Driving Gloves - Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life Ferrari Life Community & Regional Chapters Driver's Lounge ::

Driving Gloves


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
Owner
Elite Member
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,263
Default Driving Gloves

Folks
Anyone own a pair of these?
Leather and knit gloves - Ferrari Store

Or any other suggestions for a good pair of classic looking driving gloves?


Ferrari's: 612 Scaglietti, 360 Modena, Dino 308 GT4
Other Italians: Ducati 916, Ducati 848
DD's: LR Discovery, RR Sport
Fiorano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
Owner
Elite Member
 
550JM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,104
Name: Jeroen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Folks
Anyone own a pair of these?
Leather and knit gloves - Ferrari Store

Or any other suggestions for a good pair of classic looking driving gloves?
Actually looking for the same! Am I the only one that doesn't really like the fingerless ones that makes you look like a Tour de France cyclist? (no offense....)


Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
550JM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
Owner
Elite Member
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550JM View Post
Actually looking for the same! Am I the only one that doesn't really like the fingerless ones that makes you look like a Tour de France cyclist? (no offense....)

I actually have a pair of the fingerless ones for the 360 (but you'll have to work harder than that to offend me ) A big plus is that you can use your iPhone whilst wearing them (obviously whilst parked in the hard shoulder officer )

I thought a pair of string back ones would be a little more in keeping with an older car.


Ferrari's: 612 Scaglietti, 360 Modena, Dino 308 GT4
Other Italians: Ducati 916, Ducati 848
DD's: LR Discovery, RR Sport
Fiorano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
Owner
Elite Member
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Folks
Anyone own a pair of these?
Leather and knit gloves - Ferrari Store

Or any other suggestions for a good pair of classic looking driving gloves?
Barry I have that type of gloves from Ferrari, bought it 5-6 years ago and they still look like new. Very good quality. They are perfect, light and great in summer when its hot. I do not always wear them, only if I have the wooden Nardi wheel on "D". 70% of the time I have the leather steering wheel on "D". For that, I prefer naked hands on leather. But the gloves are very good.
212Export is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
Owner
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,434
Name: David
Default

I use a pair of Sparco racing gloves. I've taken out the foam padding in the palms so they provide more feel. I also use the same pair when flying. The suede palms are far superior than our gov-issue smooth leather ones, esp when wet.


Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
Killer58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Owner
Elite Member
 
550JM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,104
Name: Jeroen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
For that, I prefer naked hands on leather. But the gloves are very good.
Thanks for sharing your deepest feelings! And that leather would be wrapped around eehhhmm.....what exactly?


Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
550JM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 8,475
Name: Ed
Default

not a glove man myself. unless i'm jumping a spin halyard!


"Half the quotations by famous people you see on the internet are complete bullsh*t." - Abraham Lincoln

Everything you heard is not true

Stop chatting and start living the ferrarilife!
wetpet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
Owner
Elite Member
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550JM View Post
Thanks for sharing your deepest feelings! And that leather would be wrapped around eehhhmm.....what exactly?
Hmmm... start to imagine just only now that the description leaves some options unanswered..I'm probably to deep into Ferrari's ....should probably ask wetpet for help on this....
212Export is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #9
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Kent, UK
Ferrari Life Posts: 62
Default

suede momo steering wheel. no gloves required.
spyder-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #10
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,512
Default

The whole concept of driving gloves is alien to me. Gloves are usually something I put on to protect my hands from freezing or being cut or bruised. It is the one article of clothing I always remove when I get in a car, not one I put on. If you are not driving a dump truck or on a race track I see no need for them.

Wife: "Can we go now?"
Husband: "No. Not until I find my gloves."
Wife: "Here, here's some gloves."
Husband: "No, not those gloves. My $222 knit-back, leather-palmed Ferrari driving gloves! You don't expect me to maneuver this car without them do you?"

Maybe I'm out of line but I'm disillusioned with Ferrari licensed mechandise. I was just at a Ferrari "boutique" in Singapore and a T-shirt was over $150. What!?!?

For $200 I can get 100 pairs of gloves in China that will work just fine. It will cost a little extra if you want them to say Ferrari.


Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 12:24 AM   #11
Owner
Elite Member
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,263
Default

I see you logic Pete. And half of me agrees. The other half likes the added enjoyment I get from pulling on the gloves and setting off on a drive. It's psychological as much as physical. I blame Capo, it was him who introduced me to my first laird on Fled 5!


Ferrari's: 612 Scaglietti, 360 Modena, Dino 308 GT4
Other Italians: Ducati 916, Ducati 848
DD's: LR Discovery, RR Sport
Fiorano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #12
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
I see you logic Pete. And half of me agrees. The other half likes the added enjoyment I get from pulling on the gloves and setting off on a drive. It's psychological as much as physical. I blame Capo, it was him who introduced me to my first laird on Fled 5!
I see your logic also Barry. It is that little extra that adds to the whole experience. My arguement consists of the fact that a $60 Timex watch serves the same function as a $10,000 Rolex. I would never buy a $10,000 Rolex. That's not me. I'm happy with a Timex. I'd rather spend that money on other things. But my fiance bought me a $2,500 swiss-made Titoni watch and I wear it everyday. Not something I'd buy for myself but it's something extra that makes me feel good and I think of her every morning when I put it on. And it makes her feel good knowing she gave me something that gives me enjoyment. Something I wouldn't have had if it wasn't for her.

My advice, Christmas is around the corner. Forget about buying the gloves and just drop a few hints around the old lady that you've seen these awesome gloves you'd like to get your hands on (or in as the case may be). She doesn't know what to get for Christmas the man that has everything. The man that just buys what he wants. Hint that you really want these gloves but aren't really sure if you should get them. She buys them. You are happy, she is happy. Win-win.


Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 03:52 AM   #13
Owner
Elite Member
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,695
Default

You are absolutely right, Pete, economically it makes no sense at all. But then why are we nor all driving Toyotas...... or wearing a walmart tie instead of a Ferragamo one....well we could discuss endlessly. At the end its a personal decision. Go for those gloves Barry if you like 'em...no second thought about.
Also, if anyone ever has driven a "heavy" car like a Daytona on twisty roads with a handpolished wooden Nardi steering wheel (I know Pete, I could get a wooden steering wheel for a thenth of the price in China, but maybe it would be folding in the center) he surely knows about the advantage of leather gloves. It may save your live.
212Export is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 04:07 AM   #14
Owner
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,434
Name: David
Default

In honor of the minimalist train of thought, I'm going to wear a loincloth and a pair of muskrat hides as driving shoes at City Dock tomorrow. We'll tell time with a sundial made out of a paint can lid and a stick. :-D

Just don't confuse me with Al....


Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
Killer58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 05:02 AM   #15
Owner
Elite Member
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
In honor of the minimalist train of thought, I'm going to wear a loincloth and a pair of muskrat hides as driving shoes at City Dock tomorrow. We'll tell time with a sundial made out of a paint can lid and a stick. :-D

Just don't confuse me with Al....
....
212Export is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #16
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 8,475
Name: Ed
Default

Smell the glove!!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Hmmm... start to imagine just only now that the description leaves some options unanswered..I'm probably to deep into Ferrari's ....should probably ask wetpet for help on this....
Attached Images
 


"Half the quotations by famous people you see on the internet are complete bullsh*t." - Abraham Lincoln

Everything you heard is not true

Stop chatting and start living the ferrarilife!
wetpet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
You are absolutely right, Pete, economically it makes no sense at all. But then why are we nor all driving Toyotas...... or wearing a walmart tie instead of a Ferragamo one....well we could discuss endlessly. At the end its a personal decision. Go for those gloves Barry if you like 'em...no second thought about.
Also, if anyone ever has driven a "heavy" car like a Daytona on twisty roads with a handpolished wooden Nardi steering wheel (I know Pete, I could get a wooden steering wheel for a thenth of the price in China, but maybe it would be folding in the center) he surely knows about the advantage of leather gloves. It may save your live.
Agreed. I've got a Ferrari in the garage instead of a Toyota so I am well aware of the advantage of buying things with the heart instead of the brain. Stuff that makes you feel good. Christ, now I want these freakin' gloves!

I do think you went a little far saying a pair of good leather gloves makes the difference between life and death in a Daytona with a hand polished wooden Nardi steering wheel. Toyota ads show their cars driving on twisty roads by girls not wearing gloves. Hell, they show their trucks taking jumps without gloves. I'd get a different steering wheel no matter how good it looked if I knew risked death without gloves. If I went to a dealer to test drive a car and he said, "Here, put these gloves on first so we don't die." I'd think twice about buying that car.

Of course we are both exaggerating but it is the internet. Nothing personal. Does anyone know if a Toyota steering wheel fits a Daytona?


Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #18
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Smell the glove!!!
The gloves for that should be latex, not leather.


Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #19
Owner
Elite Member
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Smell the glove!!!
I knew it....wetpet is the definitive walking encyclopedia on this
212Export is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #20
Owner
Elite Member
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Agreed. I've got a Ferrari in the garage instead of a Toyota so I am well aware of the advantage of buying things with the heart instead of the brain. Stuff that makes you feel good. Christ, now I want these freakin' gloves!

I do think you went a little far saying a pair of good leather gloves makes the difference between life and death in a Daytona with a hand polished wooden Nardi steering wheel. Toyota ads show their cars driving on twisty roads by girls not wearing gloves. Hell, they show their trucks taking jumps without gloves. I'd get a different steering wheel no matter how good it looked if I knew risked death without gloves. If I went to a dealer to test drive a car and he said, "Here, put these gloves on first so we don't die." I'd think twice about buying that car.

Of course we are both exaggerating but it is the internet. Nothing personal. Does anyone know if a Toyota steering wheel fits a Daytona?
I guess I have to bend in...your arguments are just ...to strong !
212Export is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ferrari Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:47 PM.