Ferrari Life Forum banner

70th. anniversary celebrations in Maranello

5K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  dave rocks 
#1 ·
Does anyone know exactly what is going on in Modena in September (around the second weekend, I believe) to celebrate the 70th. anniversary? And what opportunities there will be for owners to participate if we bring our Ferraris?

Reactions: F1YMS
#3 ·
Unfortunaetly not.

I will go next week to Geneva and try to get more information.
Thankyou, Joel. Looking forward to hearing further from you - any info will help.

#9 ·
Yes, fancy website and b****r all information (about the events in Maranello, that is) other than the date - and that was in the email: the calendar of events doesn't even list it! Unless I am being thick, of course :frown2:

#11 ·
There is a Concorso for older / classiche certified cars on Sunday, by invitation only, and a tour from various starting points arriving in Maranello on Saturday, also invitation only. My understanding is that there is no event open to all. Apparently the following email was sent by Ferrari to various owners' clubs:

"As you already know, on September 8, 9 and 10, Ferrari has organized some private events to celebrate the 70th Anniversary together with some of the closest clients to our Factory. Unfortunately there won’t be activities open to everyone, as occurred during the festivities of the 60th Anniversary. For this reason, we do not recommend that you organize other activities with your club members in Maranello during those days"

I was invited to the Concorso and a weekend of supporting events, but I have declined after all my efforts to get some specific information from the organisers met with "pay your entry fee and then you will find out in due course".

#12 · (Edited)
John

This is not untypical of modern Ferrari. Like several friends, I have made hotel bookings and was about to book flights, assuming that the details would arrive a couple of days before departure, in accordance with usual practice.

A great disappointment. Twenty years ago all were welcomed, the streets of Maranello and Modena were packed with exotic cars, which one could examine and photograph at close quarters and Fiorano was open to all who bought the necessary pass. Factory tours were organised until late in the evening to accommodate everyone who wanted to go and souvenirs and gifts were handed out or for sale at modest prices.

I wonder if those with truly special cars who have decided not to contribute to the Classiche gravy-train will be turned away at the gate!

#13 ·
Please do not cancel your plans just on my say so.

It is of course quite possible that Ferrari will have a change of mind and open one or more of the events up to all-comers, or are planning to do so all along and just want to hook the likes of myself on the exclusivity / prestige of being invited, and get the money in before they announce that it will be a big beano like the 60th. was.

I suggest you either contact Ferrari direct, or speak to your local dealer to get confirmation first.

Back in May, I received an invite direct from Ferrari in Maranello, asking me if I would like to enter my car in the Concorso and participate in a series of supporting events over the weekend of 8/10 September. All for the bargain(!) price of 2,500 euros. To be fair, that does include 4* hotel accommodation for two (although which hotel and where is unspecified, and it was unclear whether it would be for two nights or three).

I had really been looking forward to it, and was very excited when I was eventually told that my car (Dino) had been accepted. Then the trouble started.

Not unnaturally, IMO, I asked for details - where we would be staying, for how many nights, when to arrive, what we would be doing each day / evening, etc. All I ever got was the sketchiest of details, each time the answer was basically the same - "pay now and we'll tell you what you will be getting for your money when we get around to it (maybe)".

Well, I am not prepared to hand over £2,000+, and drive over 1,000 miles each way, for a magical mystery tour - which may be wonderful, but could just as easily turn out to be s**t.

It's like being asked to pay for a package holiday and being told nothing other than the destination.

Nobody else would expect to do business like this. Just because they are Ferrari, they think they can get away with treating people in this off-hand, arrogant manner. Well, as far as I am concerned, they can get lost.

I am also not very impressed with the attitude of Ferrari towards owners of more modern Ferraris and non-owning enthusiasts as per the email I quoted above, which Marcel Massini posted on Fchat.

For me, one of the pleasures of Ferrari ownership is to share my good fortune with others, not just a select band of people who happen to own expensive cars. The ownership experience should be inclusive, not exclusive: it is about those of us who are lucky enough to own these wonderful machines taking them along for other enthusiasts (many less fortunate than ourselves) to enjoy.

Last Sunday, I went to an event in Lymington (Hampshire) where 50 FOC members’ cars (including my Dino) were on display in the morning at the local marina, then travelled in convoy through the town and parked up for the afternoon in the high street, which was closed off for the occasion, with an Italian market along one side, opposite the cars. Not only was our route through the town lined with spectators, taking photos and videos, waving and cheering as we passed by, but there were huge crowds at both display venues (the organisers estimated upwards of 4,000 spectators) – all people who wanted to come and see the cars and talk to the owners and who share our enthusiasm for the marque, despite not being lucky enough to own one, and who had a great afternoon doing just that.

This, for me, is what a celebration of Ferrari’s 70th. anniversary should be all about - sharing the excitement with as many people as possible. I think the difference between the 70th. and the 60th. is indicative of the way Ferrari has changed over the last 10 years. Sad.

#14 ·
...............Last Sunday, I went to an event in Lymington (Hampshire) where 50 FOC members’ cars (including my Dino) were on display in the morning at the local marina, then travelled in convoy through the town and parked up for the afternoon in the high street, which was closed off for the occasion, with an Italian market along one side, opposite the cars. Not only was our route through the town lined with spectators, taking photos and videos, waving and cheering as we passed by, but there were huge crowds at both display venues (the organisers estimated upwards of 4,000 spectators) – all people who wanted to come and see the cars and talk to the owners and who share our enthusiasm for the marque, despite not being lucky enough to own one, and who had a great afternoon doing just that.

This, for me, is what a celebration of Ferrari’s 70th. anniversary should be all about - sharing the excitement with as many people as possible. I think the difference between the 70th. and the 60th. is indicative of the way Ferrari has changed over the last 10 years. Sad.
It ain't sad, John, it's despicable. And one may be certain that Ferrari is going to pay for its arrogance, cozening to the few super-rich who commission the one-offs and buy the 8-figure 1950's/1960's cars. And disdaining the unwashed who support factory sales and the entire market by buying 'pre-owned' Ferraris. Unfortunately that is likely to occur after The Sweater has retired. I recollect that when he spun Ferrari off he stated that he would retire in 2018. I rather believe he will wish to stay on the gravy train a bit longer but not so long as to reap the whirlwind ("he who sows the wind shall reap.....")

just my 2c

#15 ·
Strategic mistake by Ferrari. Their exclusive marketing approach may backfire on them. What makes Ferrari great is the passion of the people who love the cars. If the passion of the people is not cultivated eventually all you will have is Ferrari's in museums.

-kim

#24 ·
Tom, not sure I love the direction Ferrari is heading. For one, the departure from Pininfarina is a massive mistake in my eyes. I love the 458 but feel the 488 is a fail. To me, the passion of Ferrari is unmistakable and totally different to any other make. I don't feel the same about any other cars like Audi, Lambo etc. I only hope Sergio does not destroy the Ferrari will all love.

#25 ·
I agree Dave. Such beautiful machines with amazing history. BTW my 550 Maranello took a platinum award at the Ferrara Fall Festival this weekend. Your refinishing of all my sticky parts helped a lot with the judges. They thought the interior looked great. Thanks again

Reactions: dave rocks
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.