Sad news... we lost our Captain - Ferrari Life
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 02-25-2017, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,880
Sad news... we lost our Captain

Pete04222, our beloved friend and Captain, has passed away

In our hearts he will always be the funniest Ferrari owner, friends of everybody around the world.

Rest in peace, Captain

In Loving Memory...

Peter M. Cyr, of Durham, Maine, passed away peacefully in his sleep unexpectedly from a heart attack, and was found on February 21, 2017 in his bed, with a book next to him. Peter, born on October 31, 1964, in Bath, Maine, to Lynda L. "Deering" and Camille M. Cyr, of Brunswick, Maine, was a private person, but enjoyed his regular get togethers with his friends and family. Peter was a beloved big Brother to his sister, Cheri "Cheryl Cyr, Ashland" Collins of Brunswick, Maine, and her daughter, his niece Hope Lynn Ashland-Brown, and Mia Lynn Brown, his Grand Niece, alongside his nephew-in-law, Dakota Brown. Peter recently enjoyed spending time with his Mother at the 'slot' machines in Oxford, Maine, and time with his Dad over the years with various home oriented projects and family functions. Peter had delighted himself with coin collecting for his niece, nephew-in-law, and Grand niece.

Peter felt a kindred-ship to his Brother-in-law, Scott Collins, of Brunswick, enjoyed his step-niece Eden Collins, and step-nephew Scottie Collins, and felt connected to his many close life-long friends including Peter Footer of Lewiston, Rick Wolfe of Topsham, Shane Moeykens, Andy Heir, Jim Goldsberry, Steve Gaudreau, Al & Mary Leeman, Charlie & Angelena Hehn, Jon & Ellen Clinesmith Carr, Gary & Amber Grenier, as well as Peter's first wife, Nicole "Joy" Walker and her husband, Seth Walker, and so many other friends from high school, and friends on oil rigs, and ships, all over the world.

Peter loved time with his extended Cyr family of his Uncle Roland & Betsy Bicknell Cyr, of VA, their children, his cousins Erik & his wife-to-be Erin Cyr, and Owen Cyr, as well as his other Uncle, Jerry Cyr and his long-time mate, Barbara Roth, of Turner, ME, and his son, Steven Cyr, his Stepchildren Christine Harvey - Worcester, her husband and children, and Patrick Harvey with his wife and children. Peter inherited his sense of humor from his Uncle Jerry, and a love of education from his Uncle Roland. He inherited his love of family from his Dad, Camille, the elder of Cyr men, and hands down, did anything for his family that he could possibly do, to help out.

Peter enjoyed many Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations at cousin Marjorie "Margie Black" & Duane Helmbolt's home, in Brunswick, including with their daughter, Haley Helmbolt, and her boyfriend Mike of Wyoming. Pete enjoyed surprising Margie and Duane with varied dinner guests from all over the world during those gatherings. Joseph "Joey" and Joy "Pippy" Black, of Damariscotta, cousins, enjoyed many fun times of playing pool, and reminiscing of family times.

Pre-deceased by maternal Aunt, Anita L. "Deering" Black, and her husband, Edgar "Joe" Black of Bath, Uncle Harry Deering, Jr., Bath, and maternal Grandparents, Harry & Mary "Holbrook" Deering, of Bath, as well as paternal Grandparents, Camille & Yvonne "LaJoie" Cyr of Augusta, as well as Great Aunt Ruth "Holbrook" Valley, of Bath, ME, and Great Aunt Doris "Holbrook" Dunton, of Boothbay Harbor, ME, as well as cousin Ruth "Ruthie" Constant of Boston, MA, and cousin Robbie Brey of Boothbay Harbor, ME.

Peter leaves behind many many cousins, including Dawn "Dunton, Brey" and Jim Murphy, William, "Billy" Brey" and his wife Mary, Cyndee "Brey" Sandvill and her husband Mike, as well as Carl Murphy, Lori Murphy, and Dan Murphy, and many young cousin children from those family members.

Peter loved all things mariner, from the legacy of the Deering Shipbuilding ancestory, and not only owned boats, but worked on them as a boat mechanic locally as a young adult. He attended Maine Maritime Academy, in Castine, to receive his Bachelor's Degree in 3 years, for his 4 year degree, as an adult. He worked on oil rigs around the world, including the infamous Deepwater Horizon, where he was a Chief Mate, but became the Captain of his own rig starting with Discover Enterprise, and with many other oil rigs, and ships, all over the world. He enjoyed travelling to Asia especially, but loved working with people of all backgrounds, and only expected of his crew what he would do himself. A fair boss, and more than fair in his personal life, he was very generous with everyone that he came into contact with, and with a personality that wanted to make things better for everyone involved.

Peter loved to tease his sister, Cheri, about their opposing political beliefs, and was excited to attend the then-President-Elect Trump's rally in Lisbon Falls, Maine, and was very happy to tease his sister at any time, especially on social media, about the elected President. He enjoyed a lot of varied activities, including a personal business venture with his sister, writing & promoting for a wrestling group, coin collecting for his family, and himself, as well as enjoying time watching movies, reading relentlessly, chatting with friends, and spending time with those whom he loved. He also enjoyed writing Facebook posts using the title "I went out to get some smokes..." Referring to his outings surrounding Durham, Maines' store "The Get and Go" and adding experiences thereof.

Peter was the kind of Brother, and best friend, that let his sister and her ex-husband and daughter (niece) live in a rental unit he owned/lived in, as well as helping out later on with his sister and niece. A true and faithful Brother and Uncle, and Friend, always. Peter even befriended life-long friends of Cheri to keep an eye on his sister, and had friends' of his keeping an eye on his sister, throughout the years. Peter was also lucky to have our parents' friends that looked in our us both throughout the years.

He had spent a lot of life in a short time, of 52 years, with travelling for work, but will always be remembered as the faithful family member, and friend, that could be counted on in any moments' notice. He leaves behind a family that wishes dearly they could have more years with him, but cherish those moments that occurred. The last time he spent with his sister was filled with a lot of fun, a great meal out at a local restaurant, and time spent watching a funny television show. They typically met every two to three weeks for those gatherings. His sister, and his parents, are devasted by the loss of their Brother, Son, and Best Friend, but are grateful for those wonderful family moments, including his Grand-niece's first Birthday party celebrated with the entire extended family in November.

This unexpected passing has been very emotional for all of Peter's family, and close friends, and in lieu of flowers or calls, please donate to either Beau Buddy Rescue, Bath, Maine, where he had rescued an amazing lab mixture, Trixie, he gave to his sister and brother-in-law when he was called away to work over-sea's on a rig. He also loved his two cats, that have since been adopted by a family friend, that he initially received from Coastal Humane Society in Brunswick, Maine. A family member is staying in the residence until the property is sold. The Family will hold a private Celebration of Life at a date to yet be determined. ** Hold your family tight, always say I love you. **

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-25-2017, 01:50 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
For some reason I am unable to access my old account. I just saw this on Facebook and am devistated by the news. I just exchanged words with him the other day. This world has truly lost a great person. Words can not describe how terrible this news is. RIP Captain Pete....

Chris
post #3 of 31 Old 02-25-2017, 03:43 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,736
I saw this on facebook this morning and tbh I am still in shock. Going to miss Captain Pete big time.

Current: 360 Modena
Future: 458 Speciale

-----------------------------

post #4 of 31 Old 02-25-2017, 11:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,699
Garage
Captain Pete, you would be missed sorely. Wish I can claim an obituary like that. Simply shows the kind of generous and open hearted person you were. Thanx to you for the memories. RIP.

Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #5 of 31 Old 02-25-2017, 03:35 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
I also was brought back here after hearing the news on Facebook. R.I.P. Captain.

Breck
post #6 of 31 Old 02-25-2017, 04:12 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Today is a sad day for me as it is for many I’m sure. I heard the news tonight; I’ve lost a great friend. We lived in different countries, only a few hours away but he still was my best friend. We spoke several times a month and sometimes every day for almost 12 years. Living in Québec, he used to call me his Canadian brother.

We met on the Ferrari Forum and immediately hit it off by having almost the same personality and sense of humor with a no bs attitude. We then connected via Facebook and we spoke countless hours when he had his divorce and he was there for me during my separation. He picking up the phone and calling me at 1am when he knew I was in need to talk to someone and talking to me for hours. Saying "Hey Mario, take a vacation, you are between work contracts and so am I, take a flight or drive down and come stay with me for a few weeks... come change your scenery, I would love to have you here". And he meant it too... We had always planned to meet saying, bring your E63 AMG and let’s switch (his Caddy) and he said let’s go have some fun... He said by that time he would have his pilot’s license and we would go up and fly.

I'm shocked and terribly saddened by this, I have a deep void in my heart tonight... I loved you very much Pete, you were my best friend, I will miss you, rest in peace...

~

Mario
Attached Images

Last edited by Magnum6464; 02-25-2017 at 04:55 PM.
post #7 of 31 Old 02-25-2017, 05:28 PM
Owner

Garage
My regret is that I never met Pete in person. During his extended overseas work stay in South Asia and China, he promised to stop by Tokyo for a visit so that we could have some fun.

I can understand Mario's comments and do share the sentiments. Even though never meeting in person, Pete was a rare individual these days who was genuine, friendly, sincere and one hell of a fine person. Still cannot digest the sad news.

Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #8 of 31 Old 02-25-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Lover View Post
My regret is that I never met Pete in person. During his extended overseas work stay in South Asia and China, he promised to stop by Tokyo for a visit so that we could have some fun.

I can understand Mario's comments and do share the sentiments. Even though never meeting in person, Pete was a rare individual these days who was genuine, friendly, sincere and one hell of a fine person. Still cannot digest the sad news.

Jimmy

Yeah, Jimmy... sorry I didn't get to meet him in person as well, but what we knew of him was more than enough to know that he was a very special guy! He always said we'd meet one day... Well, maybe we will, just wait a little, Captain!

post #9 of 31 Old 02-25-2017, 09:46 PM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine View Post
Yeah, Jimmy... sorry I didn't get to meet him in person as well, but what we knew of him was more than enough to know that he was a very special guy! He always said we'd meet one day... Well, maybe we will, just wait a little, Captain!

Stile, how true. Only a matter of time, we all are. Crossroads meet sooner or later.

Jimmy
stile - alpine likes this.

Italian Lover
post #10 of 31 Old 02-26-2017, 04:52 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
I regret that I didn't know him, especially as we live so nearby. RIP Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 31 Old 02-27-2017, 11:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
An Englishman and an American in Singapore

An Englishman and an American in Singapore….

It still hasn’t quite sunk in that Pete is no longer here to make a witty reply to my comment, or that I’m never again going to read about his adventures and how he always managed to turn ordinary events in to an epic tale.

It is clear from the tributes on his FB page that he was unique, and loved by everyone who knew him. In my own way, I would like to pay tribute to my Yankee brother and share some of my own experiences of Pete.

I’m Archie, a Brit, and Pete and I struck up our friendship just over a decade ago on the FerrariLife car forum. Pete was one of the first people to introduce himself, I was expecting the owners to be a bit posh, but he was down to earth, humorous, borderline offensive, cheeky, and had a warmth about him that I immediately felt at ease with.

Over the next couple of years Pete and I formed a double act on the forum, with Pete always the ringleader and bringing out the best and worst in me. We never posted about cars, we always posted about anything and everything but cars and tried our hardest to take other people’s posts off topic. Pete was usually posting about his guns or his right wing views and I’d argue back in my liberal English way, but it was always good natured banter. During that time, I also became friends with others like Tif, Mario, Breck, Lane, Guilherme, Bas…etc, who also joined in the banter and encouraged Pete to keep the threads going and even more off topic.

One day Pete decided he was going to set up a spoof company on the forum, with he and I as the co-owners, and in his typically un-pc manner called it Royal Archie & Pete Enterprises. The fictitious company was a Ferrari repair and mod shop, where we took in people’s beloved exotic sports cars and carried out horrendous bodged mods on them, and so began a whole series of boisterous threads about the fictitious goings on in our company.

Behind the scenes Pete was going through a messy and painful divorce, as was I at the same time. We would regularly message and e-mail each other, complaining about our lawyers and offering each other morale support. At the time, Pete was Captain of The Enterprise and working out of Singapore. I’ve always been a traveller, so jumped at the chance of going over to meet up with Pete, so we arranged to meet up the week of the 2009 F1 Singapore Grand Prix. Pete was going to sort out the tickets and a place to stay. He was convinced he could procure us a really nice company apartment, and through his contacts with Shell, could probably swing some VIP tickets, all for free, all I had to do was get a flight from The UK to Singapore and take plenty of beer money. My flight was booked immediately, and the countdown to Singapore had begun.

Meanwhile, back on the forum, our spoof company was planning its first Shareholders meeting in Singapore, with all posts typically boisterous.

About 3 days before I was due to fly out, Pete e-mailed me to confess that he hadn’t managed to get the VIP tickets, but instead he’d got the public access 3 day tickets, and he needed some money. That wasn’t really a problem , we could still have a laugh and have a few beers, and TBH I didn’t really want to be in a VIP tent eating canapes and truffles. He also confessed that the apartment he was hoping to get for us had fallen through, but it was OK, he’d booked us a hotel via one of his maritime friends in SG who assured him it was good, and was only 150USD a night. I arrived in SG a few hours before Pete and made my way to the hotel. As the taxi was taking me from the airport and into the city, I was immediately awestruck at the futuristic architecture and cleanliness of the downtown area, imagining how palatial our hotel would be. However, the taxi didn’t stop in the downtown district, it kept on going along The Serangoon Rd in to Little India, the streets were becoming a bit grubbier and eventually the taxi stopped outside a grotty run down hotel on the edge of the city. My heart sank as I checked in and saw the room we were staying in for the next week. It was a tiny damp and dark room, with just enough room for 2 single beds and a small table. The shower was dirty and mouldy and the door was falling apart. Feeling tired after the 20 hour journey, my bubble had burst.

Pete texted me a few hours later to say he was outside, I went down to meet him, and within 5 minutes we’d cracked open a bottle of single malt, some cans of beer, and some Marlboro’s, which set the tone for the next week! Over the next week, there was never a dull moment, Pete and I chatted about nothing and everything endlessly, telling each other stories of our adventures. Pete took me to his favourite bars, clubs, café’s and restaurants introducing me to most of his Singaporean and Filipino friends and some of his crew.

During that week, I had the most fun I’d ever had in a week. Typically we got in to a few scrapes and upset the hotel owner when we rolled in drunk around 3am and broke the doorlock to our room. The hotel owner had to drill the lock and handle off at 3.30 in the morning while Pete and I were cracking drunken jokes very loudly in the corridor, much to the annoyance of the owner, and no doubt the other guests.

Pete was working out in the far east at that time, and my own travels were regularly taking me to Asia, so we met up in Singapore several times over the next couple of years, while he was Captain of The Enterprise, and planned to meet in Hong Kong a few years ago, but Pete’s connecting flight was late, so we didn’t manage to meet up again.

When Pete was a consultant on the Chinese drill ship he e-mailed me in a panic. He was concerned about the location he was being told to go to because it was in disputed waters, and had convinced himself the Chinese had deliberately recruited him so that the US wouldn’t bomb his ship. Naturally, I reassured Pete that if a F-35 or a Reaper Drone came to take out the rig, he wouldn’t feel anything.

Over the years, Pete and I had a long history of banter and mockery, I always looked forward to reading his replies and comments on my posts. The last time we chatted was a few days before he was taken from us. He sent me a 25 cent coin that commemorated the 1777 British Surrender of the American territories. This was a fitting end to mine and Pete’s chats.

Pete may be gone, but I’ll never forget the fun times we had ribbing each other, nor the more serious chats we had helping each other through our various problems. I loved Pete like a brother and I’m going to miss his witty banter.

Rest in peace buddy.

Archie
post #12 of 31 Old 02-27-2017, 12:00 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Thanks for typing that Archie....it's really nice to read all these stories about Pete. He gave me so much motivation throughout college and after. He on several occasions throughout college sent me texts for good luck before exams. Such a great man. I will miss my middle of the night talks with him...
post #13 of 31 Old 02-27-2017, 02:11 PM
Owner

Garage
Archie and Chris. So good to see you back on board, albeit on this sad occasion.

Although I cannot claim the same intimacy as you two, no doubt in my mind that Pete was a genuine, warm hearted, jolly human being...one that we seem to miss so much these days.

Truly my condolences to his great family back in New England.

Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #14 of 31 Old 02-27-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
An Englishman and an American in Singapore….

It still hasn’t quite sunk in that Pete is no longer here to make a witty reply to my comment, or that I’m never again going to read about his adventures and how he always managed to turn ordinary events in to an epic tale.

It is clear from the tributes on his FB page that he was unique, and loved by everyone who knew him. In my own way, I would like to pay tribute to my Yankee brother and share some of my own experiences of Pete.

I’m Archie, a Brit, and Pete and I struck up our friendship just over a decade ago on the FerrariLife car forum. Pete was one of the first people to introduce himself, I was expecting the owners to be a bit posh, but he was down to earth, humorous, borderline offensive, cheeky, and had a warmth about him that I immediately felt at ease with.

Over the next couple of years Pete and I formed a double act on the forum, with Pete always the ringleader and bringing out the best and worst in me. We never posted about cars, we always posted about anything and everything but cars and tried our hardest to take other people’s posts off topic. Pete was usually posting about his guns or his right wing views and I’d argue back in my liberal English way, but it was always good natured banter. During that time, I also became friends with others like Tif, Mario, Breck, Lane, Guilherme, Bas…etc, who also joined in the banter and encouraged Pete to keep the threads going and even more off topic.

One day Pete decided he was going to set up a spoof company on the forum, with he and I as the co-owners, and in his typically un-pc manner called it Royal Archie & Pete Enterprises. The fictitious company was a Ferrari repair and mod shop, where we took in people’s beloved exotic sports cars and carried out horrendous bodged mods on them, and so began a whole series of boisterous threads about the fictitious goings on in our company.

Behind the scenes Pete was going through a messy and painful divorce, as was I at the same time. We would regularly message and e-mail each other, complaining about our lawyers and offering each other morale support. At the time, Pete was Captain of The Enterprise and working out of Singapore. I’ve always been a traveller, so jumped at the chance of going over to meet up with Pete, so we arranged to meet up the week of the 2009 F1 Singapore Grand Prix. Pete was going to sort out the tickets and a place to stay. He was convinced he could procure us a really nice company apartment, and through his contacts with Shell, could probably swing some VIP tickets, all for free, all I had to do was get a flight from The UK to Singapore and take plenty of beer money. My flight was booked immediately, and the countdown to Singapore had begun.

Meanwhile, back on the forum, our spoof company was planning its first Shareholders meeting in Singapore, with all posts typically boisterous.

About 3 days before I was due to fly out, Pete e-mailed me to confess that he hadn’t managed to get the VIP tickets, but instead he’d got the public access 3 day tickets, and he needed some money. That wasn’t really a problem , we could still have a laugh and have a few beers, and TBH I didn’t really want to be in a VIP tent eating canapes and truffles. He also confessed that the apartment he was hoping to get for us had fallen through, but it was OK, he’d booked us a hotel via one of his maritime friends in SG who assured him it was good, and was only 150USD a night. I arrived in SG a few hours before Pete and made my way to the hotel. As the taxi was taking me from the airport and into the city, I was immediately awestruck at the futuristic architecture and cleanliness of the downtown area, imagining how palatial our hotel would be. However, the taxi didn’t stop in the downtown district, it kept on going along The Serangoon Rd in to Little India, the streets were becoming a bit grubbier and eventually the taxi stopped outside a grotty run down hotel on the edge of the city. My heart sank as I checked in and saw the room we were staying in for the next week. It was a tiny damp and dark room, with just enough room for 2 single beds and a small table. The shower was dirty and mouldy and the door was falling apart. Feeling tired after the 20 hour journey, my bubble had burst.

Pete texted me a few hours later to say he was outside, I went down to meet him, and within 5 minutes we’d cracked open a bottle of single malt, some cans of beer, and some Marlboro’s, which set the tone for the next week! Over the next week, there was never a dull moment, Pete and I chatted about nothing and everything endlessly, telling each other stories of our adventures. Pete took me to his favourite bars, clubs, café’s and restaurants introducing me to most of his Singaporean and Filipino friends and some of his crew.

During that week, I had the most fun I’d ever had in a week. Typically we got in to a few scrapes and upset the hotel owner when we rolled in drunk around 3am and broke the doorlock to our room. The hotel owner had to drill the lock and handle off at 3.30 in the morning while Pete and I were cracking drunken jokes very loudly in the corridor, much to the annoyance of the owner, and no doubt the other guests.

Pete was working out in the far east at that time, and my own travels were regularly taking me to Asia, so we met up in Singapore several times over the next couple of years, while he was Captain of The Enterprise, and planned to meet in Hong Kong a few years ago, but Pete’s connecting flight was late, so we didn’t manage to meet up again.

When Pete was a consultant on the Chinese drill ship he e-mailed me in a panic. He was concerned about the location he was being told to go to because it was in disputed waters, and had convinced himself the Chinese had deliberately recruited him so that the US wouldn’t bomb his ship. Naturally, I reassured Pete that if a F-35 or a Reaper Drone came to take out the rig, he wouldn’t feel anything.

Over the years, Pete and I had a long history of banter and mockery, I always looked forward to reading his replies and comments on my posts. The last time we chatted was a few days before he was taken from us. He sent me a 25 cent coin that commemorated the 1777 British Surrender of the American territories. This was a fitting end to mine and Pete’s chats.

Pete may be gone, but I’ll never forget the fun times we had ribbing each other, nor the more serious chats we had helping each other through our various problems. I loved Pete like a brother and I’m going to miss his witty banter.

Rest in peace buddy.

Crap, Archie, you made me cry and burst in laughter hahahahahaha you guys were quite a pair

post #15 of 31 Old 02-27-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 (Real One) View Post
Thanks for typing that Archie....it's really nice to read all these stories about Pete. He gave me so much motivation throughout college and after. He on several occasions throughout college sent me texts for good luck before exams. Such a great man. I will miss my middle of the night talks with him...

He always had a nice word to say to us, wasn't it? Always motivated us, the "kids" in the forum. A great heart he was! I hope we all carry a little bit of Pete's loving characteristics through our life - probably the best way to honor his memory

post #16 of 31 Old 02-28-2017, 08:34 AM
Owner

Guilherme, writing that piece about Pete made me laugh and cry, but mainly laugh, especially because there are so many stories about Pete that I dare not publish, lol.

Chris - I'm sorry my friend, I didn't mention your name in the list of people I've kept in touch with. How could I forget you? You and Pete were the first people I added as friends in Facebook, straight after I returned from meeting up with Pete.

Jimmy - It's nice to see you are still on here, and I'm sorry it's so long since I've been here. I think I stopped coming on FLife, when most of my FLife friends became active on Facebook, and we kind of kept the silly FLife banter going on Facebook instead. I can remember when Pete and I met in Singapore, we were speaking about some of the original FLife crew, he spoke very affectionately about you and the others, and mentioned that he was hoping to hook up with you in Japan one day.

Archie
post #17 of 31 Old 02-28-2017, 08:40 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 (Real One) View Post

I can remember the encouraging posts he would write to you, Breck and Guilherme. The other day, I was looking through the photo's I took of the SG GP, looking for a good one of me and Pete. I found a pic of a McDonald's with Chinese writing on it. I can remember Pete saying to me "Arch, you gotta take a pic of that for Chris ". Back in those days you were at University and working at McDonalds, Pete was going to take photo's of different McD's around the world for you

Archie
post #18 of 31 Old 02-28-2017, 11:23 AM
Owner

Garage
You guys are all great even though we are all taking our own paths. My respect to Pete for his talent to be able to connect to people he met, in person or not. When Pete was going thru his divorce matter, we were communicating on the side too.

Although I am not very active in SNS mediums myself, I understand that we have all moved on to other modes of communication that are more direct. Crazy world we live in. Being the left behind generation myself, I am too lazy to keep up with all these new apps and modes of connecting.

Looking at the positive side, Pete was at home where he came from with his family and friends nearby. Sure gonna miss him tho, needless to mention.

Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #19 of 31 Old 02-28-2017, 11:33 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
I remember when we were all very active here (Pete, Styles, Chris, Archie, Jimmy, Lane, Bas and many, many more I forget) and some new fruitcakes would come here and try to disturb shit and after a while, I would drop the hammer and just lose it. I would reply some serious nasty shit, I would get an email from the moderators saying I was right but needed to calm down, then... an email from Pete "saying go get em Mario..." encouraging me to continue LOL.

Pete and I worked as a team on and off FL and we teased the crap out of Archie and yeah, the R.A.P.E. business.... (Royal Archie & Pete Enterprises) for those who missed it was a riot. These two were nuts with their modification/restoration shop antics.

Pete lived about a 6 hour drive away but we never got a chance to meet as schedules never really quite worked out because he was gone for weeks sometimes months at a time out of the country so we used to talk via email when he was on his drill ships, talked online on FL or live on FB when he had internet access or we spoke on the phone laughing our ass off when he was in Maine.

I used to tell Melanie (GF) that the main reason I keep my FB account was to talk to Pete. My 2 girls used to talk to Pete via me on FB, they called him Uncle Pete, and he was so happy about that. I'm an only child and so is Melanie and I once told him that my girls call him Uncle Pete and he said he was honored to be considered their uncle. He told me that, if anything would ever happen to me, he would look over the girls for me if they needed anything and knowing Pete, he meant it.

On Tuesday the 21st the last day that Pete was with us, Mel asked me, how's Pete doing? does he still have his plane? I said yeah he does... and that I haven't' spoken to him in a few days, but saw his pic about his haircut and a coin to Archie. She says Archie, that guy from the UK who takes those amazing pictures you keep showing me? I say yeah, that's the guy. She says, well the next time you talk to him, tell him I said hi. And that was the last time he was with us.

Last year when I lost my Mom, Pete was there for me, we spoke a lot, it was a hard time for me, with now both parents gone and not having any siblings. I had lots of bad luck the last few years, almost a month after buying my first Fcar, I lost all my friends (3) to jealousy for buying Ferrari (long story), then a few weeks later I lost my job to cuts and layoffs from a small software company I was working for. Struggled for months, and I just continued to have bad luck over bad luck for almost 6 years which included me losing a valuable work contract when I broke my foot 2 days before signing a new work contract. I was off for almost 6 months with no medical benefits, unemployment benefits, nothing, living a separation and money was super tight. Then working small contracts a few months here and there slowly trying to get back on my feet. But what or who was always there? Pete was, his encouraging messages/posts, just Pete being a good friend. He had taken a lot of time off saying he had a good financial cushion and working in unsafe working conditions was not worth it since he didn't need the money. So we spoke almost daily and sometimes a few hours a day and our friendship grew even more. You really get to know someone after a while. He knew Melanie and the girls and they knew him through me and his pictures. Yeah we never broke bread together, but he was my best friend. Its sometimes hard to comprehend how much we affect each others lives through FB, emails and phone calls but we do.

I tried to get him to come back here a few months ago to help revive my "Killing Threads" threads but he had a really hard time getting back in with the login and password crap (Chris did manage to come back but now has a slightly different name) and he was all pissed at the fact that it wasn't working and gave up trying by saying, why would I go back? I have all my friends from there on my fb account and if others want to join me they can. So we both continued to talk on fb and he shared his daily funny stories about going to the store, meeting people, his truck and plow stories and messing around in his yard plowing his grass, conversation about politics that were simple, but accurate and funny as hell too sometimes.

He once said to me, "Mario, you belong in Texas, you are not supposed to live in Canada, you are too Texan to be there.". Then one day he sends me this funny quiz that said, where do you come from and holy fuck, when I was done the goddam quiz said, you come from Texas. I laughed so hard, told him about it and we had a good laugh. He used to say, you would love living in Maine, you can shoot guns in your back yard, rifles, handgun whatever. You just need a written note from your neighbors and you're good to go.

Pete lived a big life, did many things, traveled the world, drove cool cars, owned a plane (without a license, and that's another story) and had many family and friends who loved him. I miss him a lot, I think about him every day and yeah, I'm having a hard time dealing with it...

P.S. I got your message Archie, thanks.

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by Magnum6464; 02-28-2017 at 11:40 AM.
post #20 of 31 Old 02-28-2017, 11:58 AM
Owner

Hey Mario, that password thing is a pain in the ass, I had to email the admin and ask them to reset mine. Got there in the end though.
I left the forum about 7 yrs ago, when we all hooked up on Facebook. Haven't been on here since, but with the sad events, thought I'd come back one last time to pay my respects to Pete.
I was trawling through some old PM's from Pete from around 2009, the last ones were just after you'd been banned for your colourful language. Pete forwarded me a message from the person who'd got you banned, it was an evil message. We'd been chatting about informing Andrew and getting you reinstated. I can't take any credit for that, but I remember Pete was fuming in Singapore, he'd logged in from his lap top in the hotel room, and the ring leader of all the crap was posting offensive rubbish about what me and Pete were up to. I think it was then that he messaged Andrew, and within a few days we were all welcoming you back.
Oh your troll busting posts were legendary, been laughing to myself today about them and reminiscing about the good old days on here

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode