Attention - Password and Security Update - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-14-2016, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 92
Attention - Password and Security Update

Hello all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-15-2016, 06:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,426
Thanks for that. While it sounds like being a bit of a pain (and no, I am not "fluffy", either by name or nature!), it's good to know you are taking precautions.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC (in restoration), 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #3 of 8 Old 06-15-2016, 09:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 332
Sorry but I think you're wasting your time doing this. Why do you need enhanced security anyway? It is a web forum and you haven't got my bank details or anything. It is for users to decide how complex or otherwise they want their passwords which will surely depend upon how significant it would be for their account to be hacked on any given site. The only reason I can see that anyone might even bother to try to hack this site is on the basis that people might be using the same passwords here as for other sites of greater significance. Even then, if they looked at the home page first - which has as "news" items from nearly a year ago - and look at how little traffic there has been recently, they would surely conclude it wasn't worth the effort. That is even assuming that anyone seriously still believes that forcing people to put numbers or whatever in their passwords actually increases security.

I respectfully suggest you spend your time doing something more useful like updating the home page and fixing broken links to the Buyers' Guides.

Jonathan

post #4 of 8 Old 06-17-2016, 11:06 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 97
Garage
Yup, don't like it either.....lower case, upper case, numbers, symbols...really? It's not safe if I have to write it down somewhere lol

Наздраве, Цветан!
post #5 of 8 Old 06-22-2016, 07:07 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 333
This is a wonderful site and I can appreciate the pride the owners have. Having said that it is a site where people exchange non-critical information or am I mistaken and critical financial information is shared here? The password requirements are more stringent than my banks. If I have to come up with a new complicated password every year, it is likely I will stop coming to this site. Yes I changed my password to meet the requirements but this is ridiculous. :-)

ps. Keep in mind many people may give up in frustration when initially attempting to sign-up. The idea should be to make it easy and convenient for people to come to this site. The new password policy is making it hard.

2006 Ferrari F430 Coupé,

Last edited by efg2014; 06-22-2016 at 07:22 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-22-2016, 02:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,143
I almost threw in the towel after the third day.
The Admins contacted me the day AFTER I managed to get the password changed, only to reset it again!

But all is good now.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-23-2016, 03:07 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 18
Hi,

For Mac users I would recommend buying 1Password (also on iOS for apple phone/ipad). I have been using it for years as an IT guy and you just need to remember one 'vault' password and then it stores all your web logins (amonst other things). I also have credit card info and lots of other stuff. means I use a 1 click to book flights etc without having to hand fill out all these web forms as well as not having to remember username/passwords. I got hacked previously and had to change literally hundreds of accounts online. Now I use a randmon 32 character password with numbers and symbols which is extermely hard to crack.

Of course each to their own but unless its likely someone can get on your machine and knows your vault password its highly secure and encypted (there is no way to decrypt if you loose the vault password).

Hope that helps some peeps.

Regards
post #8 of 8 Old 06-23-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by efg2014 View Post
This is a wonderful site and I can appreciate the pride the owners have. Having said that it is a site where people exchange non-critical information or am I mistaken and critical financial information is shared here? The password requirements are more stringent than my banks. If I have to come up with a new complicated password every year, it is likely I will stop coming to this site. Yes I changed my password to meet the requirements but this is ridiculous. :-)

ps. Keep in mind many people may give up in frustration when initially attempting to sign-up. The idea should be to make it easy and convenient for people to come to this site. The new password policy is making it hard.

We can revisit this as a site and change it later to meet the sites needs, right now we needed to find a solution. We used industry standers and copied the other companys with similar issues and how they responded.

Everything can be changed, nothing is permanent

Helena

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode