Money can't buy happiness.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Default Money can't buy happiness.

We've all heard that saying. "Money can't buy happiness."
But money can buy a Ferrari and have you ever seen anyone get out of a Ferrari with a frown on their face?

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:02 AM   #2
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
We've all heard that saying. "Money can't buy happiness."
But money can buy a Ferrari and have you ever seen anyone get out of a Ferrari with a frown on their face?
Actually I have, right after the yellow Slow Down 1-4 and Slow Down 5-8 lights lite up the dashboard.

Boxer

F40
Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2007, 02:49 AM   #3
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,323
Name: Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Actually I have, right after the yellow Slow Down 1-4 and Slow Down 5-8 lights lite up the dashboard.
LOL, instant classic. I am guessing that would put a frown on the face.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,958
Name: Mario

Money does buy happiness and anyone who says it doesn’t is a fool. The problem is people have personal issues they need to deal with and think money will make them forget but it doesn’t. 9 out of 10 people lie to themselves, have issues, addictions (booze and drugs), they don’t take responsibility for their actions and blame everyone else for their problems… People need to stop whining and grow up…

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
Magnum6464 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 275

I try really hard to collect enough money to buy an 550 and F40. If I succeed and I'm not happy, oh man, then I really have got some issues...
Louis355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2007, 09:28 PM   #6

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,861
Name: stile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum6464 View Post
People need to stop whining and grow up…
agree

money doesn't buy happiness, growing up brings you happiness and money

growing up is much better than winning the lottery

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
stile - alpine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #7
DDD

Ferrari Life Posts: 2

Money should be seen as a tool to enable you to do want you want with your life (buy a ferrari, buy a manson, start a company, etc). In a sense, money doesn't buy happyness, but it does create situations where you can be happy and satisfied.

DDD
DDD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2007, 07:17 PM   #8
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine View Post
agree

money doesn't buy happiness, growing up brings you happiness and money

growing up is much better than winning the lottery
Stile,
You really got it down. You remember how happy I was when I turned 40 and I posted that I thought that was the best age to be? Things are still getting better. I do agree with you and think that working hard, having good health and being moderately successful as you gracefully mature is much more gratifying that winning the lottery.

Of course, I haven't won the lottery. That would probably change my whole outlook on things. At least the other things in the last paragraph are things that are within your control. Anyone can do those and be happy.

Capt. Pete
Old 06-17-2007, 08:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Stile,
You really got it down. You remember how happy I was when I turned 40 and I posted that I thought that was the best age to be? Things are still getting better. I do agree with you and think that working hard, having good health and being moderately successful as you gracefully mature is much more gratifying that winning the lottery.

Of course, I haven't won the lottery. That would probably change my whole outlook on things. At least the other things in the last paragraph are things that are within your control. Anyone can do those and be happy.
yes, Pete, everyone can work hard, study hard, grow up, be successful and happy

but most people don't do that... why? because they are waiting to win the lottery

and then guess what? some actually win the lottery, but then realize that it doesn't make them happy

I'm very sure that you would be happy if you won the lottery, so would I, but we are already 100% happy without that

can you ask for anything more? I live in paradise =)

Old 06-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #10
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
can you ask for anything more? I live in paradise =)
I envy you. You are half my age and already happy with life. You have a lot of good things going on and much more good things to come. Enjoy it my friend! It has it's ups and downs but it is one a hell of a ride!

Here's one I just thought of:
Life is like a roller coaster, ride on the biggest one you can find and just hang on and go with it, things happen that are out of your control, some good, some bad, up and down, faster and slower, loops, spins, you feel excited at some points, you feel nausia and want to throw up at some points, etc., etc. Just be brave, keep your hands inside, try not to scream and when the ride is over you should end up with a big grin on your face.

Capt. Pete
Old 06-18-2007, 09:00 AM   #11

YOU are the one with a Ferrari in the garage, and YOU envy ME???? this is massed up hehehehehehe

I agree with the roller coaster idea, specially with the part "try not to scream" hehehehehehe I hate screamers!

Old 06-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #12
Owner
Elite Member

[quote=stile - alpine;52975]YOU are the one with a Ferrari in the garage, and YOU envy ME???? this is massed up hehehehehehe

quote]

I would use the word respect. You are young, smart, hard working, polite, and have your head on straight.

In my book that earns a high degree of respect.

Boxer

F40
Old 06-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #13

holy crap, Pete envies me, and Boxer respects me

you just made my day!!! hehehehehe =D thanks for that, you are a great inspiration to me, so many nice, succesful, fun people in only one forum =)

EDIT: see how money can't buy happiness?? you just made me so very happy hehehehehehe and it's something that money just can't buy

Old 06-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #14
Owner
Elite Member

Boxer and I are about the same age and we seem to share similar values; if he has the same experience as me he has seen plenty of young people who feel the world owes them a living just for being alive. I refer to them as the "Give me" generation. It is just so refreshing when I see a young person who wants to work hard, wants to learn, and wants to earn his way in the world by his own hands and mind. You are not the kind of guy who looks to others to provide for him, you want to earn it on your own merits, your own work, "It was I who did this!" and that generates a lot of respect from others. People who scream at the world and say it is my fault that they drive a Pontiac when I drive a Ferrari and that they have a right to this-or-that and that life is not fair piss me off. Life is not fair. Life involves hard work and taking calculated risks. The reason why I have a 308 and Boxer has an F40 is because he was willing to take risks that I wasn't willing to take and they paid off for him. And he's probably willing to work a little harder than I am. You are taking a calculated risk by extending your education to a school in Portugal, but you have looked at all sides of it and decided that holding off on the career right now and extending the education will pay off in the long run. It might not pay off. You don't know. It is a risk you have contemplated and decided that you are willing to take.

But the biggest reason why you have our respect is because you have given us yours. Respect earns respect.

So yeah, you are right. You have received happiness due to something that money can't buy.

Capt. Pete
Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 PM   #15
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,958
Name: Mario

Quote:
Boxer and I are about the same age and we seem to share similar values
What I meant in a little more detail was…

If Boxer, you or I would win the lottery we would use it wisely because we have dealt with issues, successes and failures and would use our new found money wisely. If Style would win the lottery he would get the best and most education possible in order to be successful for his entire professional career. Style, you have attained a level that very few have achieved and im not talking about school, im talking about wisdom. Anyone can use his brain to study, but not many can use it to reason with everyday challenges. I also envy you because you not only think with the tools you were given from a book but from what life around provides you…

Now someone who makes 12k a year and doesn’t care about work or responsibilities, didn’t care about school or working hard and wins the lottery, they are broke one or two years later and blame every one else for their failures.

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
Magnum6464 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 11:03 PM   #16
Owner
Elite Member

I wouldn't use lottery money wisely. I'd piss it away on wine, women, fancy cars, etc. The divorce would cost me half. Winning the lottery would be bad for me. The money I earned on my own and the life I built by myself I will strive to protect.

But I do agree with you on one point Mario, Stile has a wisdom that belies his years.

Capt. Pete
Old 06-18-2007, 11:50 PM   #17
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I wouldn't use lottery money wisely. I'd piss it away on wine, women, fancy cars, etc. The divorce would cost me half.
Pete, I believe you were trying to say you would send half on wine, women, and fancy cars and then piss away the rest....

Boxer

F40
Old 06-19-2007, 12:58 PM   #18
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Boxer and I are about the same age and we seem to share similar values; if he has the same experience as me he has seen plenty of young people who feel the world owes them a living just for being alive. I refer to them as the "Give me" generation. It is just so refreshing when I see a young person who wants to work hard, wants to learn, and wants to earn his way in the world by his own hands and mind. You are not the kind of guy who looks to others to provide for him, you want to earn it on your own merits, your own work, "It was I who did this!" and that generates a lot of respect from others. People who scream at the world and say it is my fault that they drive a Pontiac when I drive a Ferrari and that they have a right to this-or-that and that life is not fair piss me off. Life is not fair. Life involves hard work and taking calculated risks. The reason why I have a 308 and Boxer has an F40 is because he was willing to take risks that I wasn't willing to take and they paid off for him. And he's probably willing to work a little harder than I am. You are taking a calculated risk by extending your education to a school in Portugal, but you have looked at all sides of it and decided that holding off on the career right now and extending the education will pay off in the long run. It might not pay off. You don't know. It is a risk you have contemplated and decided that you are willing to take.

But the biggest reason why you have our respect is because you have given us yours. Respect earns respect.

So yeah, you are right. You have received happiness due to something that money can't buy.
Very nicely put. Two things I do not agree with though. I probably do not work any harder than you do and on the risks, we just have different situations.

Boxer

F40
Old 06-19-2007, 01:00 PM   #19
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
EDIT: see how money can't buy happiness?? you just made me so very happy hehehehehehe and it's something that money just can't buy
Please forward your billing address.

Boxer

F40
Old 06-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #20
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Very nicely put. Two things I do not agree with though. I probably do not work any harder than you do and on the risks, we just have different situations.
True enough. Everyone has different situations. Some situations just happen, some situations are inherited, some situations are created. All of those situations can be either good or bad. It is how you deal with what your options are that seperates the men from the boys. You always have options, that is what I meant by risk taking. Every option available to you in life and every decision you make on how to act on them involves some sort of risk.

Example - I know that winning the lottery would probably be bad for me in the long run. But I still buy tickets each week. I've decided that it is a risk that I am willing to take.

Capt. Pete
Ferrari Life » Ferrari Forum » Ferrari Discussion » Money can't buy happiness.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ferrari Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.