onno
JazzyO is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
For Hollywood pulp it's very enjoyable. Even more so now that I own a 550 (although the car in that movie is 'played' by both a 575 and a 550, they probably thought nobody would notice).

Onno
Thats so sad that they switched the cars like that. I found out the reason that they used the 550 in the chase scene was due to the fact that it was personally owned by Michael Bay, the director. So he pretty much donated the his car. I think that they should've just used the 550 throughout the movie.

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
Old 10-29-2008, 01:18 AM   #12
Owner

Dammit Chris stop changing your avatar I keep thinking it's a new guy...

Old 10-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Dammit Chris stop changing your avatar I keep thinking it's a new guy...
Haha! I think I'll keep this one a while. Its the University of Detroit Mercy's Pre-Dentistry Students Association. I had a tooth and a toothbrush before and it just looked funny.

Chris

Old 11-02-2008, 05:33 AM   #14
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,732

Seeing Ferraris in movies is always special. I went to see 'Get Smart' a couple of weeks ago and was really surprised by this scene, I just never expected it. It is totally gratuitous

Luv it!

Current: 360 Modena
Future: V12...
AvidSquare
-----------------------------
'Some people dream of success...
while others play the lottery...'
t1fosI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 04:18 AM   #15
Owner
Elite Member

Classic scene from Get Smart. I have just added that movie to the must see movie list.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #16
Owner
Elite Member

The Long Goodbye featuring Elliot Gould based on the book by Raymond Chandler. Great book, movie disappointing. Made worthwhile by opening scenes feauturing a pale yellow Daytona Spider-with non-standard centre console-blasting along the streets at night. Looks and sounds fantastic-the Daytona steals the show.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #17
Owner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sru24waDtvw

This one is awesome I think they copied the scene from Against all odds but this has a bit more flare plus Ari is f#cking funny I love this show.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #18
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,620

The Replacements!
Gcalo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 04:10 AM   #19
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sru24waDtvw

This one is awesome I think they copied the scene from Against all odds but this has a bit more flare plus Ari is f#cking funny I love this show.
That is cool. And indeed a copy of the scene from Against All Odds. Funnily enough in the latter, the Porsche was red and the Ferrari was black. Great fun!

Gcalo, The Replacements? Do elaborate-is it worth adding to the must-see-Ferrari-featuring-films?
Old 12-02-2008, 06:31 AM   #20

1). Night at the Roxbury - Yellow Testarossa driven by Richard Grieco as he pulls up outside the club.

2). Road House - Testarossa dropping off a female passenger in the beginning.

3). Miami Vice (t.v series) - The most regonized Ferrari besides the 308 from Magnum P.I, the white Testarossa. Which was actually given to the series from Ferrari to replace the fake Daytona from the first few seasons.

4). Miami Vice (movie) - Grey F430 Spider driven by Colin Farrell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ferrari Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.