spider HGTEs.... - Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life Ferrari Forum Ferrari Owners Current V8s: 458, California ::

spider HGTEs....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 184
Default spider HGTEs....

yea, gotta say i was really bored, so i took off the HGTEs from my 612 and put them on my spider, swap the original spider rims and put them on the 612.

i love the look of the challenge rims or even stocks on my spider, but i just wanted to experiment. The HGTEs are 2 kilos lighter each front and back than stock 458s, and the front HGTEs looks perfectly flush with the fenders while the rears look more recessed, but its just an illusion, because the numbers for the HGTEs are 0.5" wider with a 0.2" less aggressive offset so it should measure out almost the exact same with stocks, but it doesnt look it.
Looks great on the car, all in all, 458 or spiders likes 5 spoke rims, duh!

while the 458 rims look strange on a 612, the 612 looks much better with HGTEs or challenge rims, duh again! but the 458's better spec wheel made me wanna try it, mainly because its 0.5" wider front and back than my challenge rims and it is also 1 kilo lighter each front and rear. So i did this more for performance reasons...., yeaaaaa, ok, i was bored.

the modern day 20" ferrari wheels are almost all compatible with each other, so it is really great fun swapping them around. I know that all my current wheels are swapable after studying the numbers and getting good advice.
The last wheel i like to try is the GTO wheels on my spider. I already know that it will look ok with the 612, but im afraid that it will stick out too much in the front, "2cm" to be exact, compared to the HGTEs i have on my spider now. So this might make the car look like a low rider. But the extra weight savings and wider possible front tire is tempting..... stay tuned. Never know when i get bored again!

will have driving impressions of both after a week, and will sure have REAL pics later :

Last edited by johns930; 08-22-2012 at 02:18 AM.
johns930 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 106
Name: Jesse

Looks good
Testarossa-RSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,210
Name: Terry H Phillips

John- I really like the HGTE rims on the 458 and the 458 rims look great on the 612. Lightens the look of the car without looking fuddy-duddy like the 612 19", five spoke wheels.

On the 458, many Ferrari rear wheels look inset in the rear wheelwell and a set of 25 mm Hill Engineering Type 2 spacers brings them out nicely, while still using the stock wheel bolts. Another something to try when you get bored.

GTO wheels will fit the stock 599, we asked Ferrari, but I am not sure about the fronts for the 612, since the fronts are 9.5Jx20, a full inch wider than your HGTE wheels. The rears are only 1/2" wider (11.5Jx20) than the HGTE wheels, so should be no problem.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Owner

just checked them out but they don't have the 114 pattern for 458s on their type 2.
maybe I should call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
a set of 25 mm Hill Engineering Type 2 spacers brings them out nicely, while still using the stock wheel bolts. .
Old 08-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Owner
Elite Member

John- Curses, forgot that. You are correct. My car has the 108 mm bolt pattern, not the 114.3 mm. If you get some from someone else, make sure they have hardened inserts like the HE spacers. Threaded aluminum is way too easy to crossthread and not strong enough, in my opinion.

This company offers spacers for Ferraris with 114.3 mm bolt pattern, but like HE's, they only have the type that requires longer wheel bolts.

spurverbreiterung - Ferrari inkl. Spider&typ=F 142

These are the type you do not want, where the wheel bolts are threaded into aluminum. I bought a used set of H&R spacers for my car and they were so badly crossthreaded, my techs tossed them.

http://www.optionsauto.com/prodinfo....mber=HR5065670

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Last edited by tazandjan; 08-22-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Owner

thanks so much taz, ur a life saver as always.
i really dislike spacers, but if i look at it some more and think its too tugged in, i know some 15 or even 20mm spacers will make them look great!
i'll do a pro shoot again and see what i think.

Quote:
John- Curses, forgot that. You are correct. My car has the 108 mm bolt pattern, not the 114.3 mm. If you get some from ...
Old 08-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
Owner
Elite Member

John- I accidentally referenced the same site twice. These are the ones you do not want. Aluminum threads.

Incidentally, wheel spacers are a factory option for Porsches.

H&R SPACER: FERRARI 599 GTB 06-UP (25MM)-Options Auto Salon - Sport Compact Car Performance Parts

Taz
Terry Phillips

Old 08-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Owner

thanks man, i can get them made locally too, will keep what u said in mind.
im pondering now.

Quote:
John- I accidentally referenced the same site twice. These are the ones you do not want. Aluminum threads.

Incidentally, wheel spacers are a factory option for Porsches.

H&R SPACER: FERRARI 599 GTB 06-UP (25MM)-Options Auto Salon - Sport Compact Car Performance Parts
Old 09-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
Owner

more :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ferrari Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.